U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 06:33 PM

30,514 posts, read 9,123,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Walmart will suffer some and end up closing stores in some markets, but they will always have a huge customer base of people in some areas that either don't have the technology to order from Amazon, or don't have a checking or credit card account to charge things to.

Seriously?

Newsflash: Not all shoppers are airheads who get in the Pay More Here line. Some of us have heard of something called Walmart dot com, comparison shop, and utilize both sites, as well as others.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:38 PM

30,514 posts, read 9,123,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.

Raises the question : what comes next?

The Amazonian iceberg sinks Wally Martski

If that were even true, tsk-tsk to your Schadenfreude.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:08 PM

13,129 posts, read 9,217,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The Amazonian iceberg sinks Wally Martski

If that were even true, tsk-tsk to your Schadenfreude.
What pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others was stated in the OP?
Or are you merely posting inflammatory material?

Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 AM

1,953 posts, read 758,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
K-Mart went out of business because the stores were poorly managed and many times their prices weren't competitive.

I had a K-Mart very close to me vs Walmart 9 miles further away.

I quit bothering to stop at my local K-Mart because 9 times out of ten, they would be out of a common item I specifically stopped in for, so I would have to drive all the way to Walmart anyway, so why waste my time?

For instance, one time I needed an extension cord, stopped at K-Mart and they didn't have any, the shelf was empty.

Another example, a bag of bird seed would be priced 4 or 5 dollars more than I would pay for the same size bag at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

So far, I don't see Walmart going down that path.
You just described my experience at Valdemart. Whenever I go into a Valdemart, which is down to about 3 or 4 times a year now, the parking lots are empty, the stores are empty, and the shelves are empty. There are only one or two things I ever buy there any more. Last time, to save myself a trip if they were out, I called to check on the stock of one of those items, which they OUGHT to be able to look up in the database, but apparently can't. The employee insisted the stuff was there. I went clear across town to get it and when I got there, not only was the item NOT on the shelves, there wasn't even an empty spot for it.

And whenever I have asked why they have stopped carrying a certain item, I have been referred to their website and told to order it. However if they don't sell it in the store there are very few items *I* want to buy that you can even order online, unless you go to one of their "associate" sellers. I'm not shopping Valdemart to buy from their brothers in evil. If the main evil doesn't have it, and I have to order it, I'll be most likely getting that from Amazon or some other online source.

Valdemart and many other brick 'n mortar places just have no clue. So many of them (including Valdemart) have gone to this "just in time" stocking scheme where they ALLEGEDLY order to restock shelves "just in time" - except it NEVER works out that way. Instead you get a lot of empty shelves because in the real world, "just in time" is TOO LATE. You take the one strong point you have, which is having the stuff actually ON the shelves so you can get it today, and you just throw that advantage out the window. You are training your customers to expect you to NOT have what they are looking for. Guess what. I'm thoroughly trained. I don't expect Valdemart to have what I'm looking for so I don't bother to look.

Quality at Valdemart is in the toilet. I've bought flour sack cloth towels there for at least 30 years, but never again. The last batch were lint manufactories. A couple of years ago I bought a package of wash cloths to use while cleaning the tar off the walls here. The very first time I washed them, half of them actually ripped apart in the washing machine. WASH CLOTHES.

Whereas the local Kmart had better quality clothes and furniture, more clothes I would actually want to wear, and the prices were suited to the quality. There were no groceries but you know what, that's what I go to the grocery store for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
What pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others was stated in the OP?
Or are you merely posting inflammatory material?
Get serious. The whole tone of the OP was clearly exactly that - a celebratory attitude towards the alleged sinking of the Valdemart ship. The problem is that Valdemart has a whole FLEET. They are sinking, but they're not sunk. And they've negatively impacted so many other businesses that there isn't a good replacement for them any more. Sam Walton built his business on the idea that an American store should sell American made goods and as long as he was alive, if it was made in the USA, that's what he sold.

The current batch are just squeezing his legacy for every whimpering terrified penny. Good luck finding ANYTHING made in the USA in a Valdemart these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The core problem with Walmart are the people that shop there not their products or prices.

At amazon I never have to interact with those people.
Good. Because now they are protected from having to interact with snobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Walmart doesn't always win on pricing.

From what I hear they don't treat their employees that much better either.
Yeah both Amazon and Valdemart treat their employees like dirt.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 08-24-2018 at 06:33 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 AM

16,704 posts, read 18,933,830 times
I think Walmart could offer a real challenge to Amazon but the greedy owners are too stupid to try... They take the five cents now rather than the twenty cents later... Its not that hard to compete with Amazon when you already have the vendors, infrastructure and money like Walmart but the owners are just too greedy and stupid... They are surrounded by Yes Men....

Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM

3,292 posts, read 2,347,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I truly prefer the Walmart which is a bit farther but worth it in my estimation. One stop shopping for me for everything I need, other than a library book.

ETA: Our produce department is top notch, always fresh produce, well stocked as well. The other departments are properly stocked and maintained also.
I agree with you, fresher everything and much better selection and pricing at our Walmarts.

A few months ago I almost bought a vacuum on Amazon and at the last minute checked Walmart.com. Same model was $80 less on Walmart, came in the next day. I'm a Prime member too but that doesn't mean I'm a zombie buyer who won't check around.

Also, I didn't see any zombie employees when I was there last night. Everyone was very friendly and helpful as usual. Obviously some people have poorly run stores in their neighborhood, but we've had great Walmarts everywhere we've lived.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 AM

4,546 posts, read 11,557,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandBaron85 View Post
Like K-mart in the 90's ?

Either re-invent yourself or go out like K-mart. ..

They won't ALWAYS have a huge customer base ...
Kmart has always sucked imo. I am 50 and have been in a Kmart 2 or 3 times in my life. I would never step foot in one again. I have been in Wal-Marts 100's of times.

The Wal Mart customer base is pro-creating much faster than the non-Wal Mart customers.

You should put ALL YOUR $$$ shorting Wal Mart stock. #goodluck

Old 08-24-2018, 10:00 AM

48,971 posts, read 39,438,561 times
There are some things that you want to check out before you buy it.

Also, some items are prohibitively expensive to ship individually (size\weight) vs. picking up yourself from a central facility.

With that said, I use Amazon a fair bit for known items like some shoes I like, vitamins, printer cartridges, music etc.

But for some items you'll want to feel or hold it....also as some have noted you can get it immediately.

On-line is going to hurt Walmart some, but it's not taking it down.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 AM

17,636 posts, read 12,239,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think Walmart could offer a real challenge to Amazon but the greedy owners are too stupid to try... They take the five cents now rather than the twenty cents later... Its not that hard to compete with Amazon when you already have the vendors, infrastructure and money like Walmart but the owners are just too greedy and stupid... They are surrounded by Yes Men....
Iím not sure how much connectivity you have to Walmart but you comments about greedy owner and stupidity preventing them from competing are offbase. They are spending a ton of effort to compete online and are doing well in that space. In their most recent earnings release they had e-commerce revenue growth was up 40%

Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 PM

10,102 posts, read 9,333,194 times
Walmart in our area provides jobs to many seniors and students. When brick and mortars close, they take away these jobs. Amazon warehouses and driver jobs aren't substitutes. It may not be the best place to work, but as a kid growing up wanting to make my own money, I'd readily work for Walmart. I like the stores because they are huge, have everything I could possibly need, and immediately. I don't have to buy $X worth of stuff in order to get my goods delivered pronto like PrimeNow. I'm not that lazy where I can't drive three minutes to my local store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics