U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM

497 posts, read 226,929 times

Advertisements

Depends what car... This by a lake would not be so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
More Americans Living in their Vehicles-ccmagna.jpg   More Americans Living in their Vehicles-coachcornerstone.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 AM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Depends what car...
It depends on how many are doing it. The degree of saturation in an area.

In too many places it's become an epidemic.
Their advocates see this as a reason to make it easier to do. They're nuts.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:05 PM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
You're ignoring those who live in RVs and travel to wherever the work is. Really no other way to do it.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:44 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When poor people need help conservatives say let the market decide, keep government out of it. Then when the market solution is that poor people start living under bridges and in old RVs on public streets the conservatives say, “Hey, the government has to stop this!”.

Actually...homeless people don't tend to flock to conservative cities.

San Francisco has the biggest homeless population in the country.

Washington D.C. is the 2nd most liberal city in the country and has the 6th largest homeless population

Seattle is the 3rd most liberal city in the country, and also has the 3rd largest homeless population.

Here's the top 10 cities with large homeless populations.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Seattle
4. San Diego
5. Las Vegas
6. Washington D.C.
7. Chicago
8. San Francisco
9. Honolulu
10. Portland

Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,897,196 times
It makes more sense getting out of a worse situation such as living in a car by moving to a red state than staying in a blue state that re-enforces it.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM

5,097 posts, read 1,453,831 times
you can live in a car but you can't drive a house. Living in a car just makes sense these days for the indigent. Get one with a big back seat.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,296,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why not buy a tent and live in it?

And put it where? This is what so much of the problem is in San Francisco and Seattle. Tents set up on sidewalks.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure ALL homeless people, especially the ones in cars and RVs, are homeless by choice. I would be really interested to know if those of you who think that people are homeless because of choice and poor decisions have ever really spoken to or know any homeless person personally. I'm not talking about your aunt's deadbeat son, but I mean, have you ever really spoken to the people living in their cars and RVs?

Do you know how many lost their homes when the economy tanked in 2008? Or how many of them lost their savings when Madoff stole their money? How many of them are there because of an accident or a medical emergency that took all their savings? Or lost their homes in a natural disaster? Or lost their pensions when their businesses collapsed or were bought out by another company? Or people who have been divorced and lost their money and home to the other spouse?

Are these really the people you're talking about when you say they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Do you really think people that are between 55 and 75 are going to be able to do that? Do you really think those who are disabled will be able to work their way out of poverty? Is this the group of people you think you're enabling when they're given help?

And what about those who are already working a full time job? Is giving help to those people enabling?

Having said all that, I will be homeless by choice. But although I'm not working (I'm disabled), I choose to be homeless because I can save more money faster that way and I'm saving money for a home I want to put on a lot I bought. I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs.

But still, if you were to go to the park and see me sitting in my car reading, it would be obvious that I live in that car. My circumstances may be different, but I am still a person in a car that people will judge without bothering to find out why I'm there. They'll say they're enabling me if I were to get help, or that I should be rounded up and put in a camp, or that I should move to a cheaper place so I can afford to rent an apartment. They'd say I couldn't work because I was a drug addict or an alcoholic, or that I made poor life choices, or that I was lazy, and the only thing they'd get right would be that I was homeless by choice. However, if you asked anyone, they'd probably never correctly guess what that choice was.

And no one will ask. All they'll do is judge. That's why I'm asking you guys if you know any homeless people who live in their cars or vans or RVs and do you know for sure why they're there, before talking smack about them? And is it really so terrible to offer them help (not me, by the way - I don't need any help)?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 08-06-2018 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,296,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Seattle
4. San Diego
5. Las Vegas
6. Washington D.C.
7. Chicago
8. San Francisco
9. Honolulu
10. Portland
Except for Chicago and Las Vegas, those are all coastal cities. And there's also this:

The Top 10 Largest U.S. Cities by Population
  • New York City, NY. Population: 8,550,405
  • Los Angeles, CA. Population: 3,971,883
  • Chicago, IL. Population: 2,720,546
  • Houston, TX. Population: 2,296,224
  • Philadelphia, PA. Population: 1,567,442
  • Phoenix, AZ. Population: 1,563,025
  • San Antonio, TX. Population: 1,469,845
  • San Diego, CA. Population: 1,394,928
  • Dallas, TX Population 1,300,092
  • San Jose, CA Population 1,026,908

Four of those cities match the cities on the first list. San Jose is in the Bay Area, as is San Francisco. Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas are not coastal cities. I really don't think it's coincidence that those cities are the same in both lists. Larger cities are more tolerant of different people, different races, different cultures, different living styles. It's easier to blend in to a larger city if you're homeless. There is more transportation, more services, more everything in a larger city. I'm sure weather is part of it, but at the same time, I'm not sure that the largest homeless populations aren't just a percentage of the largest cities. Who would "choose" to be homeless in New York and Chicago because of the weather?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Actually...homeless people don't tend to flock to conservative cities.

San Francisco has the biggest homeless population in the country.

Washington D.C. is the 2nd most liberal city in the country and has the 6th largest homeless population

Seattle is the 3rd most liberal city in the country, and also has the 3rd largest homeless population.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Seattle
4. San Diego
5. Las Vegas
6. Washington D.C.
7. Chicago
8. San Francisco
9. Honolulu
10. Portland

All run by Democrats or left-leaning independents where Democrats outnumber Republicans. And all located in states that are Democrat. Every single one of those cities and the states they are located in went for Hillary.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Don't help me...Really. I have lived out of my vehicle since 2012. I LOVE it. I can go where I want, not worry about someone breaking into my "Home" while at work. I admit, I pay nothing towards certain things that people with property do pay. But then I don't worry.

I even had a co-worker (Who I have told several times I'm happy) come to me about a program for people living in vehicles..."Look, Hon, how often have I said "I like living like this"?

She replied "Several times"

"Do you think I'm lying?"

"No, but you need.."

"I need you to stop trying to make me live like you do. To try and help me. I don't need it"

I make between $29K-$35K (With OT) so you can see. I'm doing good. In 9 months I should clear the $15K in debt I have and then get a new (To me) van
And now your posts in the work and employment forum make perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or