U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,395,217 times

Advertisements

Except it’s nothing like that.

You can find a worse hotel. Or one in a different area. Or not go on a vacation you can’t afford. Or not go on a weekend. Or split the cost of a hotel with another person. Or...or...

You’re not forced to do anything. Pay the spot rate. Or don’t. If they weren’t filling the correct amount of units to maximize their profits, the spot rate would change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Except itís nothing like that.

You can find a worse hotel. Or one in a different area. Or not go on a vacation you canít afford. Or not go on a weekend. Or split the cost of a hotel with another person. Or...or...

Youíre not forced to do anything. Pay the spot rate. Or donít. If they werenít filling the correct amount of units to maximize their profits, the spot rate would change.
Profit is a profit rather its 2 cents or 2k dollars, you already made a profit.

From a consumer stand point, anything over 30% after cost is pure greed. *cost of labor, transportation, salaries. ect.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post

From a consumer stand point, anything over 30% after cost is pure greed. *cost of labor, transportation, salaries. ect.
I swear this board is full of trolls.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:33 PM

1,488 posts, read 334,628 times
Quote:
Except it’s nothing like that.

You can find a worse hotel. Or one in a different area. Or not go on a vacation you can’t afford. Or not go on a weekend. Or split the cost of a hotel with another person. Or...or...

You’re not forced to do anything. Pay the spot rate. Or don’t. If they weren’t filling the correct amount of units to maximize their profits, the spot rate would change.
By your logic, one must pay SUCKER prices to enjoy a normal vacation without having to split a room or waste PAID vacation days? I shouldn't have to tiptoe around "brownout dates" of unregulated surge pricing exceeding 250% of the normal nightly rate.

There are certain products and services which, when regulated, continue to serve their intended purpose while protecting consumers from price-fixing. The free market operating without checks and balances supports exactly that - price fixing. Public statements from any business will vehemently deny this, there's no collusion, etc. but when you exhaust your search of all brands or providers within a given area, and all reflect similar increases, there is no room left to deny this is exactly what's going on.

I am very happy with auto insurance rates here in a state that tightly regulates them, as well as carrying an "at-fault" as opposed to a "no-fault" policy when assigning blame in accidents to further keep prices low.

Last edited by ddm2k; 08-13-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
By your logic, one must pay SUCKER prices to enjoy a normal vacation without having to split a room or waste PAID vacation days? I shouldn't have to tiptoe around "brownout dates" of unregulated surge pricing exceeding 250% of the normal nightly rate.

I am very happy with auto insurance rates here in a state that tightly regulates them, as well as carrying an "at-fault" as opposed to a "no-fault" policy when assigning blame in accidents to further keep prices low.
What the hell do you think a market is?

If you want to do desireable things in a desireable place, you have to pay for it at the going rate. The more people who want to do that thing at that place, the more likely the business will fill the spots at the price theyíre commanding.

If you canít afford it, you adjust to what you can afford.

I feel like Iím explaining economics to an 8 year old who has a 5 dollar bill in there hand but thinks they should be able to buy all the candy in the store because they want it.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:38 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,410,513 times
Quote:

And limiting your mindset to this will hold you back financially for the rest of your life. But while you're at it, why stop at 30%. Anything over breaking even is profit and that is greed.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:41 PM

4,636 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Don't you just hate when people keep saying this? There should be a fine assessed.
I hate when people don't say it. It's not used often enough.

It is the backbone of any functioning economy.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 PM

4,636 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I hate it when demand is high, prices increase, so I am forced to pay more. I'm sure it's pure business 101 to make the most money out of a situation, but it's freaking annoying as a consumer.
If they don't increase the price they will run out of product and risk bankruptcy.

If automobiles and houses were $10, do you think they would be able to make enough?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:

So I’m assuming if your employer came to you with a 1 cent raise for the year and said “a raise is a raise whether it’s a penny or $10,000”, you’d nod your empty head in agreement?

And why 30 percent? Your arbitrary number? Why do you think your random number is better than the margin that the market dictates that the owner can achieve? Do you alone know better than the market?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 PM

1,488 posts, read 334,628 times
Quote:
What the hell do you think a market is?

If you want to do desireable things in a desireable place, you have to pay for it at the going rate. The more people who want to do that thing at that place, the more likely the business will fill the spots at the price theyíre commanding.

If you canít afford it, you adjust to what you can afford.

I feel like Iím explaining economics to an 8 year old who has a 5 dollar bill in there hand but thinks they should be able to buy all the candy in the store because they want it.
There are many different types of markets, each with varying degrees of controls in place. The term "market" doesn't imply a free-for-all.

So you think I'm a child for speaking up when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of? Do you often see others as children when disagreeing with Wild West practices continuing in a 21st-century civilization?

The regulations come into play when the irresponsible ones - the real "children" in this equation - fail to exercise restraint in a situation in which they hold considerable influence in an industry. With great power comes great responsibility. You can see the children cry when they are scolded.

Why are you crying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics