U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Wow, you say you don't really follow tabloids or conspiracy peddlers, but yet you represent knowing enough about Alex Jones/Infowars/Prison Planet to compare it with ZH on the conspiracy scale. And you opine that ZH is heavy on the conspiracies, too. (like how would you know if you didn't follow it?) And then something about some guy who has a moon landing conspiracy. Plus the earlier poster implied I was getting stuff off Info Wars/Prison Planet. I didn't get that from his post at all. Where did that come from? Some mind-reading conspiracy theory? I dunno, sounds to me like you have a fascination with conspiracies. Just sayin'.
Repetition. The usual MSM Trumpettes do blindly accept everything from InfoWars, Zero Hedge, and other alt-right "news" sources. Whether right or wrong, that was what he was getting at. Not that you do necessarily but others have.

Correct, I don't follow it. This is all circa OWS stuff. Whatever people have allegedly dug up since then I have no idea. It could have been sold from the insider trader guy's father to some media group in the last five or six years for all I know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,360,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Repetition. The usual MSM Trumpettes do blindly accept everything from InfoWars, Zero Hedge, and other alt-right "news" sources. Whether right or wrong, that was what he was getting at. Not that you do necessarily but others have.

Correct, I don't follow it. This is all circa OWS stuff. Whatever people have allegedly dug up since then I have no idea. It could have been sold from the insider trader guy's father to some media group in the last five or six years for all I know.
I watched Jones for a while during a 2-3 year period. Love him or hate him, his is an interesting and inspirational story for many. A guy who tried to make it as a journalist and was far too troublesome for the mainstream. So he made his own channels, and in his own right, peddling supplements and health aids and such to support his own efforts. And he grew, and grew and grew and even the collusive de-platforming can't stop him, his popularity has exploded higher. He gave people a voice and guests a platform they couldn't get anywhere else.

The problem is, I just couldn't take all the ranting and interruptions anymore. His guests know what to expect, so they take it in stride. If it was me, I'd probably walk off the set. And I am no fan of Dr. Steve, so there's that. Not to mention Jones himself is a provocateur and a character and thrives on controversy. He does beat the heck out of the sniveling wet noodles on ABCNBCCBSCNNMSN. His dust up with Cenk during the Republican convention was priceless.

No doubt about it, without Alex Jones and Roger Stone, Trump would not have been elected. Let that sink in. They stood up against everything the MSM could throw at them and beat the tar out of them all. Jones is one of those people who is at his best when things are at their worst.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:04 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I guess this just goes to shows that not everything is as simple as it seems. Words can be hollow, different people in different positions within in corporation have different goals and motivations, and the human spirit is something socio-psychologists could better explain. My family had a discussion about this over lobster this last weekend. The prices were relatively low and my mother-in-law was wondering why. I told her it might be due to the trade war where other countries are not buying our tariffed lobster exports. This increases our domestic supply and drives the price down. The lobstermen would rather make less money per lobster than less lobster sold, so they chase the market down to a price that matches the quantity demanded. She smiled and we ate more lobster.

Until the workers are interviewed and get their motives out there, we can only make assumptions about what is going on and why. My assumption is that the steel and aluminum tariffs are not helping the manufactured exports from the US and that might have a crappy trickle-down effect.

If you are referring to Carrier workers for linked OP story, many were interviewed.

Their responses were varied and numerous.

Some feel "long as Mr. Trump is president I'll have a job".

Others said they just don't trust Carrier regardless of what DT or the company says. Yes, the plant is remaining open for "now", and has received investments and so forth; but what about in future? Things like that are a common consensus.

More still commented on fact they know that particular Carrier plant is *NOT* making its numbers. The high rates of absenteeism and whatever isn't helping. Meanwhile plant in Mexico has no problem meeting their production targets *and* is cheaper for Carrier.

"People still don’t trust Carrier,” added Paul Roell, a 19-year veteran of the plant. “They still have the warehouses and the factory in Mexico, and they can move down whenever. We all know that Carrier has the money to do whatever they want.”

People aren’t coming to work, which is sad because we really need these jobs,” Nicole Hargrove, a worker at the plant, told the Times. “They had a chance to prove that staying was good, but this is ruining it for everybody. It’s killing us. It’s pushing us out the door that much sooner.”

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/40...y-trump-report

Who knows what is going on; maybe it is a type of shell shock. Manufacturing sector and employees have been beat down for so long, perhaps few just don't nor never will believe things are "coming back".

Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,299,896 times
Where have you been?

The Plant is closing after transfer of jobs to Mexico. The whole "I saved this factory" story has revealed itself to be a total bust!

Some jobs will remain but only a small fraction of the numbers claimed in the initial stories.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,033,859 times
And this is on the economics board why???

Old 08-17-2018, 07:31 AM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
And this is on the economics board why???

Well there is fact current occupant of WH got there largely by making all sorts of promises to Rust Belt and other manufacturing areas, and blue collar workers. Last time one checked they are a legitimate part of the US economy.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,547,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you are referring to Carrier workers for linked OP story, many were interviewed.

Their responses were varied and numerous.

Some feel "long as Mr. Trump is president I'll have a job".

People aren’t coming to work, which is sad because we really need these jobs,” Nicole Hargrove, a worker at the plant, told the Times. “They had a chance to prove that staying was good, but this is ruining it for everybody. It’s killing us. It’s pushing us out the door that much sooner.”

Some workers say Carrier faces low morale, absenteeism at factory kept open by Trump: report | TheHill

Who knows what is going on; maybe it is a type of shell shock. Manufacturing sector and employees have been beat down for so long, perhaps few just don't nor never will believe things are "coming back".

I am reminded of two things with these quotes.

1) You can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make it drink.
2) As long as Obama is President, I'll have a cell phone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics