Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I work for direct mail marketing company and we produce a ton of mailings for our clients. I am laughing at some of you that say you just throw away all of your junk mail w/o even opening it because some of those mailings contain $1, $5 or $10 bills.
I do open all my mail, and there has never been a $5 or $10 bill enclosed. Unless you mean a bill for that amount...
There have been a few $1 bills, but their inclusion was obvious from the outside of the envelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, Amazon actually produces a profit for the USPS. I think others like eBay or other online retailers help the USPS. The letters right now are a problem because besides bills, how many send cards through the mail anymore rather than e-mail or even just a standard Facebook message?
I send cards. I still have older relatives, my mom, aunts and uncles etc who don’t use computers. Besides cards are more special than a fireworks video. My mom saves all the Mothers Day cards I give her. I put a check or gift card in a card and mail it to my nephews still. It seems more personal to me. I would be mad if my bf sent me a Valentines e-card instead of a “real” card I could keep. I have a cousin in California who still writes me letters. It’s actually nice.

Almost all our patients have get well cards all over their rooms which were mailed to them.

I also use USPS to mail overnight letters and packages as well, as they are cheaper than UPS and more convenient as in closer to my house.

I still pay bills and do as much as I can online, but the need for it certainly exists. I don’t see it as irrelevant at this point.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I send cards. I still have older relatives, my mom, aunts and uncles etc who don’t use computers. Besides cards are more special than a fireworks video. My mom saves all the Mothers Day cards I give her. I put a check or gift card in a card and mail it to my nephews still. It seems more personal to me. I would be mad if my bf sent me a Valentines e-card instead of a “real” card I could keep. I have a cousin in California who still writes me letters. It’s actually nice.

Almost all our patients have get well cards all over their rooms which were mailed to them.

I also use USPS to mail overnight letters and packages as well, as they are cheaper than UPS and more convenient as in closer to my house.

I still pay bills and do as much as I can online, but the need for it certainly exists. I don’t see it as irrelevant at this point.
I still use it for fragrance swaps and my car note (for some reason the finance office I got it through don't do auto-pay.) Otherwise I use online when I can. I don't do letters or cards or if I do cards I send them personally whether for Christmas or with birthday gifts. The biggest thing is the cards cost too much these days unless you get them from Dollar Tree.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I can’t remember the last time I said anything personal through the Postal Service.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I still use it for fragrance swaps and my car note (for some reason the finance office I got it through don't do auto-pay.) Otherwise I use online when I can. I don't do letters or cards or if I do cards I send them personally whether for Christmas or with birthday gifts. The biggest thing is the cards cost too much these days unless you get them from Dollar Tree.
I get kids in our family the $.99 ones now. My brother I get which everyone is funniest even if it cost a little more, and for my mother I get whichever one I think is going to make her cry, LOL. It is crazy how much they cost now. I now have the shelf is taken up by those stupid cards that play music and cost eight dollars apiece. No way!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't see why we even need the U.S. Postal Service anymore. Most of what I receive is junk mail that goes right in the trash without even being opened.
There are always posters who say that. We still need the Postal Service sometimes. I am on Social Security and on occasion, they want me to snail mail them paperwork. Credit cards are sent by mail. Etc. . .

Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I work for direct mail marketing company and we produce a ton of mailings for our clients. I am laughing at some of you that say you just throw away all of your junk mail w/o even opening it because some of those mailings contain $1, $5 or $10 bills.
Then you obviously aren't sending any mail my way despite my being 70 and living in some desireable zip codes (for average income and other demographics) ever since I left college...

And I don't have any friends in similar circumstances who have received those mailings...

Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are always posters who say that. We still need the Postal Service sometimes. I am on Social Security and on occasion, they want me to snail mail them paperwork. Credit cards are sent by mail. Etc. . .
There will always be physical means necessary to send tangible objects such as credit cards or purchased goods. My new passport came via USPS.

However USPS does not have to be the carrier who carries these tangible objects. It can be any carrier with end point delivery capability.

If USPS suddenly vanished I'm pretty sure the other carriers would invent a new economy class for items such as credit cards and passports.

BTW, those of you sending "happy happy" cards, you can print many of them online. I see no reason to purchase them at stores. You can download them for free or make your own, as follows:

For my Valentine's Day invitation I purchased some nice letter stationary on heavy weight paper (and matching envelopes) and downloaded a calligraphy font online, and printed a beautiful Valentine invite which I presented to my special woman on a preceding date. It looked fantastic and this year's Valentine was the best Valentine I ever had. — And I have a bunch of nice stationary for the future. Also, I'm an artist and may use some of the paper for my art.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There will always be physical means necessary to send tangible objects such as credit cards or purchased goods. My new passport came via USPS.

However USPS does not have to be the carrier who carries these tangible objects. It can be any carrier with end point delivery capability.

If USPS suddenly vanished I'm pretty sure the other carriers would invent a new economy class for items such as credit cards and passports.

BTW, those of you sending "happy happy" cards, you can print many of them online. I see no reason to purchase them at stores. You can download them for free or make your own, as follows:

For my Valentine's Day invitation I purchased some nice letter stationary on heavy weight paper (and matching envelopes) and downloaded a calligraphy font online, and printed a beautiful Valentine invite which I presented to my special woman on a preceding date. It looked fantastic and this year's Valentine was the best Valentine I ever had. — And I have a bunch of nice stationary for the future. Also, I'm an artist and may use some of the paper for my art.

If the usps vanished the cost for sending letters or shipping would go up tremendously. USPS is the end deliver point for FedEx UPS and DHL because those companies can’t make the final delivery anywhere near as efficiently and cheaply as the USPS.

I see you’ve abandoned any attempt to detail what issues you have between the us govt and the usps and have stuck to the thought that if you don’t use a service we should eliminate it

Old 10-14-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I wish I enjoyed and was good at doing homemade things but I know myself. I’d have “make Pop card” on my phone reminder list. Then I’d get home from work late, make my lunch and shower then I’d be tired and move the reminder to tomorrow....then 6 days later I’d be in Rite Aid buying a “Happy Belated Birthday” card lol.

For my mom especially she’s 87 and feels it, so spending $6 on a card she will treasure doesn’t seem like too much. Also for my brother I try to get really funny ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics