U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM

7,068 posts, read 10,821,088 times

Advertisements

Why would you go into a field where you are not happy with or can't afford to live on the salary?

Makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Time, from what I can discern, has always been a propaganda rag, conning the American People into believing whatever narrative the current reigning orthodox wanted it to push. I don't click on their website.

So, could someone offer a synopsis of the story, so that I don't have to give those longtime lie-mongers any ad traffic money? One reason I get my news from City-Data, is that it offers an alternative to supporting the MSM.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,344,078 times
The Kentucky teacher actually has one child and has to buy school supplies herself. Likely has med bills.

The guy lives in NYC which is why his cost of living is so high. I still hate to hear someone boohooing if their salary is six figs.
And if you work in NYC can't you live in the outlying areas that cost less?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:52 PM

11,042 posts, read 11,455,634 times
First year teachers in Oregon qualify for food stamps. If they stick with the same job for a decade or more, they make a living wage. It's part of the strategy to keep teachers from job shopping.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
teachers are one of those protected jobs where they can always whine about not being paid enough and plenty of people defend them.
Good. Everyone should have the right to ask for a working wage, especially when their job requires higher education and dealing with issues most people can't imagine.

And like the others have said, whether or not they earn "too much" really depends on the local COL. I'm in the Bay Area, where a $50,000 salary would literally qualify you for low-income housing and energy credits... so here, no, it's definitely NOT too much for a professional job. I'd say $100K is plenty, though, considering I make a bit less than that doing something that requires an even higher level of education (and typically pays more than teaching).

Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Time, from what I can discern, has always been a propaganda rag, conning the American People into believing whatever narrative the current reigning orthodox wanted it to push. I don't click on their website.

So, could someone offer a synopsis of the story, so that I don't have to give those longtime lie-mongers any ad traffic money? One reason I get my news from City-Data, is that it offers an alternative to supporting the MSM.
If you're too biased and paranoid to read TIME Magazine of all things, then we shouldn't have to summarize for you... find your own right-wing source, but of course they'll say (retired) teachers are making $500K pensions.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Why would you go into a field where you are not happy with or can't afford to live on the salary?

Makes no sense to me.
Because they wanted to make a difference, and/or it was their calling? Not everyone goes into a field for the money, but at some point it's hard to ignore being underpaid. And you know what makes no sense to ME? Not wanting the profession to pay enough to attract the best "talent," when they're the ones shaping and educating our future generations. I mean, we're not talking about burger flippers here - we are talking about one of the most crucial jobs in a civilized society. Think beyond your own noses.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The Kentucky teacher actually has one child and has to buy school supplies herself. Likely has med bills.

The guy lives in NYC which is why his cost of living is so high. I still hate to hear someone boohooing if their salary is six figs.
And if you work in NYC can't you live in the outlying areas that cost less?
Affordable areas close to NYC? Nope. Nothing you'd want to drive or take public transportation every day. I'm formerly from the Bronx and moved to the Poconos, PA. I still work in the Bronx, good day 3 hours each way in a car to go 112 miles.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Affordable areas close to NYC? Nope. Nothing you'd want to drive or take public transportation every day. I'm formerly from the Bronx and moved to the Poconos, PA. I still work in the Bronx, good day 3 hours each way in a car to go 112 miles.
We have the same (possibly even worse) issue here in the Bay Area... the closest "affordable" city from San Francisco is probably Sacramento - maybe Vallejo - and from San Jose it's like Los Banos or Modesto. One of my colleagues commutes from Los Banos to our workplace north of SJ, and it takes him almost 2 hours each way WITHOUT traffic. No thanks!

Old 09-27-2018, 02:25 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
One of the teachers profiled is being paid over $100,000 per year. Is that really not enough? Even with a rent and a kid that might be enough.

The teacher shown on the cover is paid about $51,000 per year and has to work two other jobs. I think she has med bills and kids. Am I being silly in saying she shouldn't complain if her salary is that much?
The real issue? Adjusted for inflation, the amount of money we spend per student has doubled over the past 30 years. Yet teacher's salaries pretty much have remained at the same level.

Which begs the question. What has the education establishment done with all that extra funding? Because it certainly isn't going to the people who do the actual teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or