U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2018, 03:42 PM
 
312 posts, read 201,503 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

Why do you guys keep engaging with C2BP? His religious undertones alone would have me worried that I'm not having a thoughtful conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,547 posts, read 14,044,894 times
Reputation: 9663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Why do you guys keep engaging with C2BP? His religious undertones alone would have me worried that I'm not having a thoughtful conversation.
I haven't been around this section enough to let anything get on my nerves.

Well there's this one poster . He keeps putting a space between before a comma , and before the period .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 PM
 
27,454 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
That's maybe. Me
My keyboard has a will of its own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 PM
 
4,720 posts, read 2,255,657 times
Reputation: 8734
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This was historically true in the 70s and it continued for decades after....until the bubble burst.
Right, and as you point out one could have said in 2005 that they are guaranteed increases in home value since it had been that way for decades, but it didn't work out that way. Real estate doesn't guarantee an increase in value going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM
 
18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Right, and as you point out one could have said in 2005 that they are guaranteed increases in home value since it had been that way for decades, but it didn't work out that way. Real estate doesn't guarantee an increase in value going forward.
It has been proven again and again by researchers of all political bents or whatever that investing in S&P 500 beats homeownership in terms of gains. This is pretty consistent even when either market experiences gyrations and or setbacks.


You buy a home to live in/raise a family; period end of discussion. Anything else is gravy.


Sadly or whatever owning a home has become one of if not the biggest de facto retirement plans for many Americans. They may not invest and or have savings (for various reasons), but they've got that property which is tantamount to putting all one's chickens in that single proverbial basket.


This in part accounts for some of the high home prices being seen around USA. Sellers either cannot or will not accept lower numbers because they *need* and or were planning on major income from home sale to fund various schemes or plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 PM
 
7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Reputation: 5375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It has been proven again and again by researchers of all political bents or whatever that investing in S&P 500 beats homeownership in terms of gains. This is pretty consistent even when either market experiences gyrations and or setbacks.


You buy a home to live in/raise a family; period end of discussion. Anything else is gravy.


Sadly or whatever owning a home has become one of if not the biggest de facto retirement plans for many Americans. They may not invest and or have savings (for various reasons), but they've got that property which is tantamount to putting all one's chickens in that single proverbial basket.


This in part accounts for some of the high home prices being seen around USA. Sellers either cannot or will not accept lower numbers because they *need* and or were planning on major income from home sale to fund various schemes or plans.
It's true the broad markets have returned ~6%+ yoy net inflation for generations. Home ownership has returned less for sure. That does not mean homeownership is a mistake. For many it is/can be a pathway out of the lower classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM
 
7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Reputation: 5375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Right, and as you point out one could have said in 2005 that they are guaranteed increases in home value since it had been that way for decades, but it didn't work out that way. Real estate doesn't guarantee an increase in value going forward.
That's time horizon dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM
 
18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's true the broad markets have returned ~6%+ yoy net inflation for generations. Home ownership has returned less for sure. That does not mean homeownership is a mistake. For many it is/can be a pathway out of the lower classes.

No one ever said owning a home was a "mistake"; though for some it very well turn out that way.


Lower classes got out of their situation via homeownership largely by fleeing current busted/hoods/inner city/urban areas to better areas.


Post WWII the lower and lower middle classes who fled (then) declining cities move to the suburbs where everything from schools to healthcare was vastly better. Themselves and more importantly their children on average benefitted.


This is still true today. Why do you think Obama/HUD and others are on the warpath again to bust the remaining nice suburbs? Garden City, LI. Westchester, NY, etc... all were in Obama's crosshairs and still within HUD's and various groups like NAACP.


Even within cities such as New York, progressive/liberal/democrats are pushing low income (which today has become a code word for minorities) into luxury or whatever housing in the name of "inclusion" and "equality". This to ensure that unlike the "white flight" of 1950's through 1970's minorities aren't left behind in areas that lack same high quality services found elsewhere. So they will push them in even at cost of huge subsidizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,547 posts, read 14,044,894 times
Reputation: 9663
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's true the broad markets have returned ~6%+ yoy net inflation for generations. Home ownership has returned less for sure. That does not mean homeownership is a mistake. For many it is/can be a pathway out of the lower classes.
Owning a home was my very first step to wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Reputation: 8915
In 1918 you could buy a cow with a $20 gold piece.
In 2018 you can buy a cow with that same gold piece.
A $20 federal reserve note wil get you 4 pounds of hamburg.
Inflation is a tax. This fact used to be taught in Econ classes.
It is no longer PC to teach facts. Kids are taught to validate their emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top