Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Link?

But still 1200 a year is not a tax cut.. its a insult to the working class. pff 1200.. should add extra zero to make a small dent on most working families.
LOL $1200 to those making close to or over $100K ain't much, but it is to the working poor. $100/month can go to more food, a student loan payment, savings, car payment, etc. More income tax cuts are being worked on anyway to make it permanent.

Quote:
I truly believe we need to cut the dead weight and start expecting more of those living on our tax dollars.
Exactly. Especially with the debt going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...it's the least he can do considering how much more he's getting from the added business to all of his estabalishments based on Secret Service alone! And all he's saving from his family getting free airfaire in half a dozen different directions each weekend. He'd coming out well ahead.
Oh please. You think that other people didn’t make money from former presidents going to their establishments? No president flew family members? And they aren’t family members. They are part of his cabinet. JFK and Hoover donated their checks. So did president Obama. He just didn’t promise to do so but he donated to causes.
You think businesses didn’t profit when president Obama went on vacation? You think he didn’t fly his family around? Way I see it it’s so what. These people have the hardest job in the world full of stress and insanely hard decisions that they make every day. Doesn’t matter who it is. The president of the United States has the toughest job in the world. Actually any civilized world leader does. So if these people wanna fly someone to see them they should. They aren’t like you and me. They can’t just jump in a car or even on a plane fly coach and go see Nana. So President Trump likes going to his establishments.

What difference does it make. The cost is the same weather he goes to Mar-a-lago or the Waldorf Astoria. He still has to go there for whatever reason. And these people are working 24/7. You have the option of not answering your phone or calling in sick or saying no I can’t work this weekend. They dint. Or you’re on vacation he has to cut it short to f some calamity happens. They could be at a funeral burying dear ol family member and some a-hole in some far away part of the world decides to fire off a bomb at a embassy and kill a few Americans he has to put his grieving aside and deal with the a-hole.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:35 AM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Still paying the quarterly estimated tax per accountant's advice. 2018 we had a lot of income changes.
Probably a good idea since the new tax tables have resulted in 30 million people underwithholding
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...489738271.html

Old 09-02-2018, 08:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
LOL $1200 to those making close to or over $100K ain't much, but it is to the working poor. $100/month can go to more food, a student loan payment, savings, car payment, etc. More income tax cuts are being worked on anyway to make it permanent.

Na, its more like 50 bucks after other BS been taking out or its eaten up by increase in COL. Business owners are pretty good about watching wages, if they even think your making a extra 1 dollar, they will jack up their prices to get it from you.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
In the past 12 months wage increases didn't even cover the increase in inflation. So much winning

Old 09-02-2018, 09:28 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Probably a good idea since the new tax tables have resulted in 30 million people underwithholding
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...489738271.html
that is not a good number going into the 2020 elections. The working electorate will be mightily pissed in 2019 when they will have to pay income taxes beyond their payroll withholding. Trump is of course going to blame the IRS but that won't solve the problem other than higher W-2 withholding for the remainder of 2019.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
that is not a good number going into the 2020 elections. The working electorate will be mightily pissed in 2019 when they will have to pay income taxes beyond their payroll withholding. Trump is of course going to blame the IRS but that won't solve the problem other than higher W-2 withholding for the remainder of 2019.
I agree, it's not going to go over with people who have to take out loans to send the IRS a check in April.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I retired from the federal government a year ago, last May. My work knew I was retiring, including the month, a year in advance. They had a list of things they wanted me to complete prior to retiring and I did complete the list, all of it. After I retired they begged me to come back as a contractor to do whatever I wanted to do on another list they had--years worth of work.

But I wanted to be retired. I eventually did agree to do ONE project that is near and dear to me. They constantly want to expand my list to more projects. There are only two federal employees that can do what I do, and the other one is not as good or fast at it and totally swamped...and nearing retirement too. Plus I have a much higher security clearance.

I get 4 times my government salary as an independent contractor. The company bills at a rate higher than what I get, but I have no idea, nor do I care what they bill. I get, in my paycheck, 4 times my salary! That is what they offered, I did not even ask for it, they offered! My only interaction with the company is I e-mail how many hours I worked and they mail me a check. I work when I want and at home. This project should end within a month, then I won't work My goal--to not work in retirement.

I can definitely say that the scientific staff is significantly underpaid. At least 4 times in my case.

I agree that the clerks, secretaries, and maintenance staff is well over paid.

BUT I think that a big problem is the supervisor/management to worker ratio is way off. At one point GORE restructured government and I believe it was a one to 13 ratio for management/supervisor to worker. But as time has gone on that has changed and there are way too many supervisors who supervise one or two people and managers who manage NOTHING...but were moved to a hole so they can not stir up sh*t. They should be fired--major high level, politicly connected managers need to be sent on to other opportunities outside the federal service That will never happen!

There is also a lot of BS in the manager's constant meetings and training. One manager I worked with went to Disneyworld, with his family to learn how they manage people. Yes, Disneyworld does have a training seminar on that, but really, the taxpayers pay someone $140k and they need to go to Disneyworld to learn how to manage people? I think that was a very expensive scam-vacation! Plus he took his family, kind of tells the real objective of the 'training'.

Had another $140k manager go on a 2 week LLAMA quest to learn how to manage people. She came back and kept comparing employees to llamas! Saying things like 'you have to encourage them or they will spit in your face!' REALLY???!!! Maybe you should tell they their job and fire them if they can not perform! And her aid/helper is the one we did not encourage when she sat her bare **** on the photocopy machine and copied herself. Yep, you guessed it the copy machine jammed and she walked away. When it was cleared, WOW! a poor employee was shocked at 50 photos of the clerks/aids private area printing over and over. And then we did not encourage her--she was told to sanitize the copy machine and pay for the wasted copies. But we did not go to llama class:0 Guess we did not know better:0

Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
I'm a retired fed, for 11 years so far, , as long as they keep direct depositing my $9000 monthly pension check in my bank, I'm not complaining.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
I know someone who claims he's going to have 200K in pensions. Back in the 90's, his wife asked me to petition his congressman to save his job. I found out he had bad reviews throughout his career. I refused. They eventually transferred him off to a new job when DHS started. In some jobs, all that matters is they have a warm body to use up the budget or bill the client. I worked on another contract where outside contractors were sleeping in RVs in the parking lot so they could bill 100 hours a week. They didn't get reprimanded but they started laying off others as it was far over budget. I disliked working on government projects but took them when things were slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics