U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Macon, Georgia
464 posts, read 182,440 times
Reputation: 289

Advertisements

Sucks.
Gas Prices Approach Four-Year High | WLS-AM 890 | WLS-AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2018, 04:38 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,028,642 times
Reputation: 2071
yep. time to switch to winter blend and somebody sneezed..

and yet supply are above national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM
 
173 posts, read 50,767 times
Reputation: 515
How so?
This could be good for the environment. Gas goes up, less people on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
Reputation: 28632
Still a bargain compared to the increases in Home prices, rent, property taxes, new cars, and many other costs. My first new vehicle in 1973 was $2,500, first house in 1978 was $50,000. My newest vehicle in 2017 was $35,000, that same house is now valued at $700,000. Gas back then was $0.59, now only 5 times as high. The car and house are about 15 times higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,010 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Reputation: 3839
Gas will rise more or less permanently, beginning in the very near future. Anyone who's not planning for that is going to face severe economic consequences. That group will begin with families who have only low-MPG vehicles that will drive commute and necessity driving costs through the roof, and lose most of their resale value in a matter of months (probably going upside-down on the financing, to boot).

It's happened two or three times already but gas cycled back to "absurdly cheap." It may do so another time or two. But this post will still be up when it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM
 
17,626 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Reputation: 12859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Gas will rise more or less permanently, beginning in the very near future. Anyone who's not planning for that is going to face severe economic consequences. That group will begin with families who have only low-MPG vehicles that will drive commute and necessity driving costs through the roof, and lose most of their resale value in a matter of months (probably going upside-down on the financing, to boot).

It's happened two or three times already but gas cycled back to "absurdly cheap." It may do so another time or two. But this post will still be up when it doesn't.

This is nothing but a guess as thereís no way to know this. It hasnít been the case historically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2018, 03:44 PM
 
64,622 posts, read 66,129,695 times
Reputation: 43041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Still a bargain compared to the increases in Home prices, rent, property taxes, new cars, and many other costs. My first new vehicle in 1973 was $2,500, first house in 1978 was $50,000. My newest vehicle in 2017 was $35,000, that same house is now valued at $700,000. Gas back then was $0.59, now only 5 times as high. The car and house are about 15 times higher.
Milk around here cost more and that comes from a cow upstate. Oil comes from some of the most inhospitable places on the planet and gets shipped ,processed and handled over and over . It is a steal at the price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2018, 04:05 PM
 
11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Reputation: 16364
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
How so?
This could be good for the environment. Gas goes up, less people on the roads.
That depends on geographic location, employment and a whole bunch of other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Reputation: 10881
I drive as little as possible, cringing each time I get gas.

Aren't gas-prices supposed to come-down after the summer fuel-blend is rejiggered for winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2018, 10:20 PM
 
173 posts, read 50,767 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I drive as little as possible, cringing each time I get gas.

Aren't gas-prices supposed to come-down after the summer fuel-blend is rejiggered for winter?
Why do you cringe? Gas is relatively cheap Do you not have contingencies in your monthly budget for these types of increases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top