U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:18 PM

734 posts, read 219,812 times

Advertisements

NOT the first flip-flop and it won't be the last either. He has given how many versions of his "not knowing anything" stance? the man is just like Nixon, has a seriously dislocated relationship to truth and integrity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 12:22 PM

11,563 posts, read 17,491,775 times
Trump is also proposing a "pay to be based on performance" plan for federal workers. The nerve of him - That he should expect results and adequate performance from federal government employees!

Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
1) "total compensation" is not pay or salary.

2) Government pay scales are not on the high side. How many people need to come forward and say they took a pay cut to get into government service" or they could make more in the private sector" for people to get that?

I agree if any worker anywhere doesn't like their pay they're free to look elsewhere. But that has nothing to do with the mistaken impression that "government pay" is on the high side...which is such a generalization it's meaningless.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Trump is also proposing a "pay to be based on performance" plan for federal workers. The nerve of him - That he should expect results and adequate performance from federal government employees!
You can only do so much with in the government without so much red tape process. I Remember it took them 2 weeks for me to gain access to a closet to flip a light switch on to activate a UPS backup.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:52 PM

4,104 posts, read 3,444,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Nope.. not that i can tell.. If anything my fed tax keeps going up every year, but pay stays the same.

1200, so he manage to save a working person 100 a month in taxes? i call BS

I don't know your income so didn't know which example to pick, but here's an article using 60k.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I don't know your income so didn't know which example to pick, but here's an article using 60k.
Link?

But still 1200 a year is not a tax cut.. its a insult to the working class. pff 1200.. should add extra zero to make a small dent on most working families.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 9,420,097 times
Quote:
You can only do so much with in the government without so much red tape process. I Remember it took them 2 weeks for me to gain access to a closet to flip a light switch on to activate a UPS backup.
2 weeks? That's the speed of The Flash. A former Commissioner of the IRS tells the story of how he wanted his secretary's office to be next to his office, but to do so some existing employees would have to move. They put up a fight, using all their knowledge of the bureaucracy and of civil service. Two years later, the Commissioner's secretary still was nowhere near the Commissioner's office.

Government employees are the worst.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Quote:
Pays for their new yatch and shareholders a new house. When was the last time ANY tax cut benefit the worker?
Federal workers should start taking yacht driving lessons.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:14 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
The problem is if the government doesn't have the employees to do the job, they hire contractors (who end up costing taxpayers more because they charge more). The more people vacate staff positions, the more we are going to rely on private contractors to get the work done.
that depends on the job and who the contractors have paid off for the work.

most of the work doesnt even need to be done. i wonder why trump didnt include the military in this. do we really need so many military personnel?

Old 08-31-2018, 03:47 PM

6,996 posts, read 6,629,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that depends on the job and who the contractors have paid off for the work.

most of the work doesnt even need to be done. i wonder why trump didnt include the military in this. do we really need so many military personnel?
Ratio of contractors to military personnel is 2-to-1 to 3-to-1. Half the budget is outsourced as procurement and operations & maintenance.

Big push to outsource government under Reagan in the early 80's and under Bush Jr. in the 00's.

Some friends of mine immediately received a 100% pay increase when they were outsourced and hired on by contractors. There's a big premium for TS/SCI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics