U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847

Advertisements

File this under darned if you do, and darned if you don't.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/t...pay-raise.html


As usual Bernie Sanders is stirring the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: USA
550 posts, read 194,519 times
Reputation: 1527
I’m sure I’ll catch grief for this but, at the end of the day, does it really make sense to give warehouse workers stock options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 PM
 
18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I知 sure I値l catch grief for this but, at the end of the day, does it really make sense to give warehouse workers stock options?

Why not?


You do realize everyone from secretaries, receptionists, assistants and plenty of other support or whatever non-management employees at *MANY* tech firms became instant millionaires when company went public/allowed them to cash in/out.


Facebook, Paypal and many others at the time couldn't pay much or anything for good people, so they gave stock options. When those firms went public and or whatever and people were made very, very, wealthy word got out.


Not saying every tech place now giving out options is going to make rank and file well off, but never the less prospects are tantalizing enough that they usually have no problems attracting talent at any level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,548 posts, read 1,136,052 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I知 sure I値l catch grief for this but, at the end of the day, does it really make sense to give warehouse workers stock options?
No it doesn't make any sense. But we continue to believe warehouse workers are walking Dave Ramseys and will spend their new pay raises (or stock options once they sell them) wisely on smart expenses, not financing cars, junk food, tattoos, lottery tickets, and every other expense America's underclass loves to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: USA
550 posts, read 194,519 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why not?


You do realize everyone from secretaries, receptionists, assistants and plenty of other support or whatever non-management employees at *MANY* tech firms became instant millionaires when company went public/allowed them to cash in/out.


Facebook, Paypal and many others at the time couldn't pay much or anything for good people, so they gave stock options. When those firms went public and or whatever and people were made very, very, wealthy word got out.


Not saying every tech place now giving out options is going to make rank and file well off, but never the less prospects are tantalizing enough that they usually have no problems attracting talent at any level.
I get that but they池e no Amazon. Startups are a different animal where people often make the decision based on factors other than salary as you noted. I suspect they池e also relatively small operations compared to the 500,000 plus Amazon employees.

Stock options should be for a select few, relative to the half million, who make the greatest contributions to Amazon痴 goals. One of my buddies works for Amazon and he makes the warehouse workers look lazy with the hours he works and pressure he endures. Maybe I値l ask for his opinion the next time we talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 PM
 
311 posts, read 534,987 times
Reputation: 386
Looks like a communism experiment, take away performance incentives and pay everyone a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: USA
550 posts, read 194,519 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Looks like a communism experiment, take away performance incentives and pay everyone a little more.
They really need to rethink the removal of performance incentives. They値l bite them in the end I bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 AM
 
852 posts, read 170,426 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Looks like a communism experiment, take away performance incentives and pay everyone a little more.
Bezos lately making 50% smart and 50% dumb business decisions. Eventually it's going to catch up with him because the ratio of dumb-to-smart has been increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM
 
4,825 posts, read 2,138,910 times
Reputation: 12274
Amazon has a reputation for high turnover in the warehouse division. It's really intense all the bs a new hire has to go thru just to be considered. Imagine the delusion of this question: if a roof caves during your shift...who is responsible for that roof blowing off? I answered: well if it's weather ..tornado ...hurricane...foreign object hitting it. It's nature.
I was told. No! The answer is You! Your team for not reporting the roof being unsecure! Good gravy I'm just not that strong to rip off a roof ...or repair it! That's the lunacy that $15 will get you. And yes stock options are not 'title 'bias. I personally would tell any business what they can do with stocks..and it ain't pretty. Try losing 24k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 AM
 
4,377 posts, read 1,482,020 times
Reputation: 10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No it doesn't make any sense. But we continue to believe warehouse workers are walking Dave Ramseys and will spend their new pay raises (or stock options once they sell them) wisely on smart expenses, not financing cars, junk food, tattoos, lottery tickets, and every other expense America's underclass loves to make.

Huh. I know a bunch of the guys that work in our warehouse where I work. Most of them have their side hustle. They aren't dumb.


We're a Fortune 500 company, with awesome benefits, and we're one of the top 100 companies people love to work at. Most of us know we landed at a great place.


You're talking about youth. Youth ANYWHERE want their cars, tatoos, don't have families so they don't care about cooking, etc.


(Psssst, your classism is showing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

ゥ 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top