U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:45 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
I'm not sure what a Chevy Spark is like to drive but I think you would be better off buying a 1 year old Honda or Toyota. Much more reliable and more comfortable to drive. We drive a Honda Pilot that we bought with around 35,000 miles and it now has 175,000 miles and has been great and we saved thousands buying it. Most Honda's and Toyota's will go 200,000 miles if taken care of. I am not sure your Chevy will. Good luck with whatever you do.
I second the motion.
Buy whatever Honda civic you can buy for the $11k youre going to spend.

Hondas are known to go easily 200++ k miles before giving up.

The spark is made by Daewoo, an as yet unproven Korean car manufacturer.
I/ we own a Korean Kia and a Korean Hyundai. Ill never buy one of either again.
My 2006 kia Sedona is now at 12 years old and 106k miles costing me about $150/month to repair, averaged out. Im not including regular maintenance, either that adds to the cost.
The hyundai 2014 fairs better as supposedly they improved their vehicles, but at 60k, the a/c is toast. Had we not bought an extra warranty itd be done for. My oh drives more than i do.

I should have bought another dodge grand caravan, instead of the sedona.

So look into Honda's before you buy the spark.
You drive 60 miles, youll rack up 100k quickly, and the chevy Aveo s are no longer on the road from just a few years ago. They were the cheap new cars of not to long ago for chevy.

Look and buy carefully.
My next minivan will be a honda odyssey. Im sure i won't regret it.

Best of luck in your decision.

EDIT: sorry late to the thread. I see you bought it. Damn.

I certainly hope you don't regret that car decision.

Cheap is as cheap does.
Well good good luck.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 09-25-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 AM

3,966 posts, read 1,593,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's a reasonable choice for transportation but an 8% interest rate is too much. If you do it I would try and pay it off as soon as you can.
This. Make sure you can pay it off early. Some loans penalize you for that. In truth, do one odd job a week such as mowing a lawn or repairing something, and you can pay that off in a couple of years.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 AM

24,723 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countonme View Post
40 k
I think you can afford it, but I'd definitely do everything possible to pay it off early.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:14 AM

24,723 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
A 60 mile drive is a real bad thing for you in more ways that one. Then there is more cost to owning a car than the payment and insurance. Consider moving closer and see if public transportation is available there. Move the job or move you.
I think this is really the more important issue. 30 miles one way for a janitor job....so much of your money is going to car payments and maintenance even after the car is paid off.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-02-2018 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM

80 posts, read 196,469 times
I like I like my job as a custodian at an elementary school I'm a California School employee they pay 100% of my medical I have a pension plan I'm 53 years old it's a easy job for me to do it don't really expect much my bills are very low and this is my second job in my entire life and I've been working since I was 22

Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM

80 posts, read 196,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this is really the more important issue. 30 miles one way for a janitor job....so much of your money is going to car payments and maintenance even after the car is paid off.
I like my job as a custodian at an elementary school I work in the evening I work by myself there's not that many teachers my principal is nice and the students leave 2 hours after I get there they don't ask for very much work and they pay 100% of my medical and I have a pension plan with tons of sick days and lots of vacation

Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,887,555 times
First off I'm shocked that you can even still buy a brand new car for under $10k in 2018. Secondly, if you need reliable transportation, which it seems you do given the fairly long commute, then you made a decent choice given you'll have warranty that should cover you for a while. That gives you piece of mind also, which is priceless. Given your income and low expenses and lack of debt I think it's fine to pay what you did for the car.

You seem to have made some smart choices overall so far: buying a house in that area before everything went crazy, having a job with a guaranteed pension, good benefits, having no debt (aside from a minimal car payment), etc. You'll be fine. If I were you I'd cash out of that substantial amount of equity you have in your home eventually and retire somewhere much cheaper like AZ or something and buy a house outright and put the rest in low risk investments that you can draw a minimal amount from annually to supplement your pension and SS once that kicks in. You'll be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or