U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,556 posts, read 14,059,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Not to mention all that junk mail from AAA advertising their life insurance 25 times a year if you ever bother joining, and all the other discounted bulk mail from charities that target the elderly.
And AAA won't let you unsubscribe from their Westways magazine. I pleaded with them, said I don't expect any rate reduction, I just want to stop filling the recycle bin with their rag. They said, "Nope, it's automatic for all members." I pretty much toss everything they send me, including the auto insurance offers and certainly the life insurance offers.

If they want to sell life assurance then I might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't see why we even need the U.S. Postal Service anymore. Most of what I receive is junk mail that goes right in the trash without even being opened.
USPS would fail utterly and entirely without junk mailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The parcel division of the USPS is separate, and profitable.

It's the mail portion that is having problems because everything is done electronically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, Amazon and other companies get a bulk discount, like we do at Costco.
During the course of 2018 Amazon has increasingly shifted to doing the long haul shipping with their own trucks/aircraft and/or contractors doing the same. I'm pretty sure all my USPS shipments from Amazon fulfillment have done only the final leg (10 miles) in USPS trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In NJ they still send car registration renewals and things like that through the mail. If you don't get it mailed, the only other option is to go to DMV. Medicare and Social Security also only mail correspondence and forms.
In California you can pay DMV online for vehicle registrations. They EFT the funds from your bank account. Or take it to AAA not DMV. It's crazy to go to DMV except for things you cannot do otherwise (drivers license renewal where written test, sight test, new picture and fingerprint are required).

Quote:
Are you kidding, that’s it, 5 cents? Very misleading headline.
It's a 10% rate hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The postal service delivers nearly 500,000,000 pieces of mail daily and business/people pay for that delivery service. If you don’t understand how it can possibly continue to operate you simple don’t understand the demand that exist for the post office services
Take junk mail out of the equation and USPS would probably crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I probably use stamps to send snail mail about a dozen times a year. I will buy forever stamps as I need them.
I'm closing down my business so I intend to make a lifetime buy, perhaps 5 booklets, as the last time I can buy stamps with before tax money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM

17,246 posts, read 14,829,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And AAA won't let you unsubscribe from their Westways magazine. I pleaded with them, said I don't expect any rate reduction, I just want to stop filling the recycle bin with their rag. They said, "Nope, it's automatic for all members." I pretty much toss everything they send me, including the auto insurance offers and certainly the life insurance offers.

If they want to sell life assurance then I might be interested.

USPS would fail utterly and entirely without junk mailers.

During the course of 2018 Amazon has increasingly shifted to doing the long haul shipping with their own trucks/aircraft and/or contractors doing the same. I'm pretty sure all my USPS shipments from Amazon fulfillment have done only the final leg (10 miles) in USPS trucks.

In California you can pay DMV online for vehicle registrations. They EFT the funds from your bank account. Or take it to AAA not DMV. It's crazy to go to DMV except for things you cannot do otherwise (drivers license renewal where written test, sight test, new picture and fingerprint are required).

It's a 10% rate hike.

Take junk mail out of the equation and USPS would probably crash.

I'm closing down my business so I intend to make a lifetime buy, perhaps 5 booklets, as the last time I can buy stamps with before tax money.

We can renew our registration online in New Jersey too. But they still mail you the registration, you can’t print it out online

Old 10-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Quote:
We can renew our registration online in New Jersey to. But they still mail you the registration you can just print it out for them online.
I don't think CA has a "print online" option, because they still need to mail you the expiry sticker.

Anyway they pay the postage, not me.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think CA has a "print online" option, because they still need to mail you the expiry sticker.

Anyway they pay the postage, not me.
I was just giving examples of transactions that still require use of regular mail. I’m not bothered about the increase at all. Although I also rarely use it, I still think $.55 to send something anywhere in the country is a bargain. I also find regular mail is pretty fast, sometimes my mom in PA would get cards the day after I mailed them. It’s kind of amazing to me really, lol. I don’t think a five cent increase is a big deal.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:38 PM

I'll have several strips of 20 each, and I expect that should last the rest of my life, or most of it at least.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM

752 posts, read 660,295 times
I work for direct mail marketing company and we produce a ton of mailings for our clients. I am laughing at some of you that say you just throw away all of your junk mail w/o even opening it because some of those mailings contain $1, $5 or $10 bills.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM

1,714 posts, read 466,343 times
Hey, we can't do without the good old USPS, so lets get ready for the hike, I do not mind, all things go up, except my monthly retirement check.

Compared to 20 yrs ago, out of all the bills that went out then via USPS, maybe 5% it's all I use in this day and age, all is done on line anymore.

I look forward on Wednesdays for all the Supermarket Specials that come to my door and my Letter Carrier has to support his family after all, so let them stay at their job, give tham a tiny raise and we go on with life.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I work for direct mail marketing company and we produce a ton of mailings for our clients. I am laughing at some of you that say you just throw away all of your junk mail w/o even opening it because some of those mailings contain $1, $5 or $10 bills.
The most I ever found was a penny. I kept the penny and tossed the junk mail without reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Hey, we can't do without the good old USPS, so lets get ready for the hike, I do not mind, all things go up, except my monthly retirement check.

Compared to 20 yrs ago, out of all the bills that went out then via USPS, maybe 5% it's all I use in this day and age, all is done on line anymore.

I look forward on Wednesdays for all the Supermarket Specials that come to my door and my Letter Carrier has to support his family after all, so let them stay at their job, give tham a tiny raise and we go on with life.
As said earlier, each year the need for USPS gets less. You can see it on the the charts.

I write fewer than 20 checks a year (that need to go via USPS) and most of them are for my business. (I prefer cancelled checks as documentation for IRS) After close of my business in January I'll probably write only 6-8 checks per year, if that.

I sometimes watch the Wednesday specials, other times I just browse at my local stores and look for the sale signs. If you didn't get them by mail you can always pick up a copy Wednesday at the store entrance, so we don't really need USPS for that.

Virtually all of my monthly statements are online, and all are also on auto-pay. The ones that will except CC payments go to my Amazon Prime Visa, the rest are EFT from my personal checking account.

It's going to be really bad for USPS if Amazon starts doing the last leg of delivery. They are already using their own fleet all the way to your local main USPS center (or at least they are to mine).

Old 10-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The most I ever found was a penny. I kept the penny and tossed the junk mail without reading it.

As said earlier, each year the need for USPS gets less. You can see it on the the charts.

I write fewer than 20 checks a year (that need to go via USPS) and most of them are for my business. (I prefer cancelled checks as documentation for IRS) After close of my business in January I'll probably write only 6-8 checks per year, if that.

I sometimes watch the Wednesday specials, other times I just browse at my local stores and look for the sale signs. If you didn't get them by mail you can always pick up a copy Wednesday at the store entrance, so we don't really need USPS for that.

Virtually all of my monthly statements are online, and all are also on auto-pay. The ones that will except CC payments go to my Amazon Prime Visa, the rest are EFT from my personal checking account.

It's going to be really bad for USPS if Amazon starts doing the last leg of delivery. They are already using their own fleet all the way to your local main USPS center (or at least they are to mine).
I still like getting clothing catalogs. I go online to buy the stuff but I like flipping through them on the beach or sitting outside with my coffee in the morning.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I still like getting clothing catalogs. I go online to buy the stuff but I like flipping through them on the beach or sitting outside with my coffee in the morning.
I'm an Amazon addict, a well known fact here in the forum.

But honestly I buy most of my clothes locally. I want to try it on before I buy it, and be able to drive anything back to the store and get a refund if I change my mind.

I want some nice slippers I saw on Amazon. I found a local store that carries the same, but more expensive. I plan to visit the store and try them on, and if I like them then buy at Amazon. I'm bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics