U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times

Advertisements

I just meant it's unkind to wish for him to die or to celebrate his death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
The hits just keep on coming!

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...-stock-options

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...new-pay-system

Old 10-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just meant it's unkind to wish for him to die or to celebrate his death.

He's not dead yet.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Amazon is being pretty damned nice to its employees.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM

3,456 posts, read 1,978,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Turnover will still be ridiculous. A small percentage of the manual labor workforce are hardworking, dependable, valuable employees. A significant portion of that labor market are undependable, lazy dead weight. It is a constant battle to find quality manual labor force.
Perhaps if they were paid as though they were valued members of the work force, there'd be less turnover.

People with high ed-you-kay-sion forget it is the "little people" who make it so they can have their cushy paying jobs.

I mean how many architects do you see nailing or screwing drywall up? Nope, not them with their ed-you-kay-sion. Thats for the poorly paid day laborers to do. But where would the architect be if not for those $11/hr day laborers to make their paper plans come to life ?

How many doctors do you see checking patients in and out? Nope thats what the $11 secretary is for. Or show the patients to the exam room, take their complaints and BP? Nope they gots themselves an ed-you-kay-sion. But where would a doctor be without patients?

And all of you with yer hi-n-migty ed-you-kay-sion , apparently never have to shop at a grocery store? And find food on the shelves? How do you think it got there? The lowly day laborer who picked it, slaughtered it or mass cooked it and tge lowly shelf stocker got it there. Just how long will you last with your ed-you-kay-sion with NO FOOD??? Can you eat your degree????

And all of you ed-you-kay-sion people never eat out, never stop at a fast food joint for a latte and muffin breakfast sandwich??? Who makes that possible? The lowly pittance paid workers.

In the 70s there was a joke/food for thought quote circulated:

" you pay the guy who designs the car $25 /hr to design the car, you pay the guy who assembles it $18/hr, you pay the salesman $12/hr to sell the car, but you expect the guy who makes $8/hr to buy it!"

What if ALL the day laborers and food people gots themselves an ed-you-kay-sion??? Who will produce the food???

Dont those little people deserve a wage they can live on?

Heres another one:
"There was a job anyone could do, but everyone thought someone was going to do it so no one did it".

Thats what will happen if ALL got an ed-you-kay-sion.

Downton Abbey couldn't run well without all those servants to actually do the running of the place.

Ah, yeah capitalism is alive and well.

Think next time you eat out.... what if no one was there to pick, cook and serve it to you???? How long can you go hungry before you sell a share of stock or two and cry "UNCLE"???? CAN you EAT that share of stock???

They all deserve to be respected and paid a wage they can actually live on.

We cant all be ed-you-kay-ted. The world would grind to a halt.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Amazon is being pretty damned nice to its employees.

Only because Mr. Bezos has more money than God, and Amazon isn't far behind in terms of current market value. That is just red meet to Bernie Sanders and his minions who just can't stand to see anyone get ahead.

If senator Sanders were Lenin he'd round up every wealthy person in this country, shove them down cellars and confiscate their wealth for redistribution to "the state".

Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Perhaps if they were paid as though they were valued members of the work force, there'd be less turnover.

People with high ed-you-kay-sion forget it is the "little people" who make it so they can have their cushy paying jobs.

I mean how many architects do you see nailing or screwing drywall up? Nope, not them with their ed-you-kay-sion. Thats for the poorly paid day laborers to do. But where would the architect be if not for those $11/hr day laborers to make their paper plans come to life ?

How many doctors do you see checking patients in and out? Nope thats what the $11 secretary is for. Or show the patients to the exam room, take their complaints and BP? Nope they gots themselves an ed-you-kay-sion. But where would a doctor be without patients?

And all of you with yer hi-n-migty ed-you-kay-sion , apparently never have to shop at a grocery store? And find food on the shelves? How do you think it got there? The lowly day laborer who picked it, slaughtered it or mass cooked it and tge lowly shelf stocker got it there. Just how long will you last with your ed-you-kay-sion with NO FOOD??? Can you eat your degree????

And all of you ed-you-kay-sion people never eat out, never stop at a fast food joint for a latte and muffin breakfast sandwich??? Who makes that possible? The lowly pittance paid workers.

In the 70s there was a joke/food for thought quote circulated:

" you pay the guy who designs the car $25 /hr to design the car, you pay the guy who assembles it $18/hr, you pay the salesman $12/hr to sell the car, but you expect the guy who makes $8/hr to buy it!"

What if ALL the day laborers and food people gots themselves an ed-you-kay-sion??? Who will produce the food???

Dont those little people deserve a wage they can live on?

Heres another one:
"There was a job anyone could do, but everyone thought someone was going to do it so no one did it".

Thats what will happen if ALL got an ed-you-kay-sion.

Downton Abbey couldn't run well without all those servants to actually do the running of the place.

Ah, yeah capitalism is alive and well.

Think next time you eat out.... what if no one was there to pick, cook and serve it to you???? How long can you go hungry before you sell a share of stock or two and cry "UNCLE"???? CAN you EAT that share of stock???

They all deserve to be respected and paid a wage they can actually live on.

We cant all be ed-you-kay-ted. The world would grind to a halt.

Just what the Hell is your beef? Your post reads like a rant from somebody who disn't get 'edumicated.' Don't blame your lack of education on America.

I'll give you a free pass if you admit to sarcasm. Otherwise just go get educated and get a better job.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only because Mr. Bezos has more money than God, and Amazon isn't far behind in terms of current market value. That is just red meet to Bernie Sanders and his minions who just can't stand to see anyone get ahead.

If senator Sanders were Lenin he'd round up every wealthy person in this country, shove them down cellars and confiscate their wealth for redistribution to "the state".
Amazon got sucked into the slipstream of Apple. (Look at the market cap. Apple is king and Amazon is riding the slipstream.) If you have a beef, go whine at your local Apple store. Apple now are own all of Amazon base. (to paraphrase AYBABTU)

I say let's let Bezos and Sanders do the lead in fight, to the final match between Trump and Biden.

Yeah I'd love to see Bezos kick Sanders' arse, and then see Trump feed Biden Biden's liver.

Yeah my post is all humor and sarcasm. I don't really think this way. I believe you never hit anybody, except with a subpoena.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yeah, warehouse workers, the geniuses of society..
It takes a certain type of personality to put up with the petty politicking and feigned self-effacement that characterizes most too many workplaces in the post-Industrial Age, and I found out (a couple of years too late) that I couldn't accept that, and keep my sanity; I prefer to dress comfortably (and inexpensively), to work outside the 9-to-5 regimen, and I relish a role where clear measures of performance, rather than relationships, determine advancement, and I had a number of friends from my undergraduate years who were just as disillusioned, and just as quickly.

So I gravitated to trucking, just in time to see occupations in the support ranks reduced by deregulation, and then to a distribution warehouse (luckily for me, mostly light weight stuff). I ended up staying for eighteen years, while I used my business degree to develop a bookkeeping and tax sideline (which a partner and I still operate) before finishing it off with three years at Amazon in very late middle age.

And when the opportunity presents itself, Mr. Rocko might want to make a short visit to what's sometimes called a "travel center" and used to be called a truck stop -- and in particular.to the audio-books section, It turns out that a few of those guys behind the wheel of eighteen wheelers, have turned the low demands of driving into the development of a pretty well-rounded intellect.

Not the rule for all of us, of course, but some of those "deplorables" were capable of deeper reasoning than Madame Hillary ever imagined.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 PM

So if you get married and have children, would your wife be a mother trucker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or