U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 PM

25,801 posts, read 49,685,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The comparison starts at 1977. I was not 30 until 1982, but at that age I was married with one kid, we had been in our first purchased home for 4 years, no debt from college or graduate school for either of us. I was in the 7th year of my career and after 4 promotions was a supervisor, making about $36,000 ($18.75/hour).

I see some examples of the current issues such as college debt and living with parents at 30. I also see people now that age doing far better than I did, some right out of college starting a job at 6 figures. I know several in the 28-32 age group that have bought homes here in the expensive Seattle area. One of my employees, for example was married with one kid and bought a 3 unit apartment (lives in one) at age 31. There are others that are living comfortably and have bought homes without a college degree, and no debt. One for example did live with his parents until about age 27, but now 29 has a good tech job at Microsoft and bought a house.
Yep... I am seeing some amazing 25 to 30 year olds/couples doing very well... one I have posted about before are the first on both sides of the family with college degrees... he is African American and her family from the Philippines... public High School Sweethearts.

She became a RN at County and he is a Police Officer for a Bay Area City... at 25 they bought their first SF Bay Area home... started a family and now moved to a larger home...

The opportunities are amazing for those with the right work ethic and talent...

Plenty of other young people with very good jobs right out of college here in the SF Bay Area... if there were no good jobs... Real Estate could not be as expensive as it is... same for other areas with good jobs...

Another thing often left out... is those that were male 30 somethings were subject to the draft... but they also earned Housing and Education benefits via their service...

Growing up as a kid... their was not a house in the neighborhood where the father did not serve... it was nearly universal... most homes had VA loans.

The ironic thing is these same benefits are available today... daughter of a friend is 24 and just bought her first home as a single in Tacoma WA... she is military and stationed at Fort Lewis...

One of our new RN enlisted at 18 and used the Military to become a Nurse... no onerous college debt... she said it would not have been possible had she not served...

Minimum Wage here were $3.35 an hour in 1982...

Minimum Wage here now ranges from $13 to $15

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-29-2018 at 07:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 PM

College Credit in High School is not uncommon...

Stealth is from Oregon

https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/k12/hs/

https://www.oregon.gov/highered/poli...gh-school.aspx

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ndergrad-costs

Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
If you have an IQ of 145+ and an enterprising spirit you can do all that. I have to wonder what opportunities exist for someone of a little below average ability.
Step #1 for anyone seeking a career these days...

1) Realize that WAGE income is NOT likely gonna cut it (as in being an employee 'forever')

Wage income is 'incremental' Additive only. Takes a LOT of pennies to pay prices today (food, housing, insurance, EDU...). Gov LOVES your wage income (easy for them to tax / take).

Employers are RENTING your time
... best be wise who you rent your time to. Can you better invest your time?

Consider what you want to be in life, and HOW you are gonna get there... Benevolent employers are a thing of the past. You need initiative and ideas and tenacity to achieve success.

YOU will need to take control of this FAR more than your dad / grand-dad .... They had their own struggles, and they made it happen. (and thus... Here YOU are!)

It will take a different formula for this generation. Many have figured that out! They ALL better figure it out, as we are 'Globalized!!! and there is plenty of competition +/-, no / few EZ paths to success...

Follow-the-leader... is not a good plan.

enterprising spirit That needs to be nurtured, and people need to find their 'spot'. USA Public education enables / creates 'Followers', and that is very SAD. I have spent 40 yrs in Homeschool networks, (many kids had their own businesses as part of their education, many were farmers (had their own business out of necessity)) No geniuses that I know of.. but a lot of very enterprising youth.

I had many examples / necessity. My own dad's family was too broke to allow him live with them, so he started an Ice business at age 14, and hired (3) drivers. He loaded the trucks all night and fixed the trucks when he got home from school. His money flowed to his family (for decades).

I did much the same (left home at age 16 and had (3) jobs during High School (and for next 10+ yrs) 70- 80 hrs / week ). Unfortunately... my folks had illnesses / injury and went broke, so I needed to house and care for them, so... my initiative was 'provided'...

