Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it work? (Elaborate)
Yes 2 7.69%
No 22 84.62%
Maybe 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:02 PM

508 posts, read 615,788 times

Advertisements

Let's say the Federal Government cut Corporate Taxes to 0% and mandated a minimum wage of $24 per hour for large corporations and $15 per hour for small businesses. Both would increase with future inflation. Is this something that could potentially work? Keep in mind that the Corporate Tax would be cut to 0% so inflation would probably be minimal and other jobs would be created because there would be more money, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM

27,179 posts, read 43,867,759 times
It would most likely work but the oligarchy we now live in versus a true democracy would never allow for it. If and when the practice of employing CEOs and other top brass who feed at the trough of corporate profits becomes more restricted, there's a chance perhaps.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM

319 posts, read 664,823 times
Corporate tax rate would be near irrelevant (in this scenario) because salaries are deducted from income.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Let's say the Federal Government cut Corporate Taxes to 0% and...
Let's say the Federal Government... mandated a (much higher) minimum wage...

Is this (offset) something that could potentially work?
Not likely.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
Would WHAT work??

There is a minimum wage. There are corporate taxes. Life goes on. What's not working, or what is?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
1. The corporate income tax can’t and won’t go away. That’s a non-starter. Not to mention, why in the hell would a reduction in one expense (taxes) result in another random expense increasing...just because. If the price of aluminum in my widget goes down and I have more money, does that mean I need to pay my employees more for the same production? No.

2. You can’t legislate labor to be ACTUALLY be more valuable. It will simply be eliminated, and the new minimum for those left behind will become zero.

3. Once people flipping burgers go from 8 to 24 an hour, when does my raise from 45 to 61 kick in? And what do you expect will happen to the quality of small business labor when I only get 15 an hour flipping burgers at joes local burger place...but McDonald’s has to pay 24 for the same burger flipper? Why do they have to pay more for the same value of labor? Your lust for the deep pocket syndrome?

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-15-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 AM

57 posts, read 65,300 times
This line of thinking is flawed, so here's a simple counterfactual to illustrate.

The current scenario:
ABC Company makes and sells its products with no cost of production except labor and they have a 20% tax rate and labor costs of 50% of revenues.

Revenues: $100M
Labor Costs: $50M
Pre-Tax Profit: $50M
Taxes: $10M
Net Profit: $40M

The proposed scenario: all assumptions stay the same except corporate taxes are eliminated and labor costs rise by 50%

Revenues: $100M
Labor Costs: $75M
Pre-Tax Profit: $25M
Taxes: $0
Net Profit: $25M

This is to point out that corporate interests do not benefit from this arrangement so how would there ever be support for it from the monied interests?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,389 times
Not to mention it’s very punitive on certain industries

You take a company with fewer employees that may have higher average salaries like say Eli Lilly and compare that to a company with hundreds of thousands of low cost employees like a Walmart or a target. Service industry would be crushed whereas manufacturering may be largely untouched in certain industries. But then they still get the lowered taxes...

One gets punished on its labor cost much more steeply. So, in this bizarro world scenario you proposed, you’re not even always going after the bigger companies...you’re going after bigger companies in lower margin businesses that have a different business model.

Normally your ability to generate profits determines if your business model needs to be changed...but in your world you want to make an arbitrary decision that some business models of companies of an arbitrary size are no good.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-15-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,591,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Let's say the Federal Government cut Corporate Taxes to 0% and mandated a minimum wage of $24 per hour for large corporations and $15 per hour for small businesses. Both would increase with future inflation. Is this something that could potentially work? Keep in mind that the Corporate Tax would be cut to 0% so inflation would probably be minimal and other jobs would be created because there would be more money, etc.
Point of Failure:
I would place my business in CheapWorkeristan and sell to the rich US consumers, paying no tax in doing so.

To prevent that situation, you would need tariffs that adjust the price as high as the labor difference. By making labor even higher, the tariff amount would become obscene and trigger WTO issues, as well as driving up the price of inputs for domestic industries.

It's totally cool to think of ideas though. It's just a lot more nuanced in reality.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Shows how people have been brainwashed to think they only "make it' when their foot is on the neck of others. The Rat Race has hit it's perfect stride.....never did I imagine.

I made $5 an house at unskilled or slightly skilled labor in rural TN in 1974.
I made the same or more in NJ...in 1976.

Those wages, adjusted for basic inflation, would be $23 to $27 an hour today.

Yet people have been brainwashed...and, let's face, those doing the brainwashing are VERY rich people (Heritage, Cato, Kochs, Mercers and many others) to say that I must have become wealthy making that $5 an hour.

In fact, it was so little that I, a semi-skilled framing carpenter (by 76...in 74 I was not) that I stopped doing that particular subcontract work after one house.

Yet Americans are fine with someone making 1/3 that money and having to pee in a jar for the priv.

Is there anywhere it stops? No. I can answer that that. It doesn't. This is exactly why wages have gone nowhere in 40+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics