U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they either say edit or delete . like he realizes that whatever chart or picture he posted made no sense
My charts are always on point. I could post a really really scary one if you want. I've been holding out.

I delete my posts because they are echoless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:04 PM

64,577 posts, read 66,100,109 times
yeah we know lol

Old 09-27-2018, 04:15 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yeah we know lol
If people ignore official numbers, then what is the point?

The report released by your own government is just a silly chart?

So what's the point...

Ima change my strategy up a bit.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM

64,577 posts, read 66,100,109 times
The first mistake is believing or even trying to relate some of the government charts and figures to life

Old 09-27-2018, 05:31 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,906,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The huge deficit stimulus package has resulted in very low unemployment and very high business profits.

As far as I know, this is the first time the feds have ever unleashed a massive stimulus package during a solid economic recovery. Should we have done this before? Do you like it? Do you think it's going to run the economy into total ruin?

What do you think?
If you're asking about the last tax cut:

It was timed and executed poorly. The country should be working towards reducing the deficit during this time of economic growth. On top of that, the tax burden on high earners was not out of line.

Poor economics all around.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
what package? am i getting another tax check that i have repay back in?
I'm with him. What stimulus package? What did I miss?

Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
If you're asking about the last tax cut:

It was timed and executed poorly. The country should be working towards reducing the deficit during this time of economic growth. On top of that, the tax burden on high earners was not out of line.

Poor economics all around.
I was asking about the trillion dollars a year in deficit spending. The tax cut is not relevant, it's the deficit spending that stimulates the economy.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:41 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It's not called a deficit stimulus package. It's simply a tax cut combined with regulatory reforms to make it easier to start and grow a business.

It's certainly working, if that's the goal. Business confidence is through the roof, employment is the highest it's ever been, economic activity is white hot.

The main thing holding back the economy right now is a lack of qualified people. Manufacturers all over the heartland report that around 50% of job applicants can't pass a drug test. That means, they're too stupid to go clean for 90 days before applying for a job. It's pathetic, and alarming, that our work force is this decrepit. Also, the birth rate is crashing. In my opinion, the only solution is to let in more immigrants, of the legal variety.

Now regarding the deficit -- yes, it's going to be high. An embarrassment to Trump, after criticizing Obama's massive deficits. He didn't want to sign the budget deal, but had to, in order to get his tax cuts and military increases passed. That's the way things work in D.C., and he's gradually learning the ropes. Next time, he may opt to veto any new spending until they agree to cut budgets.

The last few quarters, though, there have been record tax receipts despite the tax cuts. So that's probably a sign that we can balance the budget. He's been focused on other issues, but in the long run... he has to cut spending.

I suspect that the Trump Administration will end up much like the Reagan Administration -- incurred some massive deficits up front, but laid the groundwork for future prosperity. Reagan created the conditions for the 90s prosperity, and Trump is creating the groundwork for massive economic growth in the 2020s and beyond.
I have doubts that Reagan is comparable. He was dealing with the deepest recession since the Great Depression, caused by the Federal Reserve dealing with a severe currency crisis. While Reagan ran the most massive deficits in history, he also raised tax rates to try to compensate. Easing regulations led directly to the Savings and Loan crisis. He was fortunate that loyalists like Ollie North were willing to go to prison to shield him from impeachment. Trump doesn't inspire that kind of loyalty.

In any case, the consequences to the economy may be the inevitable greed and dishonesty of big money interests. If they successfully keep money out of the hands of the general populace, consumer inflation should continue to be moderate, but asset inflation may be another story.

I don't see much indication that the deficit is leading to new production facilities. The news is about corporations indulging shareholders in stock buybacks. Do you think that our economic growth is solid enough that it will carry over into the next decade?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:45 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,180,317 times
Quote:
The huge deficit stimulus package has resulted in very low unemployment and very high business profits.

As far as I know, this is the first time the feds have ever unleashed a massive stimulus package during a solid economic recovery. Should we have done this before? Do you like it? Do you think it's going to run the economy into total ruin?

What do you think?
My preference would have been to balance the budget but we also need t upgrade our infrastructure....but the path chosen has stimulated the economy at least for now.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:47 AM

727 posts, read 399,195 times
Quote:
I was asking about the trillion dollars a year in deficit spending. The tax cut is not relevant, it's the deficit spending that stimulates the economy.
Deficit spending doesn't stimulate real economic growth. It fakes or simulates economic growth. Our economy has been dead and on life support since 2001 using our children and grandchildren money to protect the status quo, to create illusion of economic growth, to fake economic growth with deficit spending.

Recessions are something we should endure or survive and not try to avoid or postpone by cheating, manipulation and stealing. Recessions are "nights"; growth phases are "days". Nights are lunar by definition - think about what that means. The Earth rests at night. It gets colder. Things contract. The world rest, storing up energy for the next day. Lunar is dreamtime. SAVING ENERGY. During Days we SPEND ENERGY.
As such, we NEED nights as much as we NEED days. During the Days, the Sun returns, and things grow again. This is true of the economy also. It grows; then it rests (recessions).

The FED, leading the other central banks, has attempted to do away with the Nights. How? By "stealing" money from unborn generations to spend now to fight off deflation. Deflation is a necessary side of the coin. Rest; Saving Energy; letting the Earth rest; strengthening the local currency; driving prices down to a sustainable level. It is the negative side of the equation, yes. But we also need the negative side.

The heavy debt load that we have now is a major headwind against real economic expansion. Strong Dollar (Saving Season) should have brought our prices down from 2001-PRESENT - and if it had we would not have millions of homeless globally. ZIRP was designed to keep people taking on more and more debt -- and to keep the dollar weak.

The Weak Dollar seeds the global economy; the Strong Dollar harvests the global economy.
There is a time for planting. There is also a time for harvesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics