U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 PM

174 posts, read 26,564 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'll just buy an independent LTC facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:13 PM

2,155 posts, read 521,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Maybe I'll just buy an independent LTC facility.
I thought this back in the early 90's. Wish I had done it.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 AM

238 posts, read 116,436 times
Default ...there but for fortune go I... - Joan Baez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so true . but as you see here misery articles get far better responses then success stories where posters are beaten up for bragging . misery loves company .
Aye, Mathjak,

Two weeks ago I received compensation for my hearing loss (retired Federal worker one year). I worked in a loud industrial environment. Instead of blowing the money on a cruise or lighting up the town, I used the money to pay off a loan. For the first time in decades, I am debt free save a modest mortgage. This financial freedom feels great. But I do know that I am a disaster away from ruin.
Happy New Year to all.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:03 PM

127 posts, read 50,670 times
I think people with families and people over 50 are struggling to get by. And also include anyone with over 10k in loans working crap jobs.

I agree that medical bills can also make it rough. But there's also a lot of people that just can't budget.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:19 AM

18,847 posts, read 12,307,042 times
Problem many people have is same as some companies and governments for that matter; debt.

Servicing debt be it a consumer, government, governmental agency or business acts same as a tax. It is money taken away from earnings.

Am not going to stir those old pools as to why or how households rack up debt. But having done so many now simply cannot get off that ride until the thing is paid in full.

Thanks to universal default clauses in CC account agreements being just thirty days late on any account can bring serious consequences and repercussions. Many cards don't give much slack either if one is just thirty days or less late.

Worse still for anyone carrying CC balances is that interest rates are rising. Many are seeing adjustable rates > 18% with after Fed action last week now at or >20%.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:03 AM

13,321 posts, read 9,436,576 times
IMHO, the aggregate tax load of 39% - 44% (depending on state) is the reason why Americans are struggling.
In 1910, the total tax taken was 0.8% of the GNP.

A worker who keeps 99.2% of his wages versus one who has 56% . . . that's a tough one to figure out.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,635,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Problem many people have is same as some companies and governments for that matter; debt.

Monetary sovereignty is the key difference with our federal gov't. A whole different world as it relates to debt.

People, businesses, and lower gov'ts cannot create USD like at the Federal level. And the Federal Gov't won't ever have to pay off its debt. Another key difference.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 AM

12,154 posts, read 7,790,525 times
I was about to say that personal finances should be a part of our educational system, but then I remembered that the feds run that, too. Not that any state would do any better.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:24 PM

2,649 posts, read 5,999,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Debra Poppelaars of Nashville, Tennessee, underwent spinal fusion surgery last fall and was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly thereafter. Although she is insured, she owes roughly $19,000 for her portion of the medical bills.
As unfortunate as this is, I wager she selected a health insurance plan with a high out of pocket deductible and high max out of Pocket. While such plans can save a few dollars a month up front, if you get seriously ill, they end up costing your far more. You should never have more than 5 or 6K max out of pocket health insurance plan. I've seen plans with at high as 25k Max OOP, you have to realize that if your seriously sick, you will have to cough up 25k before health insurance picks up the entire tab.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 5,999,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
So much truth here. I lived in S. Korea for most of my childhood, and while it's no third world country by any means, the opportunities are not comparable to what the US offers. I can't tell you the number of Korean families I know who moved to the states knowing little to no English, and still managed to open and run a successful dry cleaning business or whatever business they desired, and make more than a lot of doctors/lawyers do. Amazing what hard work and a desirable skillset can do for a person in the US.
No disrespect to Koreans, but generally people that have the motivation to leave everything they know behind to start a new life elsewhere are often the best and brightest people a county has to offer. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that if Korean immigrates can build a successful career in the United States with nothing, all Koreans are equally smart and motivated. Nothing is father from the truth, there probably is just as many Koreans that are lazy unmotivated morons, as there are in the US, but we never see those Koreans, they are still in Korea.

Also IQ is another factor, we like to think everyone has the same mental capacity as everyone else, but rough 15% of the population has such an low IQ, they are basically unemployable, or only qualified for the simplest repetitive tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics