U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2018, 01:58 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Reputation: 2071

Advertisements

Talking to few "Old Timers" about the good ol days, and things attended to quality vs quantity back in the days. With so much things built back during the depression and before, we can see those items are testing the times and still working. So do you think now with cheap plastic and other materials, we are deliberately shorting our self on quality just to sell quantity? keep the business open longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:06 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,970 posts, read 58,377,789 times
Reputation: 29535
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Talking to few "Old Timers" about the good ol days,
and things attended to quality vs quantity back in the days.
Meh. There was plenty of poor and outright crap made in "the good ol days" too.

Quote:
do you think now with cheap plastic and other materials,
we are deliberately shorting our self on quality just to sell quantity?
Nope.
But it's a LOT harder to sell an X for $3000 when a similar Y is available for $800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:23 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,565 posts, read 51,091,239 times
Reputation: 29060
Things really haven't changed much. I remember in the 1950s and 60s my father complaining about the "cheap Japanese crap", and now it's Chinese. The biggest difference is that we did have some good quality products made here in the USA, but now the same brands are made in China, or at least many parts are, and to reduce costs more plastic is used instead of metal. Mostly large appliances, which used to last 20+ years are now good for only 4-6. On the other hand, cars are a lot better now, more power with better efficiency, and much less maintenance. I remember my 50s, 60's and 70s cars needing oil changes every 3,000 miles, complete tuneup every 10,000, new brakes every 15-20,000. Now it's 10,000 for oil, 100,000 for tuneup, and 50-100,000 on brakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Ohio
18,203 posts, read 13,371,045 times
Reputation: 14077
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Talking to few "Old Timers" about the good ol days, and things attended to quality vs quantity back in the days. With so much things built back during the depression and before, we can see those items are testing the times and still working. So do you think now with cheap plastic and other materials, we are deliberately shorting our self on quality just to sell quantity? keep the business open longer?
That's not why. Why do you torture yourself so?

Plastics reduces the cost of items to make them affordable for households that otherwise couldn't afford the items. It's not rocket science.

I paid $18 for a set of food-grade stainless steel measuring spoons. Yeah, that's right, stainless steel comes in different grades. Most people are familiar with food-grade and surgical-grade stainless steel, but there are other grades for other purposes. Many households can't afford to pay $18, and for them, a $1 set of plastic measuring spoons is sufficient, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the quality.

The use of plastic components in cars reduced both the price of the car and its weight, and that alone increased fuel efficiency by 5-7 miles per gallon.

Plastics are safer, too, and result in fewer lawsuits, so you don't have people breaking mayonnaise jars, cutting themselves, and then suing because there isn't a warning label telling people if they break a jar of mayonnaise they might get cut.

Plastics are also what people want. Businesses manufacture what consumers demand, and consumers demand that things be made of plastic and that they cost less.

There's nothing stopping you from setting up your own business and making things the way you think they should be made, except you.

What remains to be seen is whether you can manufacture those items and sell them at price that will give you a profit and also be affordable for people to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:43 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Things really haven't changed much. I remember in the 1950s and 60s my father complaining about the "cheap Japanese crap", and now it's Chinese. The biggest difference is that we did have some good quality products made here in the USA, but now the same brands are made in China, or at least many parts are, and to reduce costs more plastic is used instead of metal. Mostly large appliances, which used to last 20+ years are now good for only 4-6. On the other hand, cars are a lot better now, more power with better efficiency, and much less maintenance. I remember my 50s, 60's and 70s cars needing oil changes every 3,000 miles, complete tuneup every 10,000, new brakes every 15-20,000. Now it's 10,000 for oil, 100,000 for tuneup, and 50-100,000 on brakes.
I get it for some things but those things made in the USA were lasting lot longer vs today products. So what changed? Just cheaper manufacturing to lower the cost and increase profit margin? and crappy products in return? My grand parents still cook off a cast iron stove they bought for 50 bucks, and now sits in a shed because nobody wants to tote that 2k lbs thing. But it can cook! and heat up the house. Do you think we have the materials if we move back to iron to make things last longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 02:46 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's not why. Why do you torture yourself so?

Plastics reduces the cost of items to make them affordable for households that otherwise couldn't afford the items. It's not rocket science.

I paid $18 for a set of food-grade stainless steel measuring spoons. Yeah, that's right, stainless steel comes in different grades. Most people are familiar with food-grade and surgical-grade stainless steel, but there are other grades for other purposes. Many households can't afford to pay $18, and for them, a $1 set of plastic measuring spoons is sufficient, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the quality.

The use of plastic components in cars reduced both the price of the car and its weight, and that alone increased fuel efficiency by 5-7 miles per gallon.

Plastics are safer, too, and result in fewer lawsuits, so you don't have people breaking mayonnaise jars, cutting themselves, and then suing because there isn't a warning label telling people if they break a jar of mayonnaise they might get cut.

Plastics are also what people want. Businesses manufacture what consumers demand, and consumers demand that things be made of plastic and that they cost less.

There's nothing stopping you from setting up your own business and making things the way you think they should be made, except you.

What remains to be seen is whether you can manufacture those items and sell them at price that will give you a profit and also be affordable for people to buy.
Common sense should be a warning label. I mean after all we have Hard Boil Eggs with warning label telling you its a EGG, or dairy products that contain milk. Warning label system is a joke and embarrassment to the human brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 PM
 
8,323 posts, read 3,513,791 times
Reputation: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Things really haven't changed much. I remember in the 1950s and 60s my father complaining about the "cheap Japanese crap", and now it's Chinese. The biggest difference is that we did have some good quality products made here in the USA, but now the same brands are made in China, or at least many parts are, and to reduce costs more plastic is used instead of metal. Mostly large appliances, which used to last 20+ years are now good for only 4-6. On the other hand, cars are a lot better now, more power with better efficiency, and much less maintenance. I remember my 50s, 60's and 70s cars needing oil changes every 3,000 miles, complete tuneup every 10,000, new brakes every 15-20,000. Now it's 10,000 for oil, 100,000 for tuneup, and 50-100,000 on brakes.
I bought some cheap discount Japp screw drivers back in the '60's. I still use them today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,417 posts, read 1,165,212 times
Reputation: 4612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I bought some cheap discount Japp screw drivers back in the '60's. I still use them today.
Like most countries with an evolving technological base, Japan was fully capable of high-quality work from the mid-1950s on but kept their best products for home sale. Their ability to provide cheap labor and manufacturing for exported goods is what produced the flood of junk until they reached the point where they no longer needed to make any cheap products. Other countries have repeated this pattern.

So far, there's always been another country or region ready to step into that lowest tier, because it's relatively easy to use cheap labor to make goods for export dollars. Then they get better, their capabilities and quality improve, the prices they can command go up, and the cycle repeats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,367 posts, read 2,644,612 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Common sense should be a warning label. I mean after all we have Hard Boil Eggs with warning label telling you its a EGG, or dairy products that contain milk. Warning label system is a joke and embarrassment to the human brain.
They're done to avoid lawsuits.

Also, I still shudder to hear that some DMV manuals mention "use common sense", when we have 16 and 17yo driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM
 
898 posts, read 318,387 times
Reputation: 1605
'So do you think now with cheap plastic and other materials, we are deliberately shorting our self on quality just to sell quantity?'

no.
deliberately after profit, yes.
tech changes so fast, paying for quality is a "bug".
i have a rotary-dial telephone that still works as good as new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top