I used WAGE income...that was a VERY bad plan. (Too many hours, ONE accident and that plan is OVER!) (no time opportunity for college)

Fortunately, I also diversified into other sources of wealth building. That was essential.

Game's not over yet (but it could be any minute).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-29-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 PM

The point is people do make it and each generation has it's own obstacles to deal with...

I remember when mortgage rates were 15%... I got 2.75 fixed a couple of years ago.

My parents never in their wildest dreams would believe 2.75 exists.

Mom had a sister living overseas... it took 6 weeks for a letter to get anwered... now the cousins text back and forth inststantly... amazing times for sure when 10 year olds have world knowelge in the palm of their hand...

Not to keep harping... but a lot of what those that came before us acheived regarding housing and education was earned through military service and still exists...

I started paying into Social Security at age 12... made $50 a week and $20 went to the folks every Friday after I cashed my check... $20 to the bank, $4 and change witholding... and the rest was all mine...

Working at an early age is an educaiton in and of itself... especially when working for someone else with no family connections... I remember coming home saying I might quit... Dad telling me it is easy to quit but you don't want to go through life as a quitter...

My brothers all started working at a young age... at 12, my middle brother hired out as a Nevada ranch hand... no special treatment... meals in the cook shack... if you missed it too bad... Sunday off every other week... after Saturday payday...

Before someone says that was then... read this about 14 year olds earning 11 to $15 working real jobs... and in California too.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/...older-workers/

Old 07-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,774 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Actually, I'm 2 min NORTH of OR

FREE FULL TIME College INSTEAD of wasting your time in High School, available since 1990's....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Quote:
The point is people do make it and each generation has it's own obstacles to deal with...

I remember when mortgage rates were 15%... I got 2.75 fixed a couple of years ago.

Before someone says that was then... read this about 14 year olds earning 11 to $15 working real jobs... and in California too.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/...older-workers/
Search for Google and Apple intern pay !!!
$8,xxx / month.... (I was not making $8k / y until nearly 10 yrs into employment)

12-15 yrs ago... My kids did summer jobs as wild-land firefighter and Alaska Fishing ~ $10 -$12k / month. Phenomenal pay... kinda bad for your health.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Oops... sorry about the Oregon reference... I know better.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Yep... I am seeing some amazing 25 to 30 year olds/couples doing very well... one I have posted about before are the first on both sides of the family with college degrees... he is African American and her family from the Philippines... public High School Sweethearts.

She became a RN at County and he is a Police Officer for a Bay Area City... at 25 they bought their first SF Bay Area home... started a family and now moved to a larger home...

Plenty of other young people with very good jobs right out of college here in the SF Bay Area... if there were no good jobs... Real Estate could not be as expensive as it is... same for other areas with good jobs...

Another thing often left out... is those that were male 30 somethings were subject to the draft... but they also earned Housing and Education benefits via their service...

Growing up as a kid... their was not a house in the neighborhood where the father did not serve... it was nearly universal... most homes had VA loans.

The ironic thing is these same benefits are available today... daughter of a friend is 24 and just bought her first home as a single in Tacoma WA... she is military and stationed at Fort Lewis...

One of our new RN enlisted at 18 and used the Military to become a Nurse... no onerous college debt... she said it would not have been possible had she not served...

Minimum wage doesn’t have a range in each state. What state are you in? In New Jersey it’s $8.60 an hour.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 AM

312 posts, read 201,364 times
I love when people reference the 15% interest rate on a home 30 yrs ago like the price of the home was the equivalent to today's median wages. smh

Old 07-30-2018, 07:51 AM

2,550 posts, read 1,623,402 times
Quote:

Good post. The key point point is ‘ right work ethic and talent’. Work ethic is becoming an antiquated phrase.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 AM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Good post. The key point point is ‘ right work ethic and talent’. Work ethic is becoming an antiquated phrase.
I have a great work ethic and s great job. The fact remains cost of living has risen much more than wages over the decades I’ve been working. Housing costs and health costs are a much larger percentage of income than in years past. And the amount of student debt for these good jobs is crippling kids today. They can’t start investing, buying homes etc till they’re middle aged, that simply was not the case when I went to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or