U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM
 
27,784 posts, read 45,392,119 times
Reputation: 14263

Advertisements

Obama was left to clean up of the economic situation that developed under Bush 2--when he fought a war in two countries totally off the books and because of the RE debacle w/mortgage default swaps--which developed also under Bush and Greenspan...

PLEASE don't turn this into a political argument...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,375 posts, read 14,404,671 times
Reputation: 10159
And he doubled the national debt. That is an economic statement. He added more to the national debt than all presidents who preceded him.

Perhaps we need a new topic to discuss the national debt. I find it very scary that DT has done nothing in this area, and our national debt continues to burgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:32 PM
 
18,613 posts, read 12,051,872 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And he doubled the national debt. That is an economic statement. He added more to the national debt than all presidents who preceded him.

Perhaps we need a new topic to discuss the national debt. I find it very scary that DT has done nothing in this area, and our national debt continues to burgeon.

What did you expect DT and GOP to do regarding national debt?


Like Reagan and other republicans, giving away money via tax cuts is the easy part; reducing government spending and or raising revenue to pay for same is another matter.


No one seriously believed Mr. Ryan, DT and others when they said their tax "plan" would pay for itself and reduce the deficit. Nor did Mr. Ryan et al care IMHO; they got what they wanted and is the general GOP mantra, lower taxes on wealthy and or businesses/corporations.


When the stuff hits the fan, it is same ole, same ole; those who passed the tax cuts likely will be out of office leaving subsequent presidents and or Congress to clean up the mess. That and or (like Reagan) they will be dragged kicking and screaming to pass tax increases to undo the damage their reductions caused.


People need to face the fact because it is a fact neither political party can or will tackle the deficit. It just isn't in either of their interests since only way of doing so involves deep, painful and nasty but permanent cuts in areas both hold near and dear; military spending, Medicare/Social Security, Medicaid, SSI, and a few other areas of government spending.


Only times in recent memory that Washington has gotten serious about reducing national debt is when pressure was imposed on US government from the outside; to wit the bond markets. When T-Bill rates (in particular the long bonds) began inching up into high single or even double digits because the world was tired of lending cheap money to a spendthrift US government, there was finally action on debt reduction.


It was during these periods we got ideas like the "Balanced Budged Amendment", line item veto power for POTUS.


Gramm–Rudman–Hollings Balanced Budget Act was *supposed* to bring down deficits; but things haven't exactly worked out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 PM
 
7,436 posts, read 8,279,657 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Obama was left to clean up of the economic situation that developed under Bush 2--when he fought a war in two countries totally off the books and because of the RE debacle w/mortgage default swaps--which developed also under Bush and Greenspan...

PLEASE don't turn this into a political argument...
The problem is you so often layout a leftist perspective and then demand that other people clam up about politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,375 posts, read 14,404,671 times
Reputation: 10159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What did you expect DT and GOP to do regarding national debt?

Like Reagan and other republicans, giving away money via tax cuts is the easy part; reducing government spending and or raising revenue to pay for same is another matter.
I'm giving DT and his Congress until 2020 to shape up or ship out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The problem is you so often layout a leftist perspective and then demand that other people clam up about politics.
I don't see how it's possible to have an intelligent conversation about national economics without discussing national politics too. However I think such talk should be the economic aspects of politics ONLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 05:44 PM
 
18,613 posts, read 12,051,872 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm giving DT and his Congress until 2020 to shape up or ship out.

I don't see how it's possible to have an intelligent conversation about national economics without discussing national politics too. However I think such talk should be the economic aspects of politics ONLY.

Well Mr. Ryan will be gone after next month regardless. So guess it remains to see if GOP remains in control of House, and if so who will be next in charge of the asylum.


OTOH if democrats win things would be very interesting. Assuming the Pelosi woman returns as speaker (God help us all), who knows what will happen.


DT just wants to remain POTUS and be re-elected in 2020; he'll do whatever it takes to make that happen even if it means getting into bed with the Pelosi woman. The man has no political allegiance either way, only thing that matters is Trump Family Incorporated.


Of course the real wild card is what happens to US economy over next several months and or between now and 2020. If DT's trade wars and other policies start to produce the opposite of what he has been blathering on about, then all bets are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 06:10 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,375 posts, read 14,404,671 times
Reputation: 10159
I disagree about DT wanting to bed Pelosi (or God help us Maxine Waters).

I don't believe DT is on a head trip to be POTUS. I believe he's a man on a mission after how he saw how the rest of the potential candidates were performing.

TBH I don't know why he wants a second term. He has it made for life and if I were him I'd shape the country and pick my successor for 2020.

It is not DT's trade wars. The wars started before his watch. He wants to settle them, with America ahead.

I am very unsettled about my portfolio. I may suddenly bail an leave the stock market forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
4,300 posts, read 3,509,209 times
Reputation: 5952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I disagree about DT wanting to bed Pelosi (or God help us Maxine Waters).

I don't believe DT is on a head trip to be POTUS. I believe he's a man on a mission after how he saw how the rest of the potential candidates were performing.

TBH I don't know why he wants a second term. He has it made for life and if I were him I'd shape the country and pick my successor for 2020.

It is not DT's trade wars. The wars started before his watch. He wants to settle them, with America ahead.

I am very unsettled about my portfolio. I may suddenly bail an leave the stock market forever.
I've seen many posts about all the money you are making selling your rentals and all the investments you have in the market and Amazon.
If you leave the market how will you sustain your retirement? Are you just going to sit in cash? You must have made a boatload on those houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,573 posts, read 14,425,058 times
Reputation: 9105
OK, if that makes you feel better, but everybody with a bank account and retirement plan knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 PM
 
18,613 posts, read 12,051,872 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I disagree about DT wanting to bed Pelosi (or God help us Maxine Waters).

I don't believe DT is on a head trip to be POTUS. I believe he's a man on a mission after how he saw how the rest of the potential candidates were performing.

TBH I don't know why he wants a second term. He has it made for life and if I were him I'd shape the country and pick my successor for 2020.

It is not DT's trade wars. The wars started before his watch. He wants to settle them, with America ahead.

I am very unsettled about my portfolio. I may suddenly bail an leave the stock market forever.

If post November and into 2019 DT sees political winds shifting to democrats, you can bet your house/rent payment he will "get into bed" with whomever is leading the DNC.


DT has *NO* allegiance to anyone or thing but himself. That picture in today's papers of him praying with that released clergyman almost caused me to lose my breakfast. As a lifelong New Yorker and following or at least hearing about DT all my life, have never known him to be very religious. But since the evangelicals put him into office the guy suddenly got religion. I don't believe a word of it, not a single word.


GOP establishment and others in that party have no love lost for DT either, and feeling is largely mutual. However since he is helping Ryan and McConnell turn this country back to the 1950's, everyone is getting along more or less for time being.


Just read today that another West Virginia coal mine is closing putting up to 400 people out of work. When DTs so called supporters begin to realize he's all mouth and no trousers he's going to need a replacement base. If that means working with democrats in and after 2019, that is what will happen.


Am surprised by now you just don't understand DT. He is always the bride at every wedding and corpse at any funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top