U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,296,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i talk only in terms of what i see and what i experience .
Which is exactly what I'm doing. So why are you insinuating that my view less invalid than yours?

Forgot this: Why do secretaries need college degrees now? Written a while back, but still valid.
"For instance, one telling aspect of the modern economy is the disappearance of on-the-job training: In 1979, young workers averaged 2.5 weeks of training annually. By 2011, only one-fifth of workers said they'd received training in the last five years. So over the last three decades, employers have been investing less and less time and resources in bringing new hires up to speed. And why not? Over that same time period, there's almost always been a large pool of people, in every sector, who were desperate for work and likely already had the needed experience.

The rise of the college degree as the all-purpose job requirement is part of this trend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:47 PM

64,537 posts, read 66,100,109 times
i am not insinuating a thing . i am telling you how it is in our industry and i clearly stated that . the college diploma has been the equal to our high school diploma since my kids days . for decades here it has been like that . almost all decent entry level jobs want some college . it is usually not a requirement but it does give you the edge .

but i have found sales can be very very lucrative in many industries and not require a degree . companies in our industry will provide all sorts of technical training for products . we have had sales people making over 200k in my old company who started as picker packers in the warehouse years ago..

but again , not everyone can sell or has a personality for selling . we have had more people fail at it then succeed .

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM

5,292 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
almost all decent entry level jobs want some college .
A number of times I found technical candidates (IT, network, programmers) that I wanted to hire but had to fight with ER in order to get approval because they did not have a degree. And had once had to scheme to find a way to get rid of a employee with a Phd.

I found many large companies invest too much authority in ER departments and often staff with credentials rather than capabilities.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:56 PM

a degree shows you can learn and can stay committed . that is about the best thing that can be said for most degrees . i know in our industry i find many of our sales people with a few years experience are just as effective at learning technical stuff as the engineers we hire .

only the difference is i can't take an engineer and teach them to be good salesman , but i can take a good salesman and give them enough product knowledge and technical knowledge to be very effective at earning a good living .

the company i do training for does a whole lot of different stuff . they sell and repair motors and pumps , they sell industrial motor controls and drives . they sell factory automation controls , they do custom control panel building and custom switch gear , plus they are a full line electrical wholesaler selling lighting and all sorts of electrical supplies . they are in multiple states and grew from a 6 million dollar company when i started to over 100 million today .

Old 10-25-2018, 12:16 AM

27 posts, read 7,316 times
maybe growth of online marketing helped many to find work from their home

Old 10-26-2018, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himajateki View Post
maybe growth of online marketing helped many to find work from their home
This is one of the problems for employers who have trouble finding qualified people. The talented internet entrepreneur, who makes a living without a job, and without a formal business, such as some of the biggest Youtubers making over $100k.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:17 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,716,572 times
I'm expecting the jobless rate to go up. Look at what's happen in the Dow/NASDAQ/S&P 500 this month. That weakness will soon be reflected in the economy at large.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:03 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is one of the problems for employers who have trouble finding qualified people. The talented internet entrepreneur, who makes a living without a job, and without a formal business, such as some of the biggest Youtubers making over $100k.
And wow, there must be... 200 of those.

Old Today, 03:11 AM

16,471 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
anybody that wants to work can find a job.
Those with criminal/prison records and those that failed the drug test would argue that with you!

Old Today, 03:28 AM

do you really think they are not working in some fashion ? they are likely working doing something off the books or not legal .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or