Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 03:50 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many sidelined workers are no longer employable by today's standards . many are just undesirable employees left .

you have a good portion who will test positive for hard core drugs , or can't pass a back ground check . the bulk may even be those let go because they were just not good workers and are just not wanted .

i have nothing to do with hiring at my old company but they have been hiring for years in quite a few states . the quality of people left has been poorer and poorer . like everything in life you reach a point of diminishing returns
When does the question of employer expectations have to be brought into the picture? IF the up and coming generations dont want to work like roman slaves then they dont have to, after all this is a free country.

So if more and more americans are tired of working like dogs for NOT an extremely early retirement (like 40) then isent that something employers just have to deal with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:53 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
you are trying to generalize with straw people using them as an example . i don't know many who work like roman slaves . but i have met many who i would consider unemployable .

Old 12-09-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
you are trying to generalize with straw people using them as an example . i don't know many who work like roman slaves . but i have met many who i would consider unemployable .
What defines them as unemployable

Old 12-09-2018, 04:12 AM

hard drug issues , can't pass a background check , poor credit reports where applicable , poor work ethics and can't keep a job , poor skills not in demand , poor work history, demonstrating poor knowledge in your field when interviewed .

i will add just not wanting to work and making rediculous demands . we had quite a few apply for low level warehouse jobs and say they wanted 20 an hour because that is the equal of their unemployment and working off the books at the pizza place .

then you have those who can barely speak english and converse to you in "thug" ...

i can go on for days with the list of reasons .

i know the company i worked for has had lots of needs for people , they grew from 6 million when i started to 113 million today . the farther we got from the great house cleaning of the great recession where marginal employees were cut the less desirable the labor pool has been .

my old company counts very heavy on head hunters to fill the ranks as they pirate the better best of breed employees from competitors .as most of those left are undesirable. you can pretty much say just about anyone who really wants to work and is "employable " is likely doing so .

the problem is most who are still unemployed outside of rural areas are likely unemployed for a reason.

usually the better employees who are working with good track records are hired before their bodies even hit the streets unemployed

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-09-2018 at 04:22 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 04:21 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If its great then why would I struggle to find work? By definition a great market means its an employees market thus NO ONE should struggle.
Which definition is that? I've never heard of a definition for a great job market that meant 0% unemployment with nobody struggling to find work, can you please refer me to the source of this definition?

There are always people who are poor hires or set unrealistic expectations and desires for a job, so there will always be some people struggling to find work.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:24 AM

many of those unemployed never realize they are "unemployable " or undesirable for anything except the lowest levels . to them they just believe there are no jobs out there . it is everyone else to blame for their lack of job success .

Old 12-09-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
hard drug issues , can't pass a background check , poor credit reports where applicable , poor work ethics and can't keep a job , poor skills not in demand , poor work history .

i will add just not wanting to work and making rediculous demands . we had quite a few apply for low level warehouse jobs and say they wanted 20 an hour because that is the equal of their unemployment and working off the books at the pizza place .

then you have those who can barely speak english and converse to you in "thug" ...

i know the company i worked for has had lots of needs for people , they grew from 6 million when i started to 113 million today . the farther we got from the great house cleaning of the great recession where marginal employees were cut the less desirable the labor pool has been .

my old company counts very heavy on head hunters to fill the ranks as they pirate the better best of breed employees from competitors .as most of those left are undesirable. you can pretty much say just about anyone who really wants to work and is "employable " is likely doing so .

the problem is most who are still unemployed outside of rural areas are likely unemployed for a reason.
Yea I most definitly dont fall into those catagories. But at this point im not going to work for less than 20 hr and even that is super low for my resume. So it sounds like you are looking for poverty level wage jobs but want someone thats not on drugs and has skills?

I am technically "employed" but I am not in my field of engineering and that is a problem for me. So I suppose I would say I am severely under employed.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea I most definitly dont fall into those catagories. But at this point im not going to work for less than 20 hr and even that is super low for my resume. So it sounds like you are looking for poverty level wage jobs but want someone thats not on drugs and has skills?

I am technically "employed" but I am not in my field of engineering and that is a problem for me. So I suppose I would say I am severely under employed.
we can't say what your reason for being under-employed is . like i said no one sees themselves as an undesirable worker or just dropping the ball on networking and getting hired for various reasons .

so the fact someone is under employed or unemployed really does not mean much to others as far as the reasons behind it .

you ask any of those who failed to make the grade to fill some of the slots in my old company , of which there are many on all levels and they all likely have reasons other then what really kept them from being hired . .

Old 12-09-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
this is an example of the jobs right now looking to be filled at my old company where i still teach one day a week . many of the candidates applying have been way below par and deficient in making the cut .

this is besides the driver , warehouse and picker packer jobs .

by the way , if anyone is interested d/m me .

This job opening is for a reliable, entry-level engineer technician.
Duties:
Field Service Calls
Startup Services – control panels, VFDs, ATS switches, UPS systems
Make records of existing control conditions for replacement
Troubleshooting control circuits
Requirements:
Associates Degree
Familiar with Microsoft programs – Outlook, Excel, Word
Reading Electrical Schematics and basic electrical troubleshooting techniques
Capability to be in a job site or production factory environment (hot, cold, wet, dry, etc.) for a brief period of time
Desire/willingness to learn new concepts and methods.
Strong problem solving skills
Benefits Package:
Competitive and comprehensive Benefits Package
401K with company match contributions
Candidates are subject to a full background screening and drug testing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are seeking an innovative and motivated entry level Electrical Engineer.
Duties:
Product Design and specifications, including auto cad and procurement
Prepare concept sketches, layouts and specification documents as required.
Assignments involving new product design, product improvements, test analysis, production liaison and service liaison utilizing a variety of engineering disciplines
Structural, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical and/or control system design
Prepare basic analysis, test, performance, schedule, and cost information as required in assigned area of responsibility
Prepare and report on progress, feasibility, and concept studies, etc. as required
Supervise work of all assigned personnel
Assist other departments in preparation of manuals and sales literature on assigned projects
Maintain close contact and coordinate activities with other groups within the Product Engineering department.
Requirements:
Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering
Familiar with CAD Systems (2D/3D)
Reading Electrical Schematics and basic electrical troubleshooting techniques
Capability to be in a job site or production factory environment (hot, cold, wet, dry, etc.) for a brief period of time
Benefits Package:
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer (EOE).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looking for multiple Outside Sales Reps to sell Electrical Supplies, Electric Motors, Pumps, Controls and Power Transmission Equipment.
Our outside sales representatives are responsible for new business sales, territory management and development, and hitting sales goals. The Candidates must possess strong technical aptitude and have excellent communication skills. We are a company dedicated to customer focus, commitment to quality, and respect for others.
We are willing to train the right person. This is a great opportunity for development and advancement in a progressive organization.
Requirements:
At least 2 years of business to business sales experience
Desire to grow business through outside sales appointments
Track record of success and achievement as a sales representative
Consistently identify new sources of business
Maintain high productivity and standards
Strong negotiation and communication skills
Compensation:
Base salary
Commission
Bonus potential
Benefits Package:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
seeking an Inside Sales Representatives to write orders and assist in selling Electrical Supplies, Electric Motors, Pumps, Controls and Power Transmission Equipment. We are a company dedicated to customer focus, commitment to quality, and respect for others.
This opening is for an inside sales rep that will work out of our offices in New Hyde Park. Candidate must possess excellent communication and analytical skills. We are willing to train the right person. Recent college graduates a plus.
Duties:
Develop prospective customers’ interest in our solutions
Schedule appointments for the outside sales team
Meet productivity objectives
Requirements:
Maintain high productivity and standards
Strong up sell and communication skills
Benefits Package:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are seeking an experienced technician who would like to join a progressive, growing company that is delivering a revolutionary building energy management system. You can learn more about US Energy Group here.
Responsibilities
Installation of internet equipment, including routers/switches and network cabling
Troubleshooting and analyzing issues with US Energy Customer Service Representatives
Install wireless sensors in apartment buildings
Work with the installation department on special projects as the need arises
Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to fulfill job functions or as assigned
Promote US Energy Products and Services
Desired Skills and Experience
Excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills;
Bilingual preferably Spanish speaking.
Multi-task, articulate, analytical.
Must have a valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
Must be detail-oriented and have problem solving skills.
Proficient in the use of computers and various software.
Work afternoon/evening shifts.
Experience in configuring internet routers or modems.
Must be proficient with hand tools.
Benefits Package:
Yep, It is looking like I am going to have to finish my second BS in electrical and finish the EE PE. Simply having "significant EE course work" and "being approved for the EE PE" is not going to cut it. Because I make peanuts now though I am likely going to have to go to one class a year in order to pay the exorbitant fees out of pocket (I just paid off my BS ChE loans in 2015 and I have no intentions of taking out a single student loan ever again.

This will force me to put an edx masters on hold as I dont know if those even count with employers so I cant do what I really want to do due to this job loss. I cant take general relativity, fourier optics or the like because I have to secure real cash flow first. I was going to start a new masters program at my local state school until I got the bill for 2300 for one class, when your making 20 hr, 2300 is ALOT of money

If I could go back and warn my young self not to major in chemical engineering and instead electrical engineering, I totally would. I guess I should count myself lucky I didnt major in petrolium engineering, I would probably already be homeless by now.

I dont even know if an edx masters without the BS in EE would allow me to go for IEEE certs or cisco etc.

What an fing nightmare.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:50 AM

many commissioned sales people can make multiple 6 figures just selling high tech products , even without degrees .

robotics and factory automation sales today is booming and a lot can be learned free at factory schools . i got my education via the factories working for a distributor as a sales engineer , no degree . for a while commercial lighting was the place to be with all the led retrofits . today the money is out of it as prices have plunged. so it pays to be adaptable . there is a big difference in what you earn when 2x4 led panels were 145 bucks each vs 30-40 bucks each today .

so today if you don't want to be under employed it takes creativity and finding the areas to go to where others are not yet .

but money loves a vacuum and you can bet any area you pick will saturate so you need to keep morphing to stay a head of the curve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics