Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM

14,985 posts, read 23,761,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
how can anyone with a sound mind think the US economy is doing "great"? I have never seen so many crummy jobs paying $10 or $12 an hour. many don't even pay $9/hourly. the wages adjusted for inflation are probably slightly less than they were 20 years ago. america is a declining economy and it's getting worse. we're not going to believe this propaganda coming from Mr. Trump and the US media. i've never believed it. nothing but lies! people are defaulting on student loans and living in cars and i'm sure it hasn't slowed down lately. does that sound like a "boom" to you?
The economy is doing great for me and others, statistics back this up. These are the same measured statistics used by previous administrations and the US media, on the contrary, is more concerned about talking about Trumps latest tweet then reporting real news about the economy.

I had a crummy job making $3.50 an hour when I started. That's how it works, you don't get the best jobs. You pay your dues then advance.

Hey if you want to rant about your personal situation, plenty of these type posts in the employment forum.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 AM

77,713 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Since the OP isn't supporting their claims and making a bizarrely wild statement that the US is in an economic crisis I asked the mod to move this to the politics\controversies forum as this forum is for actual adult discussions of economics.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,732,273 times
I think the economy is doing well for skilled jobs and/or degrees. If you are making $ 10.00 an hour long term, you probably do not have valuable job skills.

Wages for unskilled jobs have not increased, nor has the demand. For example, a receptionist is probably making the same as a few years ago and there are not more receptionist jobs.

Like most of life, it is supply and demand.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,107,704 times
LOL This is a hilarious thread. The OP's propaganda just isn't reality. You want the economy to be bad so badly it hurts you.
Looking so very hard to find thorns amongst a lot of roses.

Dude, identity politics will take the joy from your life.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,586,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Nobody is forced to work a those rates. Its all about negotiation. Convince an employer you are worth what you want and your problem is solved.
But... but I shouldn’t have to convince anyone! The government should force these businesses to pay me more money because I want to live the good life! That’s what I was promised by being born in America, right? Where are my handouts? Rich people don’t need their money, I need a bigger TV and a nicer car. I just don’t want to work for those things because working is boring and not fun.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,732,273 times
There are millions of working poor, so the argument about poor people "not willing to work" isn't going to fly. BUT, no one can expect an employer to pay a good wage if 1,000 people can fill your job.

No one can expect a data entry clerk to be on a par with a nurse or engineer. Nor should they.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,586,420 times
Yes, but nobody cares how hard you work. Work smart, not just hard. You generally have to do both at least for a while. But if you have no skills, hard work alone won’t get you very far.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:25 AM

5,897 posts, read 4,384,815 times
Quote:
how can anyone with a sound mind think the US economy is doing "great"? I have never seen so many crummy jobs paying $10 or $12 an hour. many don't even pay $9/hourly. the wages adjusted for inflation are probably slightly less than they were 20 years ago. america is a declining economy and it's getting worse. we're not going to believe this propaganda coming from Mr. Trump and the US media. i've never believed it. nothing but lies! people are defaulting on student loans and living in cars and i'm sure it hasn't slowed down lately. does that sound like a "boom" to you?
Welcome, Comrade. In Soviet Russia, economy crashes you. Here in Amerika, economy boom like atom bomb.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:33 AM

27,241 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Quote:
$9 to $12 an hour?

Are you talking about McDonalds?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,784,134 times
Quote:
how can anyone with a sound mind think the US economy is doing "great"?
Perhaps because we pay attention to actual economic data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics