Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post

THIS!! really pure greed more then business. consumer gets the shaft and the business gets a new boat.
Let me guess. Bernie Sanders voter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 03:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
There are some people who just cannot understand economics. I wouldn't bother.

It's smart business maximizing pricing based on demand. Hotels do this. Airlines do it. Uber and the like do it.
Its not smart business. As I said earlier, United is not adding 100 planes to meet demand. Hilton is not building rooms to meet weekend demand.

They re basically retaining their margin because of the empty weekday rooms and seats.

Are they exempt from price gauging?? Is it only for the poor gas station hafeez's and patel's??

Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 PM

10,733 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
No, because the seller wouldn't sell if for that. Home value is the price a buyer would pay and a seller would accept in an arm's length transaction under no duress of any kind.
Yeah, that’s the point I was making.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Profit is a profit rather its 2 cents or 2k dollars, you already made a profit.

From a consumer stand point, anything over 30% after cost is pure greed. *cost of labor, transportation, salaries. ect.
I think you are forgetting about occupancy rates which in 2017 were 66% in the U.S. The companies that own hotels still have fixed costs associated with these non-revenue producing vacant rooms, which is why you sometimes see steep discounts off season or slow days of the week. Better to rent for a low price than nothing at all but even then you will still have rooms that sit vacant b/c of lack of demand. Why have all these extra rooms that are not always used? For peak times where they will be and the increased rates offset the losses of the slow periods.

If hotels were an industry with high barriers to entry or a monopoly you would have a point, but in reality it is a very competitive industry with relatively low margins. In fact you might be surprised at the number of businesses, e.g. retail, where there is near zero or no profit in the actual running of the business. Rather it is done for the enjoyment of the entrepreneur (like lots of restaurants), and the only hope of a pay off is when the business is shut down and the land is sold. Happened to a friend of mine in Wichita Falls who used to own a bike shop.

Also regarding "pure greed": Should Lebron James work for $3.5M a year versus the $35M he currently makes? I mean its just a silly game and other needy people could use that excess money if it was divvied up to various charities.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think you are forgetting about occupancy rates which in 2017 were 66% in the U.S. The companies that own hotels still have fixed costs associated with these non-revenue producing vacant rooms, which is why you sometimes see steep discounts off season or slow days of the week. Better to rent for a low price than nothing at all but even then you will still have rooms that sit vacant b/c of lack of demand. Why have all these extra rooms that are not always used? For peak times where they will be and the increased rates offset the losses of the slow periods.

If hotels were an industry with high barriers to entry or a monopoly you would have a point, but in reality it is a very competitive industry with relatively low margins. In fact you might be surprised at the number of businesses, e.g. retail, where there is near zero or no profit in the actual running of the business. Rather it is done for the enjoyment of the entrepreneur (like lots of restaurants), and the only hope of a pay off is when the business is shut down and the land is sold. Happened to a friend of mine in Wichita Falls who used to own a bike shop.

Also regarding "pure greed": Should Lebron James work for $3.5M a year versus the $35M he currently makes? I mean its just a silly game and other needy people could use that excess money if it was divvied up to various charities.
All of that logic is lost on hitpause, if you review his post history.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Let me guess. Bernie Sanders voter?

Nope..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
All of that logic is lost on hitpause, if you review his post history.

Nope. I just play devils advocate from a consumer side, not a business stand point. 2 sides to everything and people who own business thinks they can control the market to meet their needs and wants. I understand your trying to make money but when your just doubling the cost of something, just (because of demand) when their is plenty of supply, then we have a problem.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Nope. I just play devils advocate from a consumer side, not a business stand point. 2 sides to everything and people who own business thinks they can control the market to meet their needs and wants. I understand your trying to make money but when your just doubling the cost of something, just (because of demand) when their is plenty of supply, then we have a problem.
You remind me of an ex-friend who used to lament that the problem wasn't Marxist economic theory, but that it was never implemented correctly. You can be a devil's advocate but I think most of us want to hinge our future prosperity on a viable economic system and not something that looks good in a textbook.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:

How many times have you turned a raise down at work?

How many times have you sold an asset, say a house, and ignored the offers being made and actively limited your profit on the sale?

Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

And of course, there’s also future costs. In other words, replacing carpets, roofs, central air, bathroom fixtures, furniture, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics