Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.

Raises the question : what comes next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I don’t know that amazon beats them on prIcing. I’ve found Walmart prices are often lower

Old 08-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Walmart will suffer some and end up closing stores in some markets, but they will always have a huge customer base of people in some areas that either don't have the technology to order from Amazon, or don't have a checking or credit card account to charge things to.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:09 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Wal-Mart is having a fine time with re-arranging deck chairs after hitting the iceberg Amazon.

Between understaffing and cutting hours, employees / associates are turning into zombies, awaiting the bitter end.
Amazon beats them with lower prices, better customer service, and is taking market share away from them just when they can't "grow" their business via opening more stores.

Based on the current money madness paradigm, marketshare constriction spells doom.

Raises the question : what comes next?
You think WalMart is on the way out? I would beg to differ. You should short the stock. #couldbearoughride

Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I beg to differ too.

Most of the things I buy at Walmart aren't things I would order online.

Groceries, many of which are refrigerated, produce, paper towels, toilet paper, water, pop, cat litter.

Canned dog and cat food.....only feel comfortable ordering online during fair weather months, I worry about the quality of canned food if it sits on my porch for hours on end in blistering heat or ending up frozen solid and ruined during winter months.

And then there is dealing with all of the boxes when ordering online. I do not want to deal with the giant boxes I would end up with ordering things like TP and paper towels, cat litter, dry dog and cat food, water, etc., especially since more and more recycling drop offs are being closed due to people using them as dumping sites. For me, there is a point when the PITA factor overrides saving a few dollars.

I mainly reserve online purchases for things I cannot easily find locally. Like a certain brand of makeup or shampoo, slippers, shoes, electronics, vitamins, etc.

I bought a sump pump online because I couldn't find the highest rated brand in a local store, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware or Walmart.

In short, I don't think Walmart has to worry about Amazon.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Walmart will suffer some and end up closing stores in some markets, but they will always have a huge customer base of people in some areas that either don't have the technology to order from Amazon, or don't have a checking or credit card account to charge things to.
Like K-mart in the 90's ?

Either re-invent yourself or go out like K-mart. ..

They won't ALWAYS have a huge customer base ...

Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Walmart will suffer some and end up closing stores in some markets...
More than just some. But most of this was needed regardless of the Amazon issues
and it was getting done (eg the smaller neighborhood stores).

Quote:
...they will always have a huge customer base of people in some areas
Not just some. At least half of the country lives on the far edge of or well outside of one of the
major metropolitan areas where the other/better shopping choices still exist.

Quote:
...that either don't have the technology to order from Amazon,
or don't have a checking or credit card account to charge things to.
Meh. Wifi and Visa cards aren't a big issue.

Probably a larger market segment group are the people who just don't like how big Amazon is becoming
and will take their business elsewhere as a protest. The irony of this is not lost on the Waltons.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandBaron85 View Post
Like K-mart in the 90's ?

Either re-invent yourself or go out like K-mart. ..

They won't ALWAYS have a huge customer base ...
K-Mart went out of business because the stores were poorly managed and many times their prices weren't competitive.

I had a K-Mart very close to me vs Walmart 9 miles further away.

I quit bothering to stop at my local K-Mart because 9 times out of ten, they would be out of a common item I specifically stopped in for, so I would have to drive all the way to Walmart anyway, so why waste my time?

For instance, one time I needed an extension cord, stopped at K-Mart and they didn't have any, the shelf was empty.

Another example, a bag of bird seed would be priced 4 or 5 dollars more than I would pay for the same size bag at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

So far, I don't see Walmart going down that path.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Walmart basically ships the same stuff for the same price in the same amount of time. The 2 key differences:

You can return stuff to Walmart should the need arise.

You can buy it at the store if you need it the same day.

Advantage, walmart.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:31 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Walmart basically ships the same stuff for the same price in the same amount of time. The 2 key differences:

You can return stuff to Walmart should the need arise.

You can buy it at the store if you need it the same day.

Advantage, walmart.

This. Sort of.

Wal-Mart has its issues, but it actually has stayed very competitive with Amazon despite the huge head start that our tax laws gave Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics