U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:21 PM

17,263 posts, read 14,829,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm an Amazon addict, a well known fact here in the forum.

But honestly I buy most of my clothes locally. I want to try it on before I buy it, and be able to drive anything back to the store and get a refund if I change my mind.

I want some nice slippers I saw on Amazon. I found a local store that carries the same, but more expensive. I plan to visit the store and try them on, and if I like them then buy at Amazon. I'm bad.
I would like to do that however I live in a pretty rural area and there’s not a lot of stores nearby. For instance I like the clothes in the Boston Proper catalog. If I lived closer to the suburbs closer to Philly there would be one nearby but down where I am there’s really nothing. I have never found returns to be difficult at all. You just go online and fill out an online form print out the UPS label and stick it back in the bag you got it from. And drop it at any UPS drop box drop. I usually order a couple of sizes and then just return the ones that don’t fit.

I just moved from a town that had a small downtown area with several really nice stores. I do miss being able to walk and shop there. But even there, most of the stores seem to be geared towards juniors and the ones that didn’t were super expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,562 posts, read 14,059,052 times
I've been considering a trial of Amazon's new clothing sales. Same thing, try it, free return for any reason.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM

28,309 posts, read 2,204,593 times
I did get a dollar in one solicitation, so I do check the envelopes. Many people still need the postal service, not everyone pays their bills online, or knows how to do so. I know my (elderly) neighbors still pay the utility & cable bills etc by check & mail. I pay almost everything online, but not everyone does.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Many people are perfectly capable of setting up online billing and auto-pay but don't like it.

I once forgot a whole damned month, didn't pay any bills. I don't know WTH was wrong with me, but I switched to auto-pay since then, haven't had a problem yet. I can examine every charge, or I can just let it do it's own thing automatically. I spot check everybody.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:20 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,664,211 times
I will tell you why the USPS will eventually phase out - but it will take awhile yet.

Soon, there will no longer be paper. We are in a slow transition from hard copy to digital. The USPS needs something physical to deliver. It will NOT get into electronic or digital delivery. It will NOT compete with UPS or FedEx in a parcel-only business.

As unimaginable as it seems, that is what we are coming to. Just look how far we have come in the last decade. I'm amazed at what I can do online now. It will grow from here.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I will tell you why the USPS will eventually phase out - but it will take awhile yet.
I've thought much the same, and in fact I thought that even earlier today.

The only reason to keep USPS open is for an excuse to pay the fancy pensions all their workers get. I wish they'd cut a deal to early retire those at an appropriate age, and transition the rest into some other vocation.

I was wondering this morning what would happen if I removed the lock on my part of our CBU (cluster box unit). Would all the mail just go away, or would USPS get mad at me?

I did get my property tax bill today. I'd hate to miss that...

Old 10-12-2018, 10:32 PM

405 posts, read 79,790 times
Wait for what? Costs increase over time. You find this surprising for some reason?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 PM

I'm making a lifetime buy... I could care less what stamps cost after.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 AM

17,627 posts, read 12,218,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've thought much the same, and in fact I thought that even earlier today.

The only reason to keep USPS open is for an excuse to pay the fancy pensions all their workers get. I wish they'd cut a deal to early retire those at an appropriate age, and transition the rest into some other vocation.

I was wondering this morning what would happen if I removed the lock on my part of our CBU (cluster box unit). Would all the mail just go away, or would USPS get mad at me?

I did get my property tax bill today. I'd hate to miss that...
I’m curious as to why you feel the post office should just go away or why you are concerned with their pensions? Are you concerned with every company and their pensions? Also I’m not sure if you’ve missed it up thread but even accounting for declining volume the usps delivers nearly 500 million pieces of mail daily, that’s a far cry from almost being gone

Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 AM

15,600 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Gotta pay for all those Amazon deliveries somehow.

Or possibly, the USPS would have died a lot sooner if they didn't have that huge influx of money from Amazon. Since no one has bothered to do the math, we have no idea if the Amazon/USPS deal was a good one or not. We simply hate Amazon because we THINK they took advantage of the Post Office.

Let's face it, who uses mail much any more ? All I get are junk mail and a few bills, bills that could be electronically sent to me via email. I haven't mailed a letter in a very long time. The Post Office is no longer relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics