Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times

Advertisements

I am also in the "I don't buy it" camp. Things that used to be available in my industry but are no longer-

1. signing bonuses for elite level workers
2. much better bonuses and commissions
3. better benefits
4. contracts, to protect employees from 'employee at will'

The economy has come back a little but we aren't close to where we were 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
minimum wage in 1968 was 1.60 . that is 11.59 today, not 21.00 bucks

a 2.00 minimum wage in 1975 is 10 bucks today . our minimum wage in ny is 10.40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Mathjak rightly called BS on this statement. And 1968 was the high water mark for the purchasing power of the minimum wage.

1968 minimum wage would be $11.64 in 2018 dollars.

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflatio...s-minimum-wage
But what $1.60 could buy in 1968 was much more than $11.59 can buy today. Both of you only proved what I said: that minimum wage in itself isn't much today and that it's a much smaller amount compared to what the cost of living has gone up to. If you want the purchasing power of 1968 dollars, then minimum wage has to go up to $21 or more.

Just by saying 1968 was the high water mark for the purchasing power of minimum wage just proves that the purchasing power has been going down in the last 50 years.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Many things today are not comparable nor is life for that matter today. The quality of life today is far far better. Heck we didn’t have air conditioning growing up .We had a tv that broke and tv’s were so expensive we did not buy another one for almost a year.

Homes are much bigger today . We used to pay so much for long distance calls I spoke to family every few months.

So money buys different things today.

One interesting thing is the average woman today weighs as much as the average man did in 1960

Old 10-14-2018, 05:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
And one can get a job cleaning feces on the California streets from the highest homeless population ever.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM

Those people would be homeless and poor regardless .drugs and alcohol are the biggest reasons . That has little to do with jobs , most of them are unemployable with mental issues that got them there

Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Love it. That makes at how many administrations in a row where posters in here are sayings BLS statisticians who have worked through several administrations are playing games with the numbers.
I don't care how many other people have be suspected of running that stop sign, but this car sure has!!!

How can unemployed be so low when wages have not kept up with it? How come people aren't reporting they are being given huge bonuses to stay or huge raises to leave their jobs and go where elsewhere? You need to wake up and smell the coffee here, this low unemployment figure is bogus. It doesn't tell the whole picture and it is pretty obvious. If the unemployment rate is so low, the lowest since 1969 why are so many employers upset about the idea of a minimum wage at only $15.00 an hour? The unemployment numbers weren't this low years ago, but employers were still giving out 10% raises. Come on, you aren't looking at all the data for 2018. This unemployment number is bogus and not representative of the actual demand for employees because if it were, they wouldn't be having everyone go on a couple of phone interviews and three rounds of in-person interviews just for a non-management position. Employers wouldn't be withholding what the actual salary is, because they would be telling you that upfront to get your take the job. You need to read the Work forums, and those for Job Search and Unemployment on C-D. People are not being aggressively courted to take jobs like it was years ago when the unemployment rate wasn't this low.

This administration is taking credit when there is none to be given. Wages for many years have not increased and it doesn't look like they are going to. If there is just a small labor pool, then wages would be going up and they simply aren't. You can't hide behind a bunch of nonsense about someone you didn't like claimed the same thing before. This is 2018, and employment is in trouble and it is hurting, and you would have to be a complete idiot not to see this.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many things today are not comparable nor is life for that matter today. The quality of life today is far far better. Heck we didn’t have air conditioning growing up .We had a tv that broke and tv’s were so expensive we did not buy another one for almost a year.

Homes are much bigger today . We used to pay so much for long distance calls I spoke to family every few months.

So money buys different things today.

One interesting thing is the average woman today weighs as much as the average man did in 1960
The quality of life is only better for those who have the money to buy that quality. Those who need to work minimum wage jobs are not seeing any quality of life at all. To top it off, things are not only not improving, they're getting worse. Whooppee for money buying different things. I want it to buy what it bought before: a decent place to live, enough to pay for food and groceries, and maybe some to save.

You can have your air conditioning and your large houses and your TVs and your long distance. I personally don't have air conditioning, a TV, a large house, or can afford to put enough minutes on my phone for long distance. Those things are for rich people, the ones who live in first world conditions. I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about people who used to be middle class and are now living under third world conditions because the necessities like heat, food, education, and some hope in the future are all but gone.

You have a blessed existence. I wish you would acknowledge that and appreciate it, however you came by it.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And one can get a job cleaning feces on the California streets from the highest homeless population ever.
That would mean working for the city and since the city usually requires a good credit record to be given a job, bang! - you're wrong. Try again, please.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The quality of life is only better for those who have the money to buy that quality. Those who need to work minimum wage jobs are not seeing any quality of life at all. To top it off, things are not only not improving, they're getting worse. Whooppee for money buying different things. I want it to buy what it bought before: a decent place to live, enough to pay for food and groceries, and maybe some to save.

You can have your air conditioning and your large houses and your TVs and your long distance. I personally don't have air conditioning, a TV, a large house, or can afford to put enough minutes on my phone for long distance. Those things are for rich people, the ones who live in first world conditions. I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about people who used to be middle class and are now living under third world conditions because the necessities like heat, food, education, and some hope in the future are all but gone.

You have a blessed existence. I wish you would acknowledge that and appreciate it, however you came by it.
there will always be those who are not going to get ahead ever , in any job climate. they lack skills , they may be unemployable for anything better or they just plain have no drive or motivation or work in their area regardless of the economy . .

many will be poor in any job market so this had nothing to do with the job market . these are individual issues.

no one sees themselves as unemployable , skill-less or are just undesirable as an employee but that is just what many minimum wage workers who are in that slot forever may be .

i am retired now but the company i worked for has grown to over a 100 million dollar company from 8 million when i started . they are always hiring in every slot .

the labor pool left sucks! . most of those jobs go unfilled unless head hunters steal a competitors best of breed . if people in these parts are unemployed or buried in a low end job ,there is usually a reason .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-15-2018 at 03:44 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 05:00 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The quality of life is only better for those who have the money to buy that quality. Those who need to work minimum wage jobs are not seeing any quality of life at all.
People who need to work minimum wage jobs either live in an area where it's 90% of the amount and they have no means to get away from the area, or are not trying hard enough. The latter has nothing to do with the economy, and as for the former, unless you are forced to stay in those certain areas you're not forced to settle for minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics