U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
It's more to do that their type of expenses the inflation is relatively under control (healthcare, long-term care, etc..) while their income streams (social security, medicare) are relatively protected as has been the stock market.

All of those factors would help bolster the confidence amongst that demographic.

On the younger demographic you're seeing skyrocketing housing costs (rental & ownership) cost of tuition and long-term instability amongst job prospects and wage growth.
I could also be that there are more GOP voters in that demographic and thus they view Trump as a positive force and the changing conservative nature to be more in their favor

How they can think that with the GOP trying to cut back on health care and SS and other aspects of a safety net including the tax on Medicare is something I can't fathom
To me health care costs are a threat to everyone--not just seniors but they do use healthcare more than other demographics I think
And they are facing dementia risk and likely have no long term care insurance

So unless they are wealthy with resources that allow them to bolster their SS and pensions if they are lucky enough to have them to cover rising costs like in insurance---then I don't know why they are so optimistic...

I am 70, have 7 figure wealth/assets and I don't think this is a future to look forward to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 AM

8,285 posts, read 3,454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I could also be that there are more GOP voters in that demographic and thus they view Trump as a positive force and the changing conservative nature to be more in their favor

How they can think that with the GOP trying to cut back on health care and SS and other aspects of a safety net including the tax on Medicare is something I can't fathom
To me health care costs are a threat to everyone--not just seniors but they do use healthcare more than other demographics I think
And they are facing dementia risk and likely have no long term care insurance

So unless they are wealthy with resources that allow them to bolster their SS and pensions if they are lucky enough to have them to cover rising costs like in insurance---then I don't know why they are so optimistic...

I am 70, have 7 figure wealth/assets and I don't think this is a future to look forward to
We seniors of course have much more HC related uncertainty. Few I know even with the means carry long term care insurance. Like you say a big deal for most. If you're rich you're covered. If you're poor you use Medicaid. If your state participates. I would wonder how many will use this fact in their own retirement plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or