Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:06 PM

909 posts, read 545,397 times

Advertisements

The logic is most people don't have any financial intelligence, yet alone financial IQ.
https://apnews.com/1d31cf4b56e449769ab4cb456237ea1f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 02:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Debra Poppelaars of Nashville, Tennessee, underwent spinal fusion surgery last fall and was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly thereafter. Although she is insured, she owes roughly $19,000 for her portion of the medical bills.

Between disability, a job change and the mounting debt, she hasn’t been able to make ends meet and is now facing bankruptcy.

“It’s very hard at 64 years old, I look back and think I am in this position and I should be able to retire,” she said.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Debra Poppelaars of Nashville, Tennessee, underwent spinal fusion surgery last fall and was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly thereafter. Although she is insured, she owes roughly $19,000 for her portion of the medical bills.

Between disability, a job change and the mounting debt, she hasn’t been able to make ends meet and is now facing bankruptcy.

“It’s very hard at 64 years old, I look back and think I am in this position and I should be able to retire,” she said.
An acquaintance of my wife is in a similar situation. Got laid off from decent job, went back to school and got certificate for web design but with that and journalism degree, couldn’t find decent employment...still searching, late 60s. Went to work for Walmart, diagnosed with stage 3a breast cancer, undergoing treatment now and just told landlady she can’t make her rent being off work and starting to pay her share of medical bills.

Life sucks, then you die.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-15-2018 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM

145 posts, read 104,459 times
Hardly surprising, given the state of our healthcare system a medical emergency is more than enough to make a middle-class family struggling to get by.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:

Dang! She didn't have Obamacare?

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...maximum-limit/

Old 08-30-2018, 12:08 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
We believe in freedom. That includes the freedom to do stupid things, freedom to remain ignorant in spite of 12 years of mandatory education, freedom to function at a low level and not strive to succeed in life, freedom to spent money as fast or faster than they can earn it. When people exercise their freedoms to make poor choices with poor consequences, should we feel sorry for them? Should we give up some of our resources to help them? Or should we take away some of their freedoms?

Old 08-30-2018, 12:11 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:

These articles always cherry pick the most sympathetic cases and ignore all the others where people are just stupid or reckless. Or worse, they try to make reckless people into victims.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:32 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
I have noticed (I'm a volunteer first responder) that many people struggle to "pay those basic expenses" the article says they have trouble with:
But they have no problems affording cigarettes.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, people living in only SS (most, but not all through bad choices and a lack of discipline all their lives.)

But most of them.... Get food stamps and "need help" with the power bill, but have cash for weed and tatoos

Old 08-30-2018, 05:54 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
America is becoming a high COL/low wage country.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:00 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
America is bursting at the seams with opportunities. We are incredibly spoiled. My sister studied in Nicaragua for her master's degree and met her husband, a smart, talented engineer and artist. This guy is brilliant. He can build a house, run plumbing to irrigate crops, paint stunning murals, fix Japanese cars with parts designed for American cars, and he speaks three languages. My youngest brother dropped out of college three weeks into the semester and spent the next 5 years of his life bouncing around menial jobs occasionally getting arrested for smoking pot. Finally he got a job delivering and installing jukeboxes and other devices at bars and restaurants.

My brother makes twice my sister's husband's salary, and his benefits are better as well. He has a nicer house, a nicer car, and he is able to live close to family, while my sister's husband has been forced to bounce around central America to find work. My youngest brother is the least prosperous member of my extended family, yet he would be at the very high end of upper middle class in the majority of the hemisphere. My brother spends more money feeding his dogs each month than many of my sister's in-laws spend feeding their whole families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics