U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,183,522 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel like I am living in my car when I am sitting in traffic on the 405. Lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 AM

4,680 posts, read 2,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Irony at its best.
With one big difference. I OWN THE LAND and I just finished paying the taxes on it for this year. Maybe a definition of the word "squatter" needs to be posted here:

Definition of squatter

: one that squats: such as
a : one that settles on property without right or title or payment of rent
b : one that settles on public land under government regulation with the purpose of acquiring title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
By manufactured home do you mean double wide or conventional type home?
I'd opt for a single wide if I could. A double wide is just too large. I don't need all that room. My house was a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath manufactured home and I ended up using the two bedrooms for storage and never used the other bathroom. You can get single wide manufactured homes.

But I may not have a choice. I'll get whatever is in the best condition for the lowest price. That means I'll take what's available when it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Sometimes I feel like I am living in my car when I am sitting in traffic on the 405. Lol
Well, there's that, too. The only thing worse is when you see the same people every day and pretty soon you're exchanging names.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
With one big difference. I OWN THE LAND and I just finished paying the taxes on it for this year. Maybe a definition of the word "squatter" needs to be posted here:

Definition of squatter

b : one that settles on public land under government regulation with the purpose of acquiring title

I'd opt for a single wide if I could. A double wide is just too large. I don't need all that room. My house was a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath manufactured home and I ended up using the two bedrooms for storage and never used the other bathroom. You can get single wide manufactured homes.

But I may not have a choice. I'll get whatever is in the best condition for the lowest price. That means I'll take what's available when it's available.

Well, there's that, too. The only thing worse is when you see the same people every day and pretty soon you're exchanging names.
You completely missed the irony. You started a thread advocating for helping the homeless and yet are worried about squatters (aka the homeless) on your private land and are taking steps to keep them out. That seems very unhelpful. You have a big lot, why not carve out a corner where car living homeless folks can park without fear of being hassled?

irony
ˈīrənē/
noun

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-14-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 03:51 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Quote:
..........At any rate, this seems to work in this instance. I'm wondering if it could be scaled up. What do you guys think?
I'm fine with it as long as a private charity is doing it without taxpayer money and as long as there is sewage and garbage control and the church will not tolerate any crazy behavior or crime. Also, as long as they prevent their homeless guests from harassing the neighbors.

If a church wants to adopt and care for homeless people, that is their decision.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,709,369 times
Quote:

Definition of squatter

I doubt a single wide mobile home is going to worth $150,000 on the lot you have. Will the covenants even allow a single wide parked there?

Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You completely missed the irony. You started a thread advocating for helping the homeless and yet are worried about squatters (aka the homeless) on your private land and are taking steps to keep them out. That seems very unhelpful. You have a big lot, why not carve out a corner where car living homeless folks can park without fear of being hassled?

irony
ˈīrənē/
noun

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
I see your point, but you forget, I'll also have my stuff in storage on the lot and the water hooked up. If it was just people living on the land, that would be one thing. But the squatters in this area have broken into houses and sheds before this. I'd like to keep at least some of the things I have.

Besides, that, we're only allowed to use 500 gallons of water per day. What if someone turns on the faucet and doesn't turn it off again? And then of course, there's adverse possession of the property and a possible lawsuit if someone gets hurt.

There's a big difference between someone sleeping in their RV parked on a public street or someone reading while sitting in their car in a public park and someone breaking into a house or shed or trying to live on private land.

I've stated that I will be homeless by choice because if I hadn't said that, guess who would complain about me not saying it? My being homeless is in the eye of the beholder, however. I don't see myself as needing help or being homeless in the way most people think of homelessness. I have myself taken care of and I would still like to find a way to help others, but I have never recommended helping the homeless by putting them on someone's private property.

While I lived in my truck years ago, I felt the same way. At that time I had a safe place to park, a full time job, and was attending community college full time. Anyone else might have felt sorry for me. But I didn't consider myself homeless then as much as I looked on it as an opportunity to pay off some large bills. Less than ten years after I was living in my truck, I owned a house. So don't talk down to me. I might have limitations, but I mostly know what those are, and I know what I'm capable of as well. Just because I'm doing something someone else can't or won't do to get ahead in life doesn't mean I'm less of a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I doubt a single wide mobile home is going to worth $150,000 on the lot you have. Will the covenants even allow a single wide parked there?
It will be close, more or less. I've seen many lots up here that have an old (1978 to 1985) double wide manufactured home on an acre or so and some of those mobiles on land go for over $200,000. And mine won't be parked temporarily. It will be permanently attached to the land, never to be moved again unless I win the lottery and can bring in something better.

Not too far from my lot, I bought land (about .45 of an acre) and put a double wide manufactured home on it in 2003 for $85,000. The last time it sold (guy that bought it from me lost it in 2008 and it was bank owned), it went for $122,000. And it's a tiny double wide, not more than 950 sq ft. So yeah, with a fixed up double wide, and even with a single wide, and the lot I have, in about 5 years it should be worth close to $150,000, unless the whole economy tanks again. And if it does, big deal. I won't have a mortgage, which is the point of me doing this whole thing.

There are no covenants where I'm living. No restrictions on the land. There's a yearly road maintenance fee and as far as I'm concerned, that's fine. The first year I moved up there in my house, the roads were still graveled and we had 15" of snow in two snowstorms. I was still commuting to work then. Shall we say that was a little thrilling. You haven't lived until your car slides downhill on a curvy road with the ABS lights all lit up.

Now the road is paved and there's guardrails and the road is kept up and in great condition. And after having seen some roads up here in the hills, that's saying a lot.

This is a double wide manufactured home, although a newer one:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Belfair/41.../home/16740406

This one is an older single wide:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Shelton/12.../home/16734059

This one's in Union, just across the Hood Canal from me:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Union/450-.../home/16719831

These are pretty typical. You can get properties like this a little cheaper further out, or closer in for more money.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 08-14-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 PM

4,725 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Quote:
I'll also have my stuff in storage on the lot and the water hooked up. If it was just people living on the land, that would be one thing. But the squatters in this area have broken into houses and sheds before this.
So we need to help the indigent, but that help doesn't include a bit of your land if there is a chance they might take some of your stuff?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So we need to help the indigent, but that help doesn't include a bit of your land if there is a chance they might take some of your stuff?

Again: private vs public.

When did I ask YOU to give up some of YOUR land for the homeless? I haven't, have I?

There are ways and ways to help the homeless and letting them squat in the woods on private property isn't one of them. I also don't advocate anyone taking a homeless person off the street and giving them a bedroom in their house. I don't advocate allowing a homeless person to sleep in someone's vehicle when they're off work for the night.

If I was advocating these things, then you'd be right to call me out for it. But I'm not.

There has to be ways to help the homeless and they need to be sensible ways that are sustainable over time. Your suggestions saying they should be on my land because I want the homeless to be helped is as ridiculous as someone saying the homeless should all be rounded up in a camp. Neither of those suggestions are a way to seriously help the homeless.

Meantime, yes, I AM helping someone who needs a place to live by giving her a place to squat on the land. ME. And by doing that, I free up a subsidized room for someone else who is living on the streets. Complete with electric, garbage, and water paid, a safe environment, and if that person has no income it's free. That's more than I can offer someone if they want to live on my land.

In addition, I'll continue to attend city meetings and try to work out other ways to help as well.

So what problem are you having with that?

You know, you don't have to help anyone if you don't want to. But why are you wasting so much time and energy running down other people who do want to do something? If you don't like it, walk away. Your choice. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or