U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 03:42 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I guess most people still don't get it that teachers pay into their pensions! I don't know whether retired police or firemen do, but teachers do. Every month $880 was taken out of my teacher's check and that went to my retirement. I sure could have used that money and invested it myself, but that was not (and is not) an option for any teacher in California.
Wow a whole $880...remember the state also contributes a much larger portion, you didn't buy your pension with that $880. Reality for most is contributing $18,000 a year to 401k plus another $5500 to your IRA and that doesn't even get you a guaranteed pension. We spend far more of our income on our retirement. Plus we have to buy medical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:44 PM

10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Quote:
Sorry, this is simply untrue! Do you live in California? Where I worked as a teacher, the cheapest home you could possibly get was $850,000 and that's for a 400 sq foot tiny house on wheels. Gas was $4.00 a gallon, and utilities and electricity are four times what they are in other states. Oh, and my property taxes were $10,500 a year and my house was a 1600 sq foot tract house.

I was a teacher who made 100K and I never lived high on the hog, nor did any of my colleagues. Come to California and see how little a hundred grand takes you.
There are many affordable places in CA to live. You weren't in the military, no one was forcing you to live in a high COL area.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM

8,960 posts, read 3,114,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Why is someone's salary any concern to you? Are you in that class of people who believe they have a "say" in all public salaries simply because you pay taxes, and salaries come out of that public base? I spent the entirety of my working life paying attention to MY salary, and that worked pretty well for me, so, yes, it is being silly to spend any time worrying about what others earn..
Anyone who feeds at the public trough - is my concern as a tax payer. Especially when it's an occupation with 3 months off each year, and good benefits.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:24 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,835,102 times
Quote:
Sorry, this is simply untrue! Do you live in California? Where I worked as a teacher, the cheapest home you could possibly get was $850,000 and that's for a 400 sq foot tiny house on wheels. Gas was $4.00 a gallon, and utilities and electricity are four times what they are in other states. Oh, and my property taxes were $10,500 a year and my house was a 1600 sq foot tract house.

I was a teacher who made 100K and I never lived high on the hog, nor did any of my colleagues. Come to California and see how little a hundred grand takes you.
A hundred grand for a teacher in our area is at the top of the salary step ladder and typically one with 20+ years experience. Mind you I'm in the SF Bay Area where very ordinary homes go for $1mllion+.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
First year teachers in Oregon qualify for food stamps. If they stick with the same job for a decade or more, they make a living wage. It's part of the strategy to keep teachers from job shopping.
I only looked for about a minute but couldn't find anything that supports your claim.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, yes I do. In fact, I think our country would have a much brighter future if teachers were paid MORE than engineers and corporate big-wigs. Next question?

(but I guess our priorities are different)

That's probably the craziest post I've ever read on CD and that is really saying something.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:40 PM

913 posts, read 735,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Anyone who feeds at the public trough - is my concern as a tax payer. Especially when it's an occupation with 3 months off each year, and good benefits.

Have you ever attended any school board meetings and voiced your concerns, do you know when and where your local school board meets?

Old 10-04-2018, 11:45 PM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
One of the teachers profiled is being paid over $100,000 per year. Is that really not enough? Even with a rent and a kid that might be enough.

The teacher shown on the cover is paid about $51,000 per year and has to work two other jobs. I think she has med bills and kids. Am I being silly in saying she shouldn't complain if her salary is that much?
I don't think 51k is that bad with the time off and pension benefits they get. No, it's not lifestyles of the rich & famous, but that's true of most jobs.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
No matter where you live, if you are a teacher making 100K, you are living high on the hog.
100k in the SF Bay Area really isn't high on the hog. I live here and I make less than that, but I have a rent controlled apartment and a landlord who's raised the rent less than the full amount they could have. I recognize not everyone has it as good as I do. At the same time, 100k certainly isn't poverty, either. And lots of other people in this area have to make major sacrifices in their housing to live here--so that isn't unique to teachers.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I'd think that with all the corruption in government contracting circles, we'd all be better of "pushing back" where it really matters.
A valid point. But I'm not sure it has to be an either/or.

Quote:
The salaries of public school teachers has become a political football of sorts, essentially the whipping boy of the government hating anti tax crowd, and just another sideshow of nonsensical wowser distractions. Meanwhile the likes of Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and other public feeding trough gluttons rob us blind. Political distractions don't just pop up as legitimate concerns, no, they are carefully orchestrated for effect, in this case it gives the citizen a "face" to hate.Let's at least try to find some common ground with regard to how we will fry the biggest fish first..
Ok, this is where you go a little off the deep end. Are there not quite a few on the political left who seem to always think more spending on pretty much everything (except military spending) is the solution to pretty much everything? Quite a few of them are journalists in various mainstream media outlets as well as academia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or