U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 3,333,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Developing countries are evolving into consumerist nations, the way we did. I think the US's value to China as a dumping ground of unlimited cheap goods will come to an end sooner or later. They will be making and selling to their own people and India more than to the EU or US. Perhaps that was their long range plan all along - to collapse our industry (as they did with steel) and leave us incapable of resurrecting our self sustaining economy.

Sourcing those cheap goods started a few years ago shifting to other Asian countries. China is no longer the "cheapest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 AM

17,264 posts, read 14,829,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Sourcing those cheap goods started a few years ago shifting to other Asian countries. China is no longer the "cheapest".
Africa is the new up and comer. Ivanka already moved her shoe factory from China to Africa, although I can't remember what country.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM

101 posts, read 32,492 times
Quote:
Agreed. Many Taiwan factories that used to locate in China have started moving to countries like Vietnam years ago due their sensitivity to labor cost.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Africa is the new up and comer. Ivanka already moved her shoe factory from China to Africa, although I can't remember what country.
Speaking of Africa, I remembered years ago (2008?) there was a sudden concern about growing Chinese influence in Africa, and I actually did a report on it for an African history class.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Speaking of Africa, I remembered years ago (2008?) there was a sudden concern about growing Chinese influence in Africa, and I actually did a report on it for an African history class.
Yes, I read something about that as well although I can't remember much about it. We're shrinking in world influence and they are rapidly expanding.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:57 PM

5,066 posts, read 3,333,262 times
Quote:
Yeah. Chinese are very aggressively going after influence in Africa. That's the last frontier to develop (middle east will always be a wasteland outside oil).

Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 3,690,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
lchoro, MichiganGreg, LordSquidworth, due to the facts:

USA tariffs upon both the components and the finished products reduce USA producers of components and/or finished products price disadvantages in comparison to imports, and they consequentially do not reduce or increase comparative advantages among USA producers, the tariffs decrease USA producers comparative disadvantages to imported products;
(i.e. they are of net benefit to USA producers of both the components and/or the finished products).

lchoro, if your statement's correct,Element Electronics is trying to extort profits additional to their products consequentially improved price comparison to imports due to the USA tariffs. I would hope that the Trump administration and the U.S. Congress do not submit to Element Electronic's blatant extortion attempt.
Tariffs upon components increase the cost of those components and this cost must either be passed to the consumer(most likely) or reduce profits(which is bad for business). Basically if the cost of flour goes up for any reason the cost of cakes and cookies and everything that uses it will almost certainly rise. This is why tariffs on components are so bad. It affects everyone downstream. And not all things are available or make sense to make in the USA. Asia(more than just China) has been dominate in this area since the 80ies.

All companies try to increase profits and their price comparison might not have improved. One of the dangers of increasing tariffs is that the local companies would simply increase prices to increase profits(take advantage of it). Another danger is that the Tariff does not increase the price of the competing product enough to motivate the consumer to choose the cheaper product(if the cheaper product always won, Apple and Toyota would have be out of business a long time ago). Or that the Tariff did not make the imported product more expensive because it was too small.

Anyway the problem with Tariffs is that you can in the end loose more jobs than you were trying to create.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I read something about that as well although I can't remember much about it. We're shrinking in world influence and they are rapidly expanding.
Quote:
Yeah. Chinese are very aggressively going after influence in Africa. That's the last frontier to develop (middle east will always be a wasteland outside oil).
Although Chinese influence in Africa has grown, it is still too early to call waning American influence since many African nations are now aware of Chinese malpractices. The most common complaints I found are abusing African workers, using Africa as a dumping ground for Chinese good and destroying African industries in the process, or using Chinese crew in African construction projects.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Although Chinese influence in Africa has grown, it is still too early to call waning American influence since many African nations are now aware of Chinese malpractices. The most common complaints I found are abusing African workers, using Africa as a dumping ground for Chinese good and destroying African industries in the process, or using Chinese crew in African construction projects.
Well we will see. But not being in the trans pacific trade agreement poised China to take control of this area. I do t know if we can just jump in without being part of it?

Old 08-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Well we will see. But not being in the trans pacific trade agreement poised China to take control of this area. I do t know if we can just jump in without being part of it?
Given America's current economic and military power it is very possible. Since China has its own disputes with other countries, America still can insert itself by adopting a softer stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or