U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 3,353,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
MichiganGreg, the prices of USA assembled finished products reflect the cost of USA labor and any USA tariffs levied upon its imported components.
The prices of imported components or finished goods reflect the costs of cheaper foreign labor and any USA tariffs levied upon imported components. or entire finished products.

Thus due to the tariffs, Element Electronics USA produced products' price comparisons to imported finished products within USA marketplaces has been improved.
If any USA enterprise competes with imported components in USA marketplaces, their price comparisons to imported components will be similarly improved.
Those are the reasons for tariffs.

If currently some components are not being produced in the USA, due to the tariffs some USA enterprise may now be able to become a USA producer of such components. That's another reason for tariffs.

For these reasons, I'm opposed to granting Element Electronics waivers' of tariffs upon their imported components.

I'm among the proponents of the improved unilateral trade policy concept as described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other trade policy we're aware of. The policy would significantly reduce (if not entirely eliminate) USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods while increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

Google Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.
When you add a 25% tariff to something, that doesn't mean they automatically get to jack the price up 25%. You increase the price of electronics by 25%, people will just put off buying them. No, prices don't reflect costs. They reflect what people are willing to pay for them. In the case of a TV, most people aren't going to pay 25% more just cause.

The Japanese and South Koreans importing electronics to the US now have an even bigger cost advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:44 PM

5,099 posts, read 1,479,588 times
cheap, crappy TV's made by a company with a reputation for not honoring their warranties.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM

1,048 posts, read 568,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
When you add a 25% tariff to something, that doesn't mean they automatically get to jack the price up 25%. You increase the price of electronics by 25%, people will just put off buying them. No, prices don't reflect costs. They reflect what people are willing to pay for them. In the case of a TV, most people aren't going to pay 25% more just cause.

The Japanese and South Koreans importing electronics to the US now have an even bigger cost advantage.
LordSquidworth, but you're unable to explain what is it that I don't understand?

I made my case in post #1. In post #10, responding to MichiganGreg and further expanded upon those arguments.
In my opinion, your post #2 is not a sufficient response to my arguments. Most enterprises, (in their opinions), are driven to operate on thin margins of profit. It's described as free competitive enterprise which I'm in favor of. I'm opposed to USA products price disadvantages to imports from lower labor cost nations.

If you could more explicitly express your contentions, and why they're superior to mine, I, (and I suppose all other readers) will more fully consider and appreciate your arguments.

How did you conclude there's no relationship between products costs and the prices? My children would like to explain that to their suppliers who always contend they must pass on their increased costs.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:59 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,783,229 times
It's a SUPPLY CHAIN issue, not really a Tariff issue per se.

Which is what more calm and reasonable heads have been saying from the start.
Republicans since WW2 have LOVED TRADE. Now they have a guy in their own crowd
that says it's wrong, and tweeting and twittering (of course) makes it so.

Duh.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM

1,164 posts, read 530,600 times
Quote:
Blaming this USA plant's closing on Trump's tariffs is a lie.
Element Electronics company is obviously lying.

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations. USA producers are at disadvantages to cheaper foreign labor, but they're at lesser rather than greater disadvantages due to such USA levied tariffs.

I don't doubt that the tariffs will to some extent reduce USA sales of the finished products. We all benefit from cheaper imports, but they don't fully compensate for USA's chronic annual trade deficits consequential reduction of our GDP and net numbers of jobs.

I'm among the proponents of the improved unilateral trade policy concept as described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other trade policy we're aware of.

Google Wikipedia, Import Certificates .
Refer to, https://www.newsday.com/business/ele...ffs-1.20345862
Warren Buffet, et al who proposed the stupidity that is import certificates are morons, and know little to nothing about trade and economics. Your entire screed is based on a lack of understanding of world trade, and the time it takes to move production of many goods to the US. You are also ignoring the integrated cross border nature of many supply chains. Trump is so stupid it's a wonder he can actually live. He's a self promoting hack who convinced a bunch of people with no education that he is the pied piper of economic growth. Quite the contrary, everything he does is to further his own interests, he couldn't care less about the average American. Not that Hilary Clinton would have been any better, since she's a self promoting hack as well.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 3,353,582 times
Quote:
LordSquidworth, but you're unable to explain what is it that I don't understand?

