U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:57 PM

1,501 posts, read 2,577,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.

Raises the question : what comes next?
Hah. Good.

While I buy things at Amazon virtually every week with my prime membership (need a pack of handkerchiefs for $3? Click) I only recently went into a WalMart after probably a two-year absence to find some food that I had coupons for that no one else sold. So I walk around for 20 minutes to ask where to find it and I finally find a WalMart employee on the floor. Her answer "I'm sorry, I don't know where anything is."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM

1,501 posts, read 2,577,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
:
...that either don't have the technology to order from Amazon,
or don't have a checking or credit card account to charge things to.
Meh. Wifi and Visa cards aren't a big issue.
I think by "technology" em meant "technology skills."

Old 08-24-2018, 02:38 PM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
I think by "technology" em meant "technology skills."
Maybe he did but that would be wrong as well.
Any 8yo kid can master the "technology" involved.

As regards online buying though I suspect the real difference in user type
are the blue pill sort who go all in with them ...vs the others.
I'm rooting for the others.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:00 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,748,094 times
Amazon will eventually run into more "frictions" in their business model. Here are some examples that will increase in time:

1. Thieves stealing packages from door steps.
2. States implementing sales taxes to online sales. Amazon already has to collect sales tax for several states now.
3. Package delivery companies getting overloaded to the point they have to increase their prices to tamper demand down a bit. The president has called upon the US Postal Service to increase the prices they charge Amazon.
4. Increased prices for cardboard and other packaging material.

The number 1 grocery store in my home town already does delivery so Amazon isn't going to capture that market.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,300,856 times
The only thing I ever buy at WalMart is motor oil. I feel that WalMart and the Oil Companies deserve each other.

The changing rooms at our WalMart are used as public toilets. No, that is not Mountain Dew spilled on the changing room floor or a Little Debbie Swiss Roll hiding under the bench.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 9,097,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Walmart doesn't always win on pricing.

From what I hear they don't treat their employees that much better either.

I just quit Walmart in July after 8 years. Up until the beginning of this year I was pretty happy there but it has been disappointing this year. We used to get $1 hour more for working on Sundays, could use our sick hours AND PTO, they quit giving merit raises and it's now 2% across the board...basically cut in half. They have eliminated positions, combined others making a heavier workload for them, even out sourced some of their positions.

They started a new scheduling policy that EVERYONE hates because it leaves them understaffed and puts a lot more pressure on the ones trying to do the job of three people. It sounds like they have introduced yet another scheduling procedure where they can work the exact same schedule every week for a few months BUT they don't pay attention to employee's available days/hours. There are quite a few people going to college and some have a 2nd part time job so request days that allow them to do that. Corporate does the scheduling and just ignores all that. It would have been my luck to be scheduled a noon to 9 PM shift when days have always been my schedule. I'm 'old' and those hours kill me. I'm up very early every day so I'd rather get in and get it done. By noon I've already been doing stuff for about 7 hours and then go in and have to face another nine hours. Ugh.

Since they raised the minimum to start it's causing some animosity and resentment among employees too. I started at $8 hour and it took me 7 years to reach $11. Now they are starting at $11 an hour plus $1 hour for overnight workers. I don't begrudge anyone anything but you'd think that long time employees should have SOME sort of compensation. We had a LOT of people who've been there 20+ years and, since they started that long ago with really low wages, they aren't making that much more than newbies. If your job gets eliminated you can either move to another dept. but if the job you take pays less than the one you are leaving you take a pay cut. That stinks. Those people earned their $$s and should be allowed to keep it. If they decide to leave they are offered a pay out, one weeks pay for each year. A 20+ years employee would have a good severance check. And some are taking it.

And robots! Yes, it's coming. Some stores already have them. They go up and down the aisles checking for inventory and if it's low, needs restocking, it signals the backroom. They are adding more and more self checkouts, which in itself is not a bad thing because people really do like them. And then there's the order online pickup at the store. The grocery side is going great guns and doing better every day. People who 'hate' Walmart no longer have to go into the store and deal with anything! Some people like going through a cashier, some like self checkout and some like order online/pickup. It's good that they have those options because you just can't please everyone.

Next time you go into Walmart and your cashier isn't exactly happy, smiling and seems 'rude', cut them a little slack. They are worried about their jobs, feeling a LOT of pressure from corporate AND their managers. And woefully understaffed. Truthfully all they want is to do a good job and be 'happy to help'. And get paid decently for it.

Sorry this is so long but I guess I just felt I needed to try to explain a few things. Oh, and Walmart has acquired a bunch of e-commerce companies. I have the Walmart P&L statement downloaded on my computer and can look them up. They aren't letting any grass grow under their feet and it isn't just Amazon they are competing with. If you can't join 'em buy 'em out!!

Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others was stated in the OP?
Or are you merely posting inflammatory material?

That reminds me of people who use self checkout and, in a smirking manner, tell you that it will replace you. They actually seem happy about it. Makes your day so much better!

Old 08-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
As mentioned before, they got caught in a squeeze with finite personnel budgets and pie in the sky promises. They would have been better off hiring more at lower wages, full time, and getting things done. If you note a 'zombie gaze' in the eyes of the overworked associates, it's that they know the ship is going down and they don't know what to do about it.

And that is the big fat truth!

Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 PM

17,613 posts, read 12,197,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I just quit Walmart in July after 8 years. Up until the beginning of this year I was pretty happy there but it has been disappointing this year. We used to get $1 hour more for working on Sundays, could use our sick hours AND PTO, they quit giving merit raises and it's now 2% across the board...basically cut in half. They have eliminated positions, combined others making a heavier workload for them, even out sourced some of their positions.

They started a new scheduling policy that EVERYONE hates because it leaves them understaffed and puts a lot more pressure on the ones trying to do the job of three people. It sounds like they have introduced yet another scheduling procedure where they can work the exact same schedule every week for a few months BUT they don't pay attention to employee's available days/hours. There are quite a few people going to college and some have a 2nd part time job so request days that allow them to do that. Corporate does the scheduling and just ignores all that. It would have been my luck to be scheduled a noon to 9 PM shift when days have always been my schedule. I'm 'old' and those hours kill me. I'm up very early every day so I'd rather get in and get it done. By noon I've already been doing stuff for about 7 hours and then go in and have to face another nine hours. Ugh.

Since they raised the minimum to start it's causing some animosity and resentment among employees too. I started at $8 hour and it took me 7 years to reach $11. Now they are starting at $11 an hour plus $1 hour for overnight workers. I don't begrudge anyone anything but you'd think that long time employees should have SOME sort of compensation. We had a LOT of people who've been there 20+ years and, since they started that long ago with really low wages, they aren't making that much more than newbies. If your job gets eliminated you can either move to another dept. but if the job you take pays less than the one you are leaving you take a pay cut. That stinks. Those people earned their $$s and should be allowed to keep it. If they decide to leave they are offered a pay out, one weeks pay for each year. A 20+ years employee would have a good severance check. And some are taking it.

And robots! Yes, it's coming. Some stores already have them. They go up and down the aisles checking for inventory and if it's low, needs restocking, it signals the backroom. They are adding more and more self checkouts, which in itself is not a bad thing because people really do like them. And then there's the order online pickup at the store. The grocery side is going great guns and doing better every day. People who 'hate' Walmart no longer have to go into the store and deal with anything! Some people like going through a cashier, some like self checkout and some like order online/pickup. It's good that they have those options because you just can't please everyone.

Next time you go into Walmart and your cashier isn't exactly happy, smiling and seems 'rude', cut them a little slack. They are worried about their jobs, feeling a LOT of pressure from corporate AND their managers. And woefully understaffed. Truthfully all they want is to do a good job and be 'happy to help'. And get paid decently for it.

Sorry this is so long but I guess I just felt I needed to try to explain a few things. Oh, and Walmart has acquired a bunch of e-commerce companies. I have the Walmart P&L statement downloaded on my computer and can look them up. They aren't letting any grass grow under their feet and it isn't just Amazon they are competing with. If you can't join 'em buy 'em out!!
It took you 7 years to go from 8.00 a hour to 11.00? Shouldn’t that have been a problem for you irrespective of other’s Pay?

Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It took you 7 years to go from 8.00 a hour to 11.00? Shouldn’t that have been a problem for you irrespective of other’s Pay?

I guess I was just glad to work for a company that actually gave raises every year. I do get a smallish social security check, which helped immensely, but I got by okay. It paid well enough that I could actually pay off my car, buy a house and save up money to take care of me at times like this...being unemployed. Also I live VERY frugally. If I had a family to think of, no, it would've been hard. I guess that's why there are husbands/wives/other family, all working there. I figured out that with the raise restructuring I'd have to work another three years to hit $12 hour. My daughter started there last Sept. at $12 hour. One dollar is for her over night status. Next month she'll get a small raise to $12.25. If I was still there I'd still be stuck at $11.31.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics