U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:22 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times

Advertisements

Amazon, at least to me, has a better website. Walmart does not carry everything, Amazon does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
There's a ton of stuff I purchase at Sam's Club or Walmart that is just not reasonable to purchase at Amazon.

I'm not going to purchase a 32 pack of water, gasoline, a thing of chicken tenders, etc., at Amazon. Walmart is my staple grocer now. I get vegetables and some meat at the local store. The vast majority of groceries and household goods do not come from Amazon.

As far as "discretionary retail spending," yeah, it probably sucks up most of those dollars.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:20 AM

11,048 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Walmart basically ships the same stuff for the same price in the same amount of time. The 2 key differences:

You can return stuff to Walmart should the need arise.

You can buy it at the store if you need it the same day.

Advantage, walmart.
Are you sure? My impression is that Amazon has a much wider inventory of choices, because of their willingness to act as a front end for smaller retailers. Many of my purchases ship from the factory or from small import houses in the US. Amazon handles billing, complaints, returns, etc.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM

11,048 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's a ton of stuff I purchase at Sam's Club or Walmart that is just not reasonable to purchase at Amazon.

I'm not going to purchase a 32 pack of water, gasoline, a thing of chicken tenders, etc., at Amazon. Walmart is my staple grocer now. I get vegetables and some meat at the local store. The vast majority of groceries and household goods do not come from Amazon.

As far as "discretionary retail spending," yeah, it probably sucks up most of those dollars.
I don't see it as an either/or choice. Walmart's prices are set by collusion with the big chains. I have a local independent market that averages about 10% below Walmart prices. They are competitive with Costco, but with much better selection. Their buyers also do a much better job. When the local 4-H lamb sale happens, Sherm's will fill a full meat case with nothing but lamb cuts. They support the kids, and customers get prime lamb cuts at a reasonable price. They also buy gourmet items from small producers, like vacuum packed smoked coho salmon from a small processor in Seattle. They are also responsive to customers. I asked the store manager once if they could stock canned mushrooms not processed in China, and six weeks later they were on the shelf.

I don't pay much attention to Walmart because their prices are high, but don't think they are very flexible in their purchasing. I have never considered Amazon for groceries. If all you have is big chains to pick from, I can see how Walmart might be the best of a bad bunch.

Here is an example of one of Sherm's ads.

https://www.shermsmarkets.com/WeeklyAd/Store/47865/

Old 09-04-2018, 11:51 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
Already many stores have services where you select your groceries and other items online. You then o to the back door and they give a pre-packed box(es). It i only a matter of time before the drones save you a trip to the store. Drone already can carry up to 50 pounds. In a decade or less, they will carry more and the programming/routing bugs will be worked out. Drones will fill the sky and a trip to the store will be a memory. Why drive to the store when a drone can bring the whatever to you in fifteen minutes? Making a cake and forgot eggs? No problem three clicks will have a dozen eggs n your steps in fifteen minutes. Amazon is already ahead of Walmart in this regard. Amazon is spending hundreds of millions putting robotic distribution centers all over the country. Already, they can have your order filled within hours and delivered the same day or next day (give or take a little. However Amazon is the only company I see investing so much in distribution centers and data centers. By the time other companies realize how far behind they are, it may be too late for them to catch up.

Big grocers like Kroger may be more competition for them. They are expanding their services and providing more and more online shopping. Also big everything stores like Costco and Menards if they find the means to catch up.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 15,275,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't see it as an either/or choice. Walmart's prices are set by collusion with the big chains. I have a local independent market that averages about 10% below Walmart prices. They are competitive with Costco, but with much better selection. Their buyers also do a much better job. When the local 4-H lamb sale happens, Sherm's will fill a full meat case with nothing but lamb cuts. They support the kids, and customers get prime lamb cuts at a reasonable price. They also buy gourmet items from small producers, like vacuum packed smoked coho salmon from a small processor in Seattle. They are also responsive to customers. I asked the store manager once if they could stock canned mushrooms not processed in China, and six weeks later they were on the shelf.

I don't pay much attention to Walmart because their prices are high, but don't think they are very flexible in their purchasing. I have never considered Amazon for groceries. If all you have is big chains to pick from, I can see how Walmart might be the best of a bad bunch.

Here is an example of one of Sherm's ads.

https://www.shermsmarkets.com/WeeklyAd/Store/47865/
We have a couple of choices.

1) Walmart/Sam's Club - self explanatory.
2) Target. There are no Super Targets within a hundred miles. Grocery selection is extremely limited at Target.
3) Ingle's - regional grocer. Two in my rough travel pattern. A dumpy Kroger per city. The only mainline grocer is a regional chain called Food City.
4) Aldi and salvage stores.

Walmart is the only reasonable option.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:07 PM

13,115 posts, read 18,715,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Most of the things I buy at Walmart aren't things I would order online...cat litter.
I order kitty litter from Walmart online.
Same as in store price. Actually lower price due to taxing regimes.
Free delivery to my front door. My mailman hates me.
And, I do not have to set foot in a store that has cooties.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 AM

4,725 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.
Hah hah what?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/walm...s-q2-2018.html

Walmart on Thursday reported quarterly earnings and sales that topped analysts' expectations, as more shoppers flocked to its stores and spent more per trip, and e-commerce sales ticked higher than previous quarters. The retailer said it had the strongest growth in more than a decade at those stores open for at least 12 months, thanks to robust sales in its grocery and apparel departments, both of which Walmart has poured money into to compete with the likes of Amazon and Kroger. Walmart shares closed the day up 9.3 percent on the news, the most gains since Nov. 16, 2017, when the stock climbed 10.9 percent.

It sounds like you're just assuming your beliefs on Walmart turned out to be true, even if they haven't. Walmart is actually one of the few major brick&mortar chains (along with Best Buy) that has managed to adapt to the digital business model fairly well.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM

922 posts, read 563,100 times
Walmart and Amazon are more likely to merge than either one is likely to fail in favor of the other. Also either entity is more likely to secure a “too big to fail” bailout owing to their lobbying and other political powers.

So, those that seem to think this is the beginning of the end of Wal-Mart sorry to say that is highly unlikely in all manner of scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics