U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2018, 01:57 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,095,401 times
Reputation: 2072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Just as a side note: I grew up in a pretty affluent home; father was a physical therapist and did very well. For awhile we had 3 homes.

BUT, we were NOT allowed to discuss money at all. I tried to ask my dad about money and if that word even came out of my mouth, he would get angry. Once he said he would disinherit me, just for asking what an annuity was. Money in any form was a taboo subject.

So, despite being "affluent", no one taught us anything about money. And of course it is not taught in school at all. My SAHM never knew how to balance a checkbook; she hardly even wrote a check.

Not passing blame; just saying that even us "not poor" sometimes were not taught the basics. I had to learn it "the hard way"....

And health care can derail the best-laid financial plans. Co-pays alone can bankrupt a person. The U.S. is absolutely insane in the for-profit health-care model. The rest of the world laughs.

Just priced a colonoscopy here: $350. It was $1,500 in 2008 last time I checked in the U.S. In 2010 I had no insurance and they wanted to charge me $40,000 for a kidney stone. C'mon!

Corp greed.. and add hospital over charges.. Mean come on.. 500 per asprin.. 1k per IV bag.

You can get bottle of asprin for 2 bucks and IV bag for 5$ at walgreens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2018, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 9,825,953 times
Reputation: 15571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
I think your experience just shows how uneven the distribution of wealth is in America.
Which is a great thing, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 PM
 
12,224 posts, read 4,246,086 times
Reputation: 4929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Which is a great thing, of course.
Why is mass inequality a great thing? Some inequality is fine, but extreme inequality is a huge democratic problem as money=power. The more lopsided the income distribution is, the more lopsided the power balance is. The billionaire class can in effect steamroll the population and their corruption and greed is endless. You have to choose; either massive inequality or democracy. Cant have both. You end up with the extreme oligarchy and mass poverty we see in highly unequal third world countries, where a tiny corrupt elite rigs the system and live like feudal lords and the masses live in desperation. There is nothing great about this. Its morally and economically bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 PM
 
18,226 posts, read 15,360,434 times
Reputation: 34419
My post should have said 3 month emergency fund, not just "month" but it's too late to edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 03:10 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,095,401 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why is mass inequality a great thing? Some inequality is fine, but extreme inequality is a huge democratic problem as money=power. The more lopsided the income distribution is, the more lopsided the power balance is. The billionaire class can in effect steamroll the population and their corruption and greed is endless. You have to choose; either massive inequality or democracy. Cant have both. You end up with the extreme oligarchy and mass poverty we see in highly unequal third world countries, where a tiny corrupt elite rigs the system and live like feudal lords and the masses live in desperation. There is nothing great about this. Its morally and economically bankrupt.
Good point and valid.

Money is power and what runs our nation. Do you honestly think any congress women or men cares about your hometown problems, or city needs. Just as long as they are getting their pockets fat by lobbiest, nothing can be done. Voting season is just same story just different year. Idiots keep putting them back in office because some too scare to run or $$ to even get a foot out the door. MCCain is a example of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM
 
8,492 posts, read 3,627,643 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Just as a side note: I grew up in a pretty affluent home; father was a physical therapist and did very well. For awhile we had 3 homes.

BUT, we were NOT allowed to discuss money at all. I tried to ask my dad about money and if that word even came out of my mouth, he would get angry. Once he said he would disinherit me, just for asking what an annuity was. Money in any form was a taboo subject.

So, despite being "affluent", no one taught us anything about money. And of course it is not taught in school at all. My SAHM never knew how to balance a checkbook; she hardly even wrote a check.

Not passing blame; just saying that even us "not poor" sometimes were not taught the basics. I had to learn it "the hard way"....

And health care can derail the best-laid financial plans. Co-pays alone can bankrupt a person. The U.S. is absolutely insane in the for-profit health-care model. The rest of the world laughs.

Just priced a colonoscopy here: $350. It was $1,500 in 2008 last time I checked in the U.S. In 2010 I had no insurance and they wanted to charge me $40,000 for a kidney stone. C'mon!
Stay in your Obamacare network and your max OOP is not that bad.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...maximum-limit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 PM
 
8,492 posts, read 3,627,643 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Corp greed.. and add hospital over charges.. Mean come on.. 500 per asprin.. 1k per IV bag.

You can get bottle of asprin for 2 bucks and IV bag for 5$ at walgreens.
Hospital charges are not costs, not what your insurance pays, and not they will settle on taking as full reimbursement. The charges are inflated because it does help the hospitals keep their revenues up. It is all negotiable.

IMO the fastest, easiest and most broad way that we can assist our middle class is with OOP HC cost relief. Everyone will need and benefit it at some point in time. We need to make HC much less of a middle class burden, and then 100's of millions of our people will be financially relieved and given massive security.

As far as helping our middle class, these tariffs bandied about are like a fart in a tornado!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 PM
 
1,896 posts, read 452,748 times
Reputation: 2209
Vices and addictions, whether legal or otherwise, are telltale signs of an individual's impulsiveness. This can be drugs, tobacco, alcohol, or even an addiction to expensive caffeine beverages such as Starbucks lattes or energy drinks. The inability to cut these products out of your budget when making room for rent and utilities indicates a spending behavior problem that must be addressed before one can claim that they are indeed struggling.

On the flip side, we have seen expenses of many goods and services rise well above inflation:

- Your cell phone and cable bill now look like a car payment
- Your car payment and health insurance now look like a mortgage payment
- Your mortgage payment now looks like a biweekly paycheck

I've tracked the numbers, average household and per capita income has been slowly increasing while these expenses are out of control and outpacing income.

There are a few things that are important to me, so I pick and choose those things to my preference. For the things that aren't as important, it hurts less to compromise on them.

Pick the right employer - my cellphone is subsidized 50% and employee health contributions are capped at 15% of the total cost of premiums.

I make $88,600 but I just bought a $1600 car with less than 100,000 miles, working a/c, and no body damage. The loan amount I took on my home is 1:1 with my annual income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Thailand
5,207 posts, read 2,486,085 times
Reputation: 9585
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
America is becoming a high COL/low wage country.
Wage data disagrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 PM
 
Location: la la land
28,479 posts, read 12,047,709 times
Reputation: 20129
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Wage data disagrees with you.
Then why don't you show us the wage data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top