U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

11,888 posts, read 16,608,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I have my coat that was handed down from my grandfather has duck feathers in it.. like over 100 years old.. and still fits and nice and warm. Got a coat for my son last year and its already lost its thickness and zipper falling apart. Got it from a "coat factory". I guess its great to buy the high end stuff if your going to keep using it but not as ruff and cheap for the ruff use? I mean we still have farmers still using good ol iron tools from generations back and manage to keep up with the times.
Made in the US is not what it may have been and what is quality costs as know how, good material and construction is not cheap.
If you want to farm with good ol iron tools and put food on the table and money in the bank for your family by doing so - please do so and share how things are going.
Buy good quality and it will last. Nothing has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

15,443 posts, read 15,396,281 times
Electrical and electronic items have vastly improved over the years. Cars, so much better, more reliable.

Old Today, 01:55 AM

24,853 posts, read 27,008,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Talking to few "Old Timers" about the good ol days, and things attended to quality vs quantity back in the days. With so many things built back during the depression and before, we can see those items are testing the times and still working. So do you think now with cheap plastic and other materials, we are deliberately shorting ourselves on quality just to sell quantity? keep the business open longer?

To answer the bolded. Of course we are, and have been for a long time. It's called planned obsolescence.

But you should understand that there was crap made during the Depression as well. It just got thrown out. Only the good stuff survives. This is known as survivorship bias.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,385,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Anyone that blames China for being bad and Walmart only has China junk as so many on these thread do, and they only shop at high end department stores, where they sell high quality goods, not goods made in China, and other low class countries like Walmart sells are just blowing smoke as they say.
Oldtrader, I agree with you, again.

What I always find amusing is that the people that complain about shoddy goods at Walmart or Target will say in the next sentence that they never step in one.

So how do you know? And who are all these people who foolishly buy shoddy things that don't last a week and throw them away? LOL

My mom loves her expensive clothing stores. So when she had heart surgery a few years ago, I went to Walmart and bought her some ultra soft nightgowns, a comfy robe and warm cushioned slippers. I took off all the tags so she wouldn't know. She loves them all and still wears them. She'll talk about how she couldn't find slippers like that anywhere, that no one sells them. I just smile.

And even when something is made in China or Thailand or Vietnam, etc, chances are the company designing the products is here in the US. The company hiring the international factories has created the items, the patterns, selected the fabrics and has very strict manufacturing guidelines. That company decides whether to make a high end luxury product or an inexpensive simple product. Then consumers get to decide which they want to buy.

Old Today, 06:27 PM

376 posts, read 135,582 times
Here is the deal. Nothing has changed. You want the best then be prepared to pay the piper. Did you know that many products are being controlled by Jews. By that I mean it is most likely a business owner is Jewish and while they have many gentile employees they are the ones touching the big money directly. Like those "dollar tree" stores. Tons of garbage but the quality is just the same.

Take technology. I found a data cable that does the same thing but is missing a valuable point. The other cable is the same as well but has gold mount and bright colors light up and everything. Why are the prices so different for the same cable? Also why are all the sellers from the same area???? I get the same product for $10 to another product for $80. Does that make sense it is the same cable but why can I only find one seller who is selling it for $35 and just happens to be a big name brand store. Why nobody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics