U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 PM

14,336 posts, read 12,594,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It took you 7 years to go from 8.00 a hour to 11.00? Shouldnít that have been a problem for you irrespective of otherís Pay?
I think that is par for the course when working the floor in retail.

What are the pay scales when working in a grocery store or in a dollar store or in a Lowes or Home Depot, in a small clothing store at the mall, etc.?

I really don't know for sure so I am asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 PM

8,296 posts, read 9,125,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think that is par for the course when working the floor in retail.

What are the pay scales when working in a grocery store or in a dollar store or in a Lowes or Home Depot, in a small clothing store at the mall, etc.?

I really don't know for sure so I am asking.

In my area the pay scale is pretty darn close. The exception is Safeway and they don't start employees as high as they used to. My cousin worked there for years in the 80s and 90s and started at $8 hour. When she left she was up there income wise. Safeway is also the only business with a union. Right now, if I wanted, I could drive the 16 miles to another small town and cashier for $12 hour. I don't want to cashier anymore. I applied online to Home Depot but never heard anything back.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 AM

3,299 posts, read 2,351,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I guess I was just glad to work for a company that actually gave raises every year. I do get a smallish social security check, which helped immensely, but I got by okay. It paid well enough that I could actually pay off my car, buy a house and save up money to take care of me at times like this...being unemployed. Also I live VERY frugally. If I had a family to think of, no, it would've been hard. I guess that's why there are husbands/wives/other family, all working there. I figured out that with the raise restructuring I'd have to work another three years to hit $12 hour. My daughter started there last Sept. at $12 hour. One dollar is for her over night status. Next month she'll get a small raise to $12.25. If I was still there I'd still be stuck at $11.31.
This is exactly what many predicted could/would happen as wages are forced higher. Companies, even Walmart, only have so much money to operate. Sounds like a good thing to raise starting pay, but look at the consequences for the loyal, long time employees. So sorry AZ.

I'm waiting for the fallout of the free shipping for Amazon Prime members. It can't go on forever, shipping costs are real. Amazon already squeezes money out of all their vendors.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This is exactly what many predicted could/would happen as wages are forced higher. Companies, even Walmart, only have so much money to operate. Sounds like a good thing to raise starting pay, but look at the consequences for the loyal, long time employees. So sorry AZ.

I'm waiting for the fallout of the free shipping for Amazon Prime members. It can't go on forever, shipping costs are real. Amazon already squeezes money out of all their vendors.

Walmart has over 4000 stores and a million plus employees in the US alone. That's a LOT of payroll, to be sure, but if they don't plan to pay them they shouldn't hire them. People say that if minimum wage goes up so will prices. Well, I have news...prices go up every day with or without wage increases. I've watched it happen. I'm glad they raised starting pay but still feel that long time employees deserve more than what they are getting. And on top of that worrying that their job won't be there tomorrow.

I have never shopped Amazon. I don't buy enough 'stuff' to make it worth while. Many stores are now offering free shipping for minimum orders, mostly around $35...which isn't hard to do considering prices. I once ordered two sets of three rugs and found out that if they aren't actually stocked and sold by the store they DO charge shipping. One set of rugs were free shipping but the second set was sent from the provider company and they charged me $63!! I could've bought another set of three for that! You can be sure I check those things now.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM

14,336 posts, read 12,594,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
In my area the pay scale is pretty darn close. The exception is Safeway and they don't start employees as high as they used to. My cousin worked there for years in the 80s and 90s and started at $8 hour. When she left she was up there income wise. Safeway is also the only business with a union. Right now, if I wanted, I could drive the 16 miles to another small town and cashier for $12 hour. I don't want to cashier anymore. I applied online to Home Depot but never heard anything back.
I was pretty sure Walmart wages were about the same as other retail stores and it makes me wonder why everyone ignores that and only complain about Walmart's wages.

And, I think it is wrong to bring in new hires and pay them more than senior employees.

Hope you find a job more to your liking with higher pay.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I was pretty sure Walmart wages were about the same as other retail stores and it makes me wonder why everyone ignores that and only complain about Walmart's wages.

And, I think it is wrong to bring in new hires and pay them more than senior employees.

Hope you find a job more to your liking with higher pay.

Well, the biggest dog gets the most attention and Walmart is 'it'. There are as many opinions about Walmart as there are people AND a lot of what people complain about simply isn't true. I have always tried to 'set the record straight' and be as truthful and helpful as I can to thwart some of it. But people have a bad habit of believing all they hear/read. Personally I'm a fan of "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see". I do happen to be disappointed with some things happening in the company right now because I have many good friends there. Glad it won't affect me anymore though.

I liked my job, a lot. I will miss the benefits also which are pretty generous. I doubt I'll get another job with higher pay here but it will definitely be less physical and stressful. I just hope it's not boring! lol

Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM

2,981 posts, read 3,772,628 times
Default the Walmart warehousse "slave ship"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.

Raises the question : what comes next?
It's going to be really interesting to see the dot.com guys taking their "model" to the logistic and bulk sales industries. It's going to be a challenge: does the attitude create the structure, or does the structure create the attitude", a timeless political science question.

I did my five months in the Walmart warehouse, row three, galley 13, next to Charles Heston and some dog poucher on the end of OUR OAR. so we had to pull for three, while 'sir shoulderless' whined .

Not much sympathy from this guy.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,713,558 times
My biggest problem with Amazon is the enormous amount of fake and paid for reviews. You buy a security system and 50-100 people give 5 stars saying it is a great system and recommends it to all, then you see 5-10 people say its the biggest piece of crap and to stay away. You buy it, thinking its really is good and see the 5-10 people are absolutely correct and start to find out that alot of Amazon reviews were products in which they were given it free in exchange for positive reviews, so you as a consumer really have no clue when you see a product with great reviews, if it really is very good or some cheap China re-badge with no support, horrible warranty or return policy, or just a really bad product. This applies to many items Ive come across: tablets, security systems, cameras, dash cams,cell phone accessories, car accessories, Bluetooth items, and more.

Walmart may sell alot of the same cheap crap, but aleast sometimes you can see in person what you might be getting vs the surprise on Amazon.

But not dealing with the long cashier lines and even longer customer service line at Walmart, give Amazon a advantage any day and the have the greeter check you like the TSA afterwards to make sure you didnt just steal.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 PM

3,299 posts, read 2,351,723 times
Quote:
:
I'll tell you why. Walmart isn't unionized, same as most retailers. And Walmart has usually paid more than Target and the rest. But the unions want in and most of the bad press comes right from the largest unions, then gets re-broadcast as real news.

When I worked at a large non-retail corporation and was forced to join the union, our starting union pay was less than what Walmart paid. Yet every union newsletter bashed Walmart.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'll tell you why. Walmart isn't unionized, same as most retailers. And Walmart has usually paid more than Target and the rest. But the unions want in and most of the bad press comes right from the largest unions, then gets re-broadcast as real news.

When I worked at a large non-retail corporation and was forced to join the union, our starting union pay was less than what Walmart paid. Yet every union newsletter bashed Walmart.
This was my exact experience too. I worked at a union grocery store that bashed Walmart and started me at state minimum wage while asking for $7/week from my paycheck for union dues. So as I was pulling in $5.15/hr and working 10 hours a week as a hs kid they took 15% of my paycheck for union dues...you know for helping negotiate that minimum wage salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics