U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:31 AM

18,304 posts, read 11,693,181 times

Advertisements

If any of this is true, talk about wicked ingratitude.

Carrier has said it intends to keep the Indiana plant open, but apparently that isn't good enough for some. The fret, worry, call out sick and so forth.

If this keeps up Carrier may just well close that plant. They've already pointed out to employees that their counterparts in Mexico have lower absenteeism rates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/b...sm-morale.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,370,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If any of this is true, talk about wicked ingratitude.

Carrier has said it intends to keep the Indiana plant open, but apparently that isn't good enough for some. The fret, worry, call out sick and so forth.

If this keeps up Carrier may just well close that plant. They've already pointed out to employees that their counterparts in Mexico have lower absenteeism rates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/b...sm-morale.html
It's published by the nyt. Do you think it's true if 70 plus other media outlets just openly declared war on POTUS?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-against-trump

That's not to say the nyt has never written anything true. I'm sure they have. I just don't listen much to the MSM anymore. It's like everything we think we know is a lie.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,393,549 times
But you listen to zerohedge.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM

16,703 posts, read 18,930,553 times
Ironic that anti-Trumpers spread their hate outside the political forums...

Old 08-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
But you listen to zerohedge.
What's your beef with zerohedge? First of all, it's not MSM. It's mainly just an aggegator with a bit of
editorial/original content mixed in. And it publishes pieces and opinions across a wide spectrum of viewpoints. Works for me. Comments section used to be much better, though.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM

13,443 posts, read 15,059,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What's your beef with zerohedge? First of all, it's not MSM. It's mainly just an aggegator with a bit of
editorial/original content mixed in. And it publishes pieces and opinions across a wide spectrum of viewpoints. Works for me. Comments section used to be much better, though.
It's one of the better alt-right conspiracy agitators. It mixes in enough credible, if biased, non-original content along with it's anonymous conspiracy pieces written by "Tyler Durden." No one really knows how many anonymous contributors they have. The only, as far as I know, confirmed one is Daniel Ivandjiiski, a former hedge fund manager banned for insider trading. It's registered in Bulgaria to a business associate of his father, who runs a tabloid in Bulgaria and has written a series of conspiracy articles on how America faked the Apollo missions and we never actually went to the moon. The actual wide spectrum of viewpoints isn't so wide. Corruption in western banking, Putin is outfoxing Obama, pro Bashar al-Assad.

Thus you have all the speculation that it's just a propaganda front for Russia. That's intensified over the last few years under Trump but is hardly new speculation. I don't know that I buy into that. It's interesting but too conspiracy/counter-conspiracy conspiracy for me. I got lost myself on the corruption in western banking when one of their supposed main contributors is actually someone who corrupt enough to get himself banned from the corrupt western banking complaining about corrupt western banking while writing under a pseudonym. But that's just me. Similarly I don't take things like The Root seriously when it cries racism. They see racism in everything. E.g., Nia Wilson stabbing on BART by a deranged homeless guy is racism and part of larger white separatist movement to start a new wave of lynchings.

https://www.theroot.com/man-arrested...son-1827826599

Maybe. I just don't think so. And it's a bit unfair to compare The Root to Zero Hedge. While I might see their bias, their conspiracies are less wild than the ones Zero Hedge propagates. Plus, you know, they actually don't lurk in the shadows writing under a Malcolm X pseudonym.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM

964 posts, read 924,122 times
I guess this just goes to shows that not everything is as simple as it seems. Words can be hollow, different people in different positions within in corporation have different goals and motivations, and the human spirit is something socio-psychologists could better explain. My family had a discussion about this over lobster this last weekend. The prices were relatively low and my mother-in-law was wondering why. I told her it might be due to the trade war where other countries are not buying our tariffed lobster exports. This increases our domestic supply and drives the price down. The lobstermen would rather make less money per lobster than less lobster sold, so they chase the market down to a price that matches the quantity demanded. She smiled and we ate more lobster.

Until the workers are interviewed and get their motives out there, we can only make assumptions about what is going on and why. My assumption is that the steel and aluminum tariffs are not helping the manufactured exports from the US and that might have a crappy trickle-down effect.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's one of the better alt-right conspiracy agitators. It mixes in enough credible, if biased, non-original content along with it's anonymous conspiracy pieces written by "Tyler Durden." No one really knows how many anonymous contributors they have. The only, as far as I know, confirmed one is Daniel Ivandjiiski, a former hedge fund manager banned for insider trading. It's registered in Bulgaria to a business associate of his father, who runs a tabloid in Bulgaria and has written a series of conspiracy articles on how America faked the Apollo missions and we never actually went to the moon. The actual wide spectrum of viewpoints isn't so wide. Corruption in western banking, Putin is outfoxing Obama, pro Bashar al-Assad.

Thus you have all the speculation that it's just a propaganda front for Russia. That's intensified over the last few years under Trump but is hardly new speculation. I don't know that I buy into that. It's interesting but too conspiracy/counter-conspiracy conspiracy for me. I got lost myself on the corruption in western banking when one of their supposed main contributors is actually someone who corrupt enough to get himself banned from the corrupt western banking complaining about corrupt western banking while writing under a pseudonym. But that's just me. Similarly I don't take things like The Root seriously when it cries racism. They see racism in everything. E.g., Nia Wilson stabbing on BART by a deranged homeless guy is racism and part of larger white separatist movement to start a new wave of lynchings.

https://www.theroot.com/man-arrested...son-1827826599

Maybe. I just don't think so.
Like I said, it's not MSM. The poster I was answering implied that by reading ZH, I was reading MSM.

I heard that ZeroHedge was recently sold to something called ABC Media, not to be confused with the American Broadcasting Corp. Is that the business associate of the father?

Ha-ha, just about every member of Congress does insider trading. Except it's actually legal for them to do.

Never saw any stories on ZH about faked Apollo missions. I did see the movie Capricorn One with OJ Simpson and Sam Waterston.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM

13,443 posts, read 15,059,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Like I said, it's not MSM. The poster I was answering implied that by reading ZH, I was reading MSM.

I heard that ZeroHedge was recently sold to something called ABC Media, not to be confused with the American Broadcasting Corp. Is that the business associate of the father?

Ha-ha, just about every member of Congress does insider trading. Except it's actually legal for them to do.

Never saw any stories on ZH about faked Apollo missions. I did see the movie Capricorn One with OJ Simpson and Sam Waterston.
Possibly, don't really follow tabloids or conspiracy peddlers. It's their one confirmed Tyler Durden's father who owns another tabloid who is the moonlanding conspiracy guy. Plus it's in Bulgarian.

And no, he implied you were getting stuff off Info Wars/Prison Planet, which also isn't MSM. ZH isn't that far in the loonie bin. It does aggregate information from credible, if biased, think tanks like CATO and whatnot. It's also heavy on the conspiracies. Not as much as Alex Jones but definitely heavy on it.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Possibly, don't really follow tabloids or conspiracy peddlers. It's their one confirmed Tyler Durden's father who owns another tabloid who is the moonlanding conspiracy guy. Plus it's in Bulgarian.

And no, he implied you were getting stuff off Info Wars/Prison Planet, which also isn't MSM. ZH isn't that far in the loonie bin. It does aggregate information from credible, if biased, think tanks like CATO and whatnot. It's also heavy on the conspiracies. Not as much as Alex Jones but definitely heavy on it.
Wow, you say you don't really follow tabloids or conspiracy peddlers, but yet you represent knowing enough about Alex Jones/Infowars/Prison Planet to compare it with ZH on the conspiracy scale. And you opine that ZH is heavy on the conspiracies, too. (like how would you know if you didn't follow it?) And then something about some guy who has a moon landing conspiracy. Plus the earlier poster implied I was getting stuff off Info Wars/Prison Planet. I didn't get that from his post at all. Where did that come from? Some mind-reading conspiracy theory? I dunno, sounds to me like you have a fascination with conspiracies. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics