U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM

10,680 posts, read 5,225,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I applied for an equipment sales job this past summer and that did not pan out but I donít have sales experience, I am a design engineer.

In theory I could retire doing what Iím doing now and just shelve the development of my intellectual property. Take some edx course here and there and call it a day.
You have to ease in the position. Nobody will pay to train you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 03:44 PM

8,492 posts, read 3,627,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Of course you aren't alone, but I'm still baffled by this logic that if anyone is struggling it cannot be a good economy or job market. That implies a belief that everyone is employable, which clearly isn't the case. We don't live in Fantasyland... there has never been, and never will be a world economy where nobody is struggling.
I don't disagree. But IMO the std of living of a people is most important. And that means doing what helps the down trodden if feasible. Each country/gov't has this responsibility for its people.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM

2,066 posts, read 503,123 times
I think it's important to consider that people often spend above their means. Having the latest Iphone is a WANT, not a need. There used to be a great show on CNBC called Til Debt Do Us Part. A woman named Gail Voz Oxley would meet a couple, talk about their finances and help them get out of debt. It was clear watching this who that some people can't live within their means. A lot of people actually.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM

11,421 posts, read 11,787,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most think equities have a reputation as an inflation hedge but like real estate , that is wrong . they only soared after inflation was reversing . real estate was dying horribly with 18% mortgages .
I did very well in real estate in the '80s. There were many distressed properties to choose from, and many people were willing to carry owner financing on a 10 year note. By picking the right house and with a little paint and a lawnmower, it wasn't hard to double my money in 3 years. I just wish I had held onto some of those flips as rentals. Ah well, hindsight. I was a general contractor, and more interested in survival than long term investments back then.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 PM

11,421 posts, read 11,787,067 times
Just a tip for those who want a better job: find a field that is licensed by your state, and get that license. I have a niece who dropped out of college and took a 9 month community college program to become a dialysis tech. She was working before she finished the course, and has rolled it into a solid income. She and her husband (a QA tech for an automated tool maker) just bought their first home at age 22 and 23. Neither have a 4-year degree. Their first child was born 16 months ago. They have no debt but the mortgage. Grandparents provide child care, which is a big help to them.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 PM

5,207 posts, read 2,486,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I don't disagree. But IMO the std of living of a people is most important. And that means doing what helps the down trodden if feasible. Each country/gov't has this responsibility for its people.
Absolutely, but maintaining a standard of living (also a tough thing to agree on definition) is completely different from whether the job market is strong.

IMO anyone claiming this isn't a strong job market is delusional.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM

6,353 posts, read 2,682,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just a tip for those who want a better job: find a field that is licensed by your state, and get that license. I have a niece who dropped out of college and took a 9 month community college program to become a dialysis tech. She was working before she finished the course, and has rolled it into a solid income. She and her husband (a QA tech for an automated tool maker) just bought their first home at age 22 and 23. Neither have a 4-year degree. Their first child was born 16 months ago. They have no debt but the mortgage. Grandparents provide child care, which is a big help to them.
I am a licensed professional engineer but I got the wrong discipline. Trying to get a second discipline but also want to start a business because the entire engineering market is fickle These are the catch 22's I am running up against

- How leveraging is getting a second license in say electrical engineering without having the formal degree since most jobs say BS in electrical engineering. Trying to explain that I am a chemical engineer with significant EE course work and a PE ..... next.

- This then segways into the next question, its going to take roughly the same time to get a MS EE vs BS EE (because I already took the hard weed our courses in EE so I can take MS level classes with no problems. The issue now is I dont have a good income anymore so I will have to do something like edx which is cool but how leveraging is that in the market if you say you have an MS EE from the edx program

- then there is the starting my own business angle but material and equipment start up costs as well as building out space is $$$$$$. I have alot of equipment and tooling I bought when I was making real money but now every $100 I spend has to be highly leveraging or I have to build my own.

- I could finish out my A&P cert which I am almost done with (and I had originally started to work on my own plane, now im just going to do it anyways like most other Alaskans). But they are still wanting to pay A&Ps like 20-25 hr. I am making that now and I dont have to sign off planes.

The issue I am seeing is the cost of everything is going out of sight but no one wants to pay anything for jobs. They want to pay a mechanic 20/hr but bill out at 80-120 hr etc.

Maybe just do my 20/hr gig and play video games and call it a day

Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 PM

6,353 posts, read 2,682,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Absolutely, but maintaining a standard of living (also a tough thing to agree on definition) is completely different from whether the job market is strong.

IMO anyone claiming this isn't a strong job market is delusional.
Its really not that tough, the under tones in the things capitalists say suggest they want to go back to a form of feudalism. You keep hearing about over spending on things like iphones or avacado toast when in reality the costs of these things pales in comparison to the upfront costs of say a home.

They buy these things because its the only pseudo luxury items they feel they will be able to afford unless they win the job lottery.

Do people need a phone and communication / internet - yes its a need, yes internet is a need. Does it have to be the LATEST iphone ... no

Avacado toast is FOOD, could they be eating beans and ramen, sure, but what kind of standard of living is that?

I think capitalists like to make it complicated when its really not. The couple hundred bucks to trade in and get a new iphone is not what is causing people to not be able to buy homes or have real money to invest, its LOW wages even if someone is skilled or certified / degreed.

I mean people making 11-20 hr cant buy equipment and pay for classes buildings etc. Or even buy the raw materials to do it themselves. 11-20 hr is such paltry wages that you cant really do much of anything but survive.

So you now have a market of people that just dont care, van living and tiny homes are now becoming a thing because no one can make any money.

Its not easy to get a 70/hr job, in fact its REALLY REALLY hard. And thats really the wage you need and it needs to be sustained over a period of time to really build anything.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 AM

66,942 posts, read 67,955,189 times
unfortunately , for many in certain areas both career wise and geographically food will never grow and short of moving to where the food is they will always starve trying to grow food in the sand .

you can have the best farming equipment there is , but if the land can't grow food it is what it is .

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM

5,207 posts, read 2,486,085 times
Quote:
So you now have a market of people that just dont care, van living and tiny homes are now becoming a thing because no one can make any money
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off the rails he goes....

You can never resist injecting ridiculous hyperbole into any discussion. Unemployment is low, real wages are up. There is no indication that people don't care, median home size has barely budged from recent highs, and you have absolutely zero data to support your (oft-repeated) claim that van living has become a thing.

Quote:
Its not easy to get a 70/hr job, in fact its REALLY REALLY hard. And thats really the wage you need and it needs to be sustained over a period of time to really build anything.
Sounds like you've got yet another excuse locked and loaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics