U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM

4,024 posts, read 1,471,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
All my purchases that are fulfilled by Amazon travel only the final leg (my central USPS to my home) via USPS. Either Amazon is using their own fleet to deliver to my central USPS or they are using a contract carrier. Probably both.
It's handled by Amazon Logistics, using private contractors. In some places they are already delivering the final leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,549 posts, read 14,051,705 times
Thanks for adding to my Amazon knowledge. By now it's no secret in the Economics and Investment sections that I'm a strong proponent and investor in Amazon. I value every single fact I can learn about them.

I think your information is pretty much what I thought. So far in NW L.A. County my tracking is off the radar until it hits the central post office for my region. I had suspected that private contractors were involved, possibly with Amazon owned trucking too. It's no secret that Amazon is increasing its ownership of its own trucking fleet.

Also, Amazon recently bought a lot of trucks from Mercedes (20K trucks?), not enough to compete with FedEx or UPS, but big enough to give those two cause for concern IMO.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 9,598,026 times
It strikes me as odd that people will complain about a stamp for 50¢ and yet pay the same to add $$ to a parking meter.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
I don't use parking meters. I drive down the street to where the metering ends and get some free exercise.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:34 PM

953 posts, read 605,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't know where you get your information from. Mail volume has decreased by almost 50% since 2001, and there is no sign the decline will stop anytime soon.
If the volume is the same as it was in 1984, then it should be 25 cents, not 55 cents.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:45 PM

4,024 posts, read 1,471,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
If the volume is the same as it was in 1984, then it should be 25 cents, not 55 cents.
Actually that chart is from 2012 (the newest I could find). It's now back to 1979 levels when stamps were 15¢. Not that the price of stamps has anything to do with mail volume. Other then the fact that it will probably have to go up to offset the loss of revenue from the falling mail volume.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Stamps are purchased more by the public and small businesses. Large businesses are bulk mailers and get the bulk rate. They don't use stamps.

I too expect stamps to rise as 1st class mail transitions to e-transactions and e-mail. Who sends written personal letters any more?

Had the USPS been smart they would have pioneered the e-payment industry. PayPal, Google, Apple, etc. are now gobbling up the business.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:05 PM

17,624 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe in your area... In my area FedEx and UPS deliver to my door. I haven't dealt with DHL. I live in a suburb of a major city. Are you rural? That could explain our differing experience.
Maybe you don’t understand the business of delivering packages but Fedex/UPS deliver to my door in Houston but they admittedly can’t do it as cheaply and efficiently as the USPS does and that is why they turn over the final mile on so many packages. Our difference in experience might be understanding logistics and how these businesses operate

Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM

All of my packages that are sent via FedEx/UPS arrive on FedEx/UPS trucks.

Maybe you haven't taken into account that there are regional differences.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM

25,407 posts, read 14,492,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't pay any medical bills now, but when I did, I was paying them online. That was 20 years ago. My current provider is a small town hospital. When I go to their webpage there is a Quick Resources sidebar. The very first link is Online Bill Pay. If your medical provider can't do online billing, I would strongly suggest changing providers, because they are stuck in the 1980s. If they can't even handle a simple thing like online billing, how can you expect them to be able to take care of your health?
Well I dropped the most recent quack who'd only bill in the mail, for other non postal related billing reasons... Haven't found one because Arizona GPS tend to suck whether the doctors themselves or office staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics