U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 35,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yeah, he should shop around. I have AAA and my insurance for 3 cars and 2 drivers is 60 a month and he is the same age as me and the hubs. Even when I had full coverage on the last car it was only an extra 20 a month. I live in MN though so I don't know what they'd charge me in CA.
We live in Mass and we pay $1100 a year for 1 Honda Pilot. Both in our 60's with spotless driving records. I would love 60 a month. It really depends on where you live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 AM

5,253 posts, read 1,674,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
We live in Mass and we pay $1100 a year for 1 Honda Pilot. Both in our 60's with spotless driving records. I would love 60 a month. It really depends on where you live.
Whoa! Thank you. I had no idea the insurance varied that much. The hubbs and I are thinking of relocating after retirement. If my car insurance doubled moving to another place it wouldn't be a deal breaker but I'd hate to find that information out after the fact.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM

203 posts, read 104,976 times
I would fix the accent depending on how many miles are on it. 2008 isn't that old, those are pretty reliable engines too. If you have under 150k on it, I would just fix the accent. Once you have the new clutch you're good to go for a long time, if you do fail emissions for any reason, a new cat is pretty cheap for those cars. If you can pass inspection with the oil leak and it's not spewing all over your belts, I'd just keep topping the car off as needed. Most likely it's the valve cover gasket, if you are feeling adventurous, those little 4 bangers are pretty easy to work on, lots of DIY youtube videos.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,201,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I would fix the accent depending on how many miles are on it. 2008 isn't that old, those are pretty reliable engines too. If you have under 150k on it, I would just fix the accent. Once you have the new clutch you're good to go for a long time, if you do fail emissions for any reason, a new cat is pretty cheap for those cars. If you can pass inspection with the oil leak and it's not spewing all over your belts, I'd just keep topping the car off as needed. Most likely it's the valve cover gasket, if you are feeling adventurous, those little 4 bangers are pretty easy to work on, lots of DIY youtube videos.

Every single post on here are very good posts. However i like this idea the best.

How much money do you have in your savings, op? I would bite the bullet and fix that car. And instead of taking out a loan for 5 years for 200 a month, why not fix your current car and save 200 a month ina separate bank account. And come 2023, why not buy a new car with cash. (I would recommend a used car but its your money) While you have your Hyundai, youre saving money on insurance and not having payments.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:41 PM

16,491 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
Wow thanks for all of the help and replies and advice before I read all of these messages I was thinking of just trying to fix my 2008 Hyundai Accent clutch and a couple tires because my car insurance was $76 for good liability insurance now I called up and it would be $170 plus the two 10 or 220 car payment I'm looking at $400 just to drive a car to work and then I got a $5 Bridge toll it's costing like $600 just to drive to work I'm not used to this kind of stuff

I remember buying a car for $800 in it Last 5 Years or buy a car for $3,000 and it will last 10 years those are hard to find these days

Anyway I think I'm going to get this Chevy Spark and pay it off as quick as I can so I can drop my full coverage insurance

it sucks I spend a long time getting out of tat and then my car takes a dump on me I wanted to do a repair on my bathroom and maybe build a shed in the backyard
So youíre looking at maybe 4/5 months worth of payments to fix your car. A lot cheaper to fix it if all you need is a clutch and two tires. I would get some quotes on the clutch work. Once you get the quotes (I would hit up independent shops) ask if they have or give cash discounts.

I drive a Kia Optima to work. Bought it for 3,000 (purchase price was 2600, AC repair was $200, registration was $200. Drove 24,000 miles since January. I had to put some shocks on it and finally bought some tires. That was about $750 bucks but I expect 50/60k out of the tires and 100/120,000 out of the shocks.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM

973 posts, read 352,589 times
Quote:
Hello everyone my car took a dump I don't want to dump any money into the car I want to buy a new car what do you guys think

The car is a brand new 2018 Chevy Spark manual transmission roll up Windows no power door locks basically Bare Bones

The price is $9,995 plus tax and license which will come out to about 11,400

I'm going to put $1,000 down and my car payment will be around $210 for 5 years

Insurance will be $160 is a month I live in a high risk area I think

I am a janitor at an elementary school with a 60 mile round-trip commute I need reliable transportation

here in California it's getting hard to find reliable cars for 1 to $2,000 anymore especially with the new smog requirements every two years

That's I have a $600 mortgage with no other credit card bills or debt my property tax is around 1700 a year

I know I'm not supposed to have a car payment but what it is the community think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What exactly went wrong with your car? Can you get it fixed cheaply? Then sell it. This gives you more money to put down. I would look for a base model vehicle that has the longest bumper to b7mper and power train warranty you can find. The holidays are coming up so there will be deals.

A 60 mile drive is a real bad thing for you in more ways that one. Then there is more cost to owning a car than the payment and insurance. Consider moving closer and see if public transportation is available there. Move the job or move you.

some good advice in the other quoted post.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 PM

322 posts, read 330,150 times
Yeah, that's a long way to drive to be a janitor at an elementary school.

If there are good reasons like better pay or a better type of kids to clean up after I guess I could understand, otherwise why not find a similar job at a similar school that's like 10 minutes away?

Old 09-22-2018, 05:25 PM

16,491 posts, read 17,513,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
A 60 mile drive is a real bad thing for you in more ways that one. Then there is more cost to owning a car than the payment and insurance. Consider moving closer and see if public transportation is available there. Move the job or move you.

some good advice in the other quoted post.
Not everyone has that option. I drive 60 miles one way to work every day. Public transportation isnít gonna get me there. I get paid really well, great benefits and retirement. I canít just move closer. It would cost me thousands more to move closer in selling and buying for the short term and higher payments and higher taxes in the long term.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM

7,187 posts, read 4,636,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Get it and don't sweat it or regret it.
I agree go for it, you deserve it.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:48 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,199,643 times
Quote:
Hello everyone my car took a dump I don't want to dump any money into the car I want to buy a new car what do you guys think

The car is a brand new 2018 Chevy Spark manual transmission roll up Windows no power door locks basically Bare Bones

The price is $9,995 plus tax and license which will come out to about 11,400

I'm going to put $1,000 down and my car payment will be around $210 for 5 years

Insurance will be $160 is a month I live in a high risk area I think

I am a janitor at an elementary school with a 60 mile round-trip commute I need reliable transportation

here in California it's getting hard to find reliable cars for 1 to $2,000 anymore especially with the new smog requirements every two years

That's I have a $600 mortgage with no other credit card bills or debt my property tax is around 1700 a year

I know I'm not supposed to have a car payment but what it is the community think
You ask us if you can afford it but don’t give us much on your financial situation, even your annual income is unstated. The answer is “I don’t know”. That said, generally if repair bills are draining your savings, your cash flow is fairly tight and I don’t think financing a car is a good idea unless you find a way to either cut back your other expenses or increase your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or