Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:47 PM

31,896 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I already have enough Forever stamps to last me over 30 years at my current usage. Which is less then one per year. I think it is a safe bet that I will never buy another stamp, as long as I live. So as far as I am concerned, they can raise the price to $100 a stamp if they want. How the USPS can possibly continue to operate, I have no idea.

One, USPS is constitutionally required to "continue to operate".

Two, the thing would be on far firmer footing if both GOP and DNC politicians would stop messing with USPS and let it get on. Much of the interference comes from the postal workers unions who don't want this or that to affect what they see as a safe gig for life.

Case in point, there is no sane reason why USPS lone among any private company, branch of US government or whatever should be required to fund pensions for twenty years out. Congress makes no such requirement on private enterprises. Indeed they have often bent over backwards to accommodate often to the harm of retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t think the post office’s major problem is declining volume but rather how they are forced to fund their retiree benefits

Bingo!
The USPS retiree benefits have clause that they must maintain suitable amount to cover projected outstanding obligations. Something that if the US Federal Government stipulated on Social Security obligations would immediately make the S.S. Ponzi scheme insolvent.

Whoever structured it this way was smart as they built in the condition of solvency based on projected outlays. Basically it is a fully funded reserve requirement.

As for the USPS still existing.. well, there is a great opportunity there with all the owned real estate to make the USPS pertinent as physical mail volumes continue to decline. One would be to bring back basic banking (Postal Bank) or also take decommissioned USPS structures and make them into authorized marijuana consumption and purchase locations in states that allow it. They are generally in easily accessible locations.

The projected price increase, percent wise it is not that significant to majority of those still using the services of USPS.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, Amazon and other companies get a bulk discount, like we do at Costco.
Can confirm.

I once worked for a company that shipped a ton of stuff, and we had sales reps from Fedex/DHL/USPS in there all the time negotiating discounted rates. The rates were often incentive based, like if we shipped x pounds of stuff it would be this rate, but if we shipped y then it would be this lower rate, etc. It's a whole different level when they have their 18 wheelers backing up to the back doors of the warehouse all day.

The DHL guys were my favorite because they would bring BBQ lunch for the whole crew, but FedEx would come rolling in with NFL tickets for their corporate box including the Superbowl one year.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:20 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, USPS is constitutionally required to "continue to operate".

Two, the thing would be on far firmer footing if both GOP and DNC politicians would stop messing with USPS and let it get on. Much of the interference comes from the postal workers unions who don't want this or that to affect what they see as a safe gig for life.

Case in point, there is no sane reason why USPS lone among any private company, branch of US government or whatever should be required to fund pensions for twenty years out. Congress makes no such requirement on private enterprises. Indeed they have often bent over backwards to accommodate often to the harm of retirees.
I don't believe it is required. The Constitution gives Congress the power to establish Post Offices and Roads. It doesn't say they are obligated to do so. Anyway it might become a moot point, if postal service becomes unfeasible. Either the Government is going to have to start heavily subsidizing it, or it will collapse. Personally I wouldn't be in favor of the taxpayers subsidizing it.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
I already have enough Forever stamps to last me over 30 years at my current usage. Which is less then one per year. I think it is a safe bet that I will never buy another stamp, as long as I live. So as far as I am concerned, they can raise the price to $100 a stamp if they want. How the USPS can possibly continue to operate, I have no idea.
The postal service delivers nearly 500,000,000 pieces of mail daily and business/people pay for that delivery service. If you don’t understand how it can possibly continue to operate you simple don’t understand the demand that exist for the post office services

Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Not to mention all that junk mail from AAA advertising their life insurance 25 times a year if you ever bother joining, and all the other discounted bulk mail from charities that target the elderly. If you ask me they should not discount any mail, ever... everyone pays the same price. Would eliminate a lot of problems and generate a lot of revenue.
I get those AAA life insurance ads every one or two months. I also get an ad from Charter, trying to get me to add cable TV service to my internet service every one or two months. Fat chance of me doing that. LOL. I get about one junk mail ad a month from some random local business. Every couple of months I get junk mail addressed to a former resident. A few times a year I get government stuff, social security, social services, medical, car registration, etc.

The only time I ever check my mailbox is when I get a notice that a package has been delivered. When I go to get it, more often than not, the package is the only thing in my mailbox. I just don't even get a lot of junk mail anymore.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:52 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
What's a 'stamp'?
a tattoo that some people get on their lower back. or it can be something used for postage.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The postal service delivers nearly 500,000,000 pieces of mail daily and business/people pay for that delivery service. If you don’t understand how it can possibly continue to operate you simple don’t understand the demand that exist for the post office services
I don't know where you get your information from. Mail volume has decreased by almost 50% since 2001, and there is no sign the decline will stop anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
I don't know where you get your information from. Mail volume has decreased by almost 50% since 2001, and there is no sign the decline will stop anytime soon.
I get my numbers from real life, they are called facts. Your numbers do not contradict what I stated.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:12 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Better stock up on those "Forever" stamps!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/busin...ike/index.html
Yep. Inflation is here. Prices are going up all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics