Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,797,983 times

Advertisements

Pretty funny how Amazon spun this for publicity while at the same time behind closed doors they calculated how it would actually save them money. Pay them more per hour but take away the incentives resulting in paying them less. They are probably still laughing in the corporate office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
File this under darned if you do, and darned if you don't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/t...pay-raise.html

As usual Bernie Sanders is stirring the pot.
My former company was forced by Washington law to pay us $11.50 per hour. So, they did it and took away our vac/sick pay unless we were at tech level....

Production dropped off so much with people quitting they lost renewal of their contract and now are being forced out...YAY!!!!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I’m sure I’ll catch grief for this but, at the end of the day, does it really make sense to give warehouse workers stock options?
Nike was doing that years and years ago....Still do as far as I know.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
If you don't meet their work requirements you'll be let go at Amazon. That $15hr is nothing when they work you like a robot. Amazon makes workers compete with their robotic machines.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,169,717 times
They have 350,000 employees making under the $15/hr new minimum wage.

It is way more important for Amazon to be able to attract a mass amount of people, than keep the few high performers happy with bonuses and stock options.

Those low wage employees are everything to Amazon. They need 100s of thousands of low wage people to get the product out the door. Without those people, Amazon is done for, at least until automation/robotics takes over more.

Basically the high performers subsidized everyone else, but Amazon really didn't have much choice. They don't need a small handful of high performers, they need massive amounts of people to just show up, and what they where paying wasn't cutting it.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,174,781 times
What's the play?

Raise wages, force others to raise wages to retain. Other go out of business, replace human labor with robots.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:59 AM

16,948 posts, read 12,502,411 times
The play is the stock. Bezos was probably looking at what all that stock would be worth in 10 years and decided to give a front end raise to "ease the pain" of taking it away.

I know 4 of their former warehouse workers including one that was at those Allentown warehouses where they parked ambulances to take away heat stroke victims rather than shut them for the duration of the heat wave. They did install AC after but shows you what they think of the peons.

The high horses of a few here... Fascinating.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
The new industrial revolution is here again, soon they will unionize and fight against Bezos.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,908,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Pretty funny how Amazon spun this for publicity while at the same time behind closed doors they calculated how it would actually save them money. Pay them more per hour but take away the incentives resulting in paying them less. They are probably still laughing in the corporate office.
Doubtful. Worker turnover is ridiculous in that field. I bet the vast majority of workers there would take the $15 instead of destroying their health and wellbeing working there for decades.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,283,324 times
I have a friend who is in personnel management at Amazon. He is a hardass marine officer combat veteran with very limited patience for failure, so his perspective might be slightly skewed. He loves the performance incentives amazon offers but he predicted years ago that they wouldn't last long because people tend to sue when they don't get them and the lawsuits are expensive and stressful for management. I was stunned when he told me that he gets sued (named on a lawsuit) about a dozen times a month. In addition, stock options and vesting are a massive headache to handle due to the unusually high incidences of extended medical and mental health absences that employees tend to suffer from. Amazon found out that it is very hard to find people who reliably show up and do their job for less than $15 an hour. I am guessing that the increased cost of wages will end up being less than the legal and insurance costs associated with high turnover and administering stock options. It is clearly a business decision, not senior management going soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics