U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM

22,680 posts, read 28,576,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We'd have to start a long ways back in the chain of events. Very short form, you getting a car for $1000 less than the next guy does not in any way mean you got a good deal.
so what is your definition of a good deal on a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so what is your definition of a good deal on a car?
Quite honestly, there isn't room here and it would be both a 90-degree turn in the topic and a major thread hijack. It's not a simple equation of X dollars or whatever; it's about restructuring a colossally corrupt system to allow fair purchasing.

Just think quietly about it for one full minute: what other consumer good is sold with the universal expectation that it's going to be an extended arm-wrestle loaded with traps for the unwary buyer? Where being goaded into spending too much can financially break an individual or family, sometimes permanently? Where there are a million regulations but deception, sleight of hand and multi-person con games are an ingrained part of the process?

Even home-buying rarely descends to such depths except in things like time-shares and vacation condos.

So it's hard to define a "good deal" when a win is defined as getting away with most of your rear intact.

(But I'd be happy to keep this up in a thread aimed at that topic.)

Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Quite honestly, there isn't room here and it would be both a 90-degree turn in the topic and a major thread hijack. It's not a simple equation of X dollars or whatever; it's about restructuring a colossally corrupt system to allow fair purchasing.

Just think quietly about it for one full minute: what other consumer good is sold with the universal expectation that it's going to be an extended arm-wrestle loaded with traps for the unwary buyer? Where being goaded into spending too much can financially break an individual or family, sometimes permanently? Where there are a million regulations but deception, sleight of hand and multi-person con games are an ingrained part of the process?

Even home-buying rarely descends to such depths except in things like time-shares and vacation condos.

So it's hard to define a "good deal" when a win is defined as getting away with most of your rear intact.

(But I'd be happy to keep this up in a thread aimed at that topic.)
so instead of answering my question, you go into some crazy "just think about it . . . " rant. you also were evasive when i asked a few posts back why nobody gets a good deal and asked about their margins (responded with "just because someone is paying less than you doesnt mean you are getting a good deal." clearly not responsive to my question.

this is a place where people are supposed to give more concrete answers than their own personal lunacy. you should post your auto purchase opinions in the politics area or some place where people just want to say bs.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
so instead of answering my question, you go into some crazy "just think about it . . . " rant. you also were evasive when i asked a few posts back why nobody gets a good deal and asked about their margins (responded with "just because someone is paying less than you doesnt mean you are getting a good deal." clearly not responsive to my question.

this is a place where people are supposed to give more concrete answers than their own personal lunacy. you should post your auto purchase opinions in the politics area or some place where people just want to say bs.
Okay... forty-six cents. Happy now? You're right, there's always a simple answer.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Okay... forty-six cents. Happy now? You're right, there's always a simple answer.
there is no rational person that believes that you are responding appropriately. im not asking you for a specific dollar amount. you keep saying how you cant good a good deal and i am just asking what you would consider to be a good deal. its not that difficult to answer like a normal person. but that isnt what you are, is it (at least when discussing buying cars).

Old 10-01-2018, 01:04 PM

17,626 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Quote:
there is no rational person that believes that you are responding appropriately. im not asking you for a specific dollar amount. you keep saying how you cant good a good deal and i am just asking what you would consider to be a good deal. its not that difficult to answer like a normal person. but that isnt what you are, is it (at least when discussing buying cars).
It feels a bit like you are getting trolled

Old 10-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You want a simple answer. There isn't one. I said that a couple of posts back - that the real answer lies at the end of a completely different understanding of the industry and its process.

But you're still insisting on an answer that fits your preconceived notions - somehow, there's one amount or percentage or margin or whatever that I "must mean" here. Something "normal" by your view.

There isn't one. Sorry. Re-read my post #42, and decide if you really want an answer, or if you're just trying to pin me down to, say, "3% above cost or death!" so you can argue it. Unfortunately, that will involve your "thinking about it" which you have already strenuously objected to.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You want a simple answer. There isn't one. I said that a couple of posts back - that the real answer lies at the end of a completely different understanding of the industry and its process.

But you're still insisting on an answer that fits your preconceived notions - somehow, there's one amount or percentage or margin or whatever that I "must mean" here. Something "normal" by your view.

There isn't one. Sorry. Re-read my post #42, and decide if you really want an answer, or if you're just trying to pin me down to, say, "3% above cost or death!" so you can argue it. Unfortunately, that will involve your "thinking about it" which you have already strenuously objected to.
a car is still a product with a certain cost to make and you are going to end up paying a certain price. its not nearly as complicated as you want to pretend it is.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It feels a bit like you are getting trolled
i think he is a bit out of his mind. i cant say that i have noticed his previous posts but i am guessing that they are similarly irrational. he belongs on the politics forums, not the economics forums.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
a car is still a product with a certain cost to make and you are going to end up paying a certain price. its not nearly as complicated as you want to pretend it is.
Okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or