U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 AM

822 posts, read 276,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
When you want more of something, subsidize it with government funding.
Want higher tuition? More government funding. Medical costs? yup. Infrastructure costs going up? Yup throw in more government funding.
Ironically if you help the homeless, you create more homeless.
Wow, I'm glad I read on before posting because I was about to say the exact same thing!
My wording would be 'Insurance ALWAYS INCREASES the incidence of that which it insures against'.

This is the unintended and unacknowledged consequence of all interventions that claim to reduce failure.
Whether it is 'life' insurance (actually death insurance, but it's harder to sell if called that), fire insurance, unemployment insurance or 'poverty insurance' (i.e. handouts, subsidies, etc.) you will get more of it.

The big question is always 'Is it worth it?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 AM

3,458 posts, read 5,095,015 times
Interesting that Sly Stone of Sly and the Family Stone was living in an RV in a Los Angeles neighborhood, apparently by choice. Probably one of the benefits of being a celebrity is that many would have no problem with you being parked outside their house.

Exclusive: Sly Stone is NOT Homeless (Update) | Showbiz411

Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM

7,145 posts, read 5,956,039 times
If people are discrete about their sleeping in their vehicles they won't get caught. The best way to do that is to convert a station wagon or van, and not use either a car, where someone will see you in there, or a motorhome, where it's obvious people are sleeping in there. If you can make yourself invisible and use a single parking spot, it gives you a lot more freedom in choosing places to park.

It's the old adage about "what people don't know won't hurt them..."

On the other hand, pull a motorhome into a wal-mart parking lot and pull out some lawn chairs and a gas grill and sit around having a cookout while people are driving right by you, and of course people are going to get upset and ask you to leave.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM

15,198 posts, read 15,225,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If people are discrete about their sleeping in their vehicles they won't get caught. The best way to do that is to convert a station wagon or van, and not use either a car, where someone will see you in there, or a motorhome, where it's obvious people are sleeping in there. If you can make yourself invisible and use a single parking spot, it gives you a lot more freedom in choosing places to park.

It's the old adage about "what people don't know won't hurt them..."

On the other hand, pull a motorhome into a wal-mart parking lot and pull out some lawn chairs and a gas grill and sit around having a cookout while people are driving right by you, and of course people are going to get upset and ask you to leave.

Yeah, I agree with your post. I live in my van and am very low-key and respectful when I park.....don't barbecue or have pitbulls running about. But I still get hassled on occasion.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:51 PM

6,158 posts, read 4,373,473 times
If they were homeless due to a tsunami, hurricane, or other natural disaster, the county would already be dotted with trailer villages and tent cities, courtesy of FEMA (unless in Puerto Rico, that is).

Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,153,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
These are the homeless that could be helped with lower housing costs. What can we do to help them?
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

This is a capitalistic society and Uncle Sam won't save you. As a black man, my demographic has the worst income and wealth in the country and yet some of us still think the government will change it. They won't and they can't.

You gotta' pick up your bootstraps and do it yourself.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:45 PM

18,870 posts, read 6,167,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

This is a capitalistic society and Uncle Sam won't save you. As a black man, my demographic has the worst income and wealth in the country and yet some of us still think the government will change it. They won't and they can't.

You gotta' pick up your bootstraps and do it yourself.
More MONEY is the GOD...no one cares about people. California housing has gone out of sight, it always was tough and I've been here over 50 yrs, but now at 80, it's tragic what is happening. $$$$$$$$$

Old 08-04-2018, 06:58 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,153,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
More MONEY is the GOD...no one cares about people. California housing has gone out of sight, it always was tough and I've been here over 50 yrs, but now at 80, it's tragic what is happening. $$$$$$$$$
Yes, welcome to a 1st world country where everything is expensive. Mexico is that way if you prefer cheaper housing.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,460,242 times
why not buy a tent and live in it?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 AM

64,699 posts, read 66,206,532 times
I would park in front of an address and paint that number on my vehicle ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or