I made my case in post #1. In post #10, responding to MichiganGreg and further expanded upon those arguments.
In my opinion, your post #2 is not a sufficient response to my arguments. Most enterprises, (in their opinions), are driven to operate on thin margins of profit. It's described as free competitive enterprise which I'm in favor of. I'm opposed to USA products price disadvantages to imports from lower labor cost nations.

If you could more explicitly express your contentions, and why they're superior to mine, I, (and I suppose all other readers) will more fully consider and appreciate your arguments.

How did you conclude there's no relationship between products costs and the prices? My children would like to explain that to their suppliers who always contend they must pass on their increased costs.
See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
It's a SUPPLY CHAIN issue, not really a Tariff issue per se.

Which is what more calm and reasonable heads have been saying from the start.
Republicans since WW2 have LOVED TRADE. Now they have a guy in their own crowd
that says it's wrong, and tweeting and twittering (of course) makes it so.

Duh.
And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Warren Buffet, et al who proposed the stupidity that is import certificates are morons, and know little to nothing about trade and economics. Your entire screed is based on a lack of understanding of world trade, and the time it takes to move production of many goods to the US. You are also ignoring the integrated cross border nature of many supply chains. Trump is so stupid it's a wonder he can actually live. He's a self promoting hack who convinced a bunch of people with no education that he is the pied piper of economic growth. Quite the contrary, everything he does is to further his own interests, he couldn't care less about the average American. Not that Hilary Clinton would have been any better, since she's a self promoting hack as well.

The whole basis of your argument is faulty, like usual.

This trade deficit nonesense is being pushed by Neanderthals. You don't want a deficit you have two choices:

1) buy less stuff (not going to happen obviously, we're American, we consume)
2) make more stuff foreigners are interested in buying (stop being lazy entitled Americans, get out there and start something instead of demanding others give you jobs)

It's not the duty of any government to balance trade.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 08-08-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
...The whole basis of your argument is faulty, like usual.

This trade deficit nonesense is being pushed by Neanderthals. You don't want a deficit you have two choices:

2) make more stuff foreigners are interested in buying (stop being lazy entitled Americans, get out there and start something instead of demanding others give you jobs)

LordSquidworth, despite what I consider an unfortunate name choice, the purpose of the Balanced Trade Restoration Act of 2006 introduced to the U.S. Senate, was not balancing of trade.
USA's adoption of the improved Import Certificate proposal would significantly reduce, (if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods while increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.

Enacting laws and regulations that induce entrepreneurs and their enterprises choosing what they consider to be to their best advantage, to also be to our nation's best economic advantage, is the duty of our federal government.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:55 AM

102 posts, read 33,375 times
Quote:

Agree. I seriously doubt American deficit would reduce even with other countries giving in to Trump's demands when Americans keep taking on debt to satisfy consumerism.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Agree. I seriously doubt American deficit would reduce even with other countries giving in to Trump's demands when Americans keep taking on debt to satisfy consumerism.
ObserverJC, what “deficit” are you referring to? USA's annual trade deficits, and federal budget deficits, and aggregate individuals' net personal debts are all mutually exclusive of each other.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:09 AM

27,610 posts, read 45,130,039 times
Quote:
Blaming this USA plant's closing on Trump's tariffs is a lie.
Element Electronics company is obviously lying.

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations. USA producers are at disadvantages to cheaper foreign labor, but they're at lesser rather than greater disadvantages due to such USA levied tariffs.

I don't doubt that the tariffs will to some extent reduce USA sales of the finished products. We all benefit from cheaper imports, but they don't fully compensate for USA's chronic annual trade deficits consequential reduction of our GDP and net numbers of jobs.

I'm among the proponents of the improved unilateral trade policy concept as described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other trade policy we're aware of.

Google Wikipedia, Import Certificates .
Refer to, https://www.newsday.com/business/ele...ffs-1.20345862
And of course someone who doesn't work for the company knows more than the people who do--

Bots alive and well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or