U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:32 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,161,584 times

Advertisements

When I went to "Land Grant U" way back when, the folks who were education majors had the lowest incoming test scores. Is this still true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 AM

12,672 posts, read 9,425,981 times
The polite term for this type of so-called journalism is B.S.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,426,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
When I went to "Land Grant U" way back when, the folks who were education majors had the lowest incoming test scores. Is this still true?
When I was in college in 2002-2006 my roommate had to take the ACT several times while still in college because I think you had to have like a 21 or 22 to get your teaching certification. Not saying all of them are like that, but yeah the barrier to entry is pretty low, although I've taught kindergarten summer school and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, lol. Definitely not my thing. "What do you mean you don't know your address...you just told it to me 5 minutes ago!!"

I read the article..it profiles some teachers in Kentucky making $68k/yr saying it isn't enough then compares the median or mean (can't remember) income of teachers across the country to nurses and shows a $27k/yr difference. But doesn't mention the fact that one works 9 months of the year and another works 12 months of the year. If you actually re-calculate what a nurse would make on a 9 month salary the difference is only about $8k/yr.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:14 AM

321 posts, read 201,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Why would you go into a field where you are not happy with or can't afford to live on the salary?

Makes no sense to me.
We, that is all of us, always anticipate the optimistic, that things are not what they seem, that things will get better, so on. As a teacher, I began with the mindset that although I wasn't going to be paid much, (16K to start in 1990), but in time I would make much more, live a comfortable life, and of course, "make a difference". As I matured in age/wisdom, I realized that my salary was not commensurate with the duties/responsibilities I performed, nor with my colleagues in the private sector.

Thus, an experienced teacher, has the right, to whine. Really, after 28 years raising YOUR kids, I should be paid a bit more than 55K. And yes, I've worked 2 jobs since I began this so called career.

My advice to new teachers, or those that consider teaching...DON'T. It's a service industry now. They pay a fair amount to begin with, may pay for your masters, pay off your student loans, some districts that is. You get into the profession with high hopes, yet the constant drone of the job, lack of respect, no support, you get beat down. Oh yes, summers off, and all the breaks, you teachers have it easy, it's called sanity break. A year or two go by, maybe 3 or 4, and you discover that you just can't do it anymore. Oh well, it's early in your work life, please do something else, get paid more, etc.

The district will almost be pleased, now, the can just hire someone else, churn them up and spit them out. There is no "training" involved. You put in your free semester of student teaching, so no loss to district. Just like Burger King. Work work work till you quit and then we just fill your spot. Teaching is the new service industry, just like fast food.

Now, as a teacher of 28 years, making 55K, I make only 15K over a starting teacher. I should have changed careers long ago, but once you put your years in, the retirement plan, the hope of a raise, the hope for a change of the better.

I don't whine, I *****. But you/America will reap it's reward...our new batch of students and future leaders are perhaps the dumbest group to ever exist, Millenialls. It's not all our fault, but really, the US seems to think our job is easy, we are over paid, that anyone can do it, maybe we are reflecting your attitude, and just really don't care anymore.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Why is someone's salary any concern to you? Are you in that class of people who believe they have a "say" in all public salaries simply because you pay taxes, and salaries come out of that public base? I spent the entirety of my working life paying attention to MY salary, and that worked pretty well for me, so, yes, it is being silly to spend any time worrying about what others earn..
"Simply because we pay taxes"? It's coming directly from our pockets to theirs, so YES, their salary/benefits if overcompensated does concern me. Our Kindergarten teachers here even make over $130k. It's all public information. And it directly affects us having to pay the $9.5k in school taxes alone WITH REAL MONEY every year. So ask me again why I shouldn't be concerned.

Oh yeah, we also pay $6k in general taxes too... cops' $150k+ salaries are in there. Sanitation workers' $100k+. Pensions are huge.

But no... why should we care at all...?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:30 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
One of the teachers profiled is being paid over $100,000 per year. Is that really not enough? Even with a rent and a kid that might be enough.

The teacher shown on the cover is paid about $51,000 per year and has to work two other jobs. I think she has med bills and kids. Am I being silly in saying she shouldn't complain if her salary is that much?
OK, quit. Go into sales or financial products and make as much money as you want. Life is all about choices.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:33 AM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
No matter where you live, if you are a teacher making 100K, you are living high on the hog.
This is patently false. Where I live in NYC, someone making $100k while making very smart financial decisions will certainly get by, but they won't be living "high on the hog" by any means unless they live with family or roommates, and that's considering a single person with no kids.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Textbooks are a myth, too.

The only discipline that requires textbooks is literature. English grammar, English composition, history, government, math, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, chemistry, physics and biological and earth or natural sciences do not require textbooks to teach.

If, as a teacher, your lack of knowledge in your discipline is so poor that you cannot develop your own curriculum, prepare your own lesson plans, and develop material for students, then you need to seriously consider giving your teaching degree back.
Can you name a school district where the teachers are not required to use an approved textbook for the various disciplines you mention, yet do use them due to laziness and/or to make up for a lack of qualifications?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-28-2018, 12:26 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can you name a school district where the teachers are not required to use an approved textbook for the various disciplines you mention, yet do use them due to laziness and/or to make up for a lack of qualifications?
The sex Ed teacher at 5th and grand...

Part of my issue with the textbook teaching is that it seems like we are becoming like the Chinese system, rote memorization. Back then it was argued why the Chinese system needs to move outside that box and they are slowly doing it. The US with no child left behind is moving in the opposite direction. We teach kids how to do homework so they pass the test. Not teach them how to apply the material if it isn't on the test

Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM

I don’t disagree with you, but that’s not the teahers’ fault. Textbook usage is decided way above their heads. They’re barely allowed to develop a curriculum at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or