Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 08:21 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Little by little Americans are being left with fewer choices across the board. This as federal government allows these mergers that pretty much leave many markets controlled by just a few players.

Add to this thanks to USA's nil to none existent federal laws on consumer privacy these mega mergers are creating few behemoths that have (and are basically free to do with) vast amounts of personal data.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/h...na-merger.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
A FEW players? Where?

I have one cable company choice. Oh sure i can opt for Dish network and the like. But that's satellite, NOT cable.

I have one electric and gas deliverer, and they are combined. Oh Sure i can pick a different supplier, but it's still the same company i call if the lines are downed or the gas goes out.

I have just one phone company, unless i get VOIP over the cable.

Theres no competition at all here for those things.

But yes you and im sure the artcle is correct. The govt started breaking up monopolies a while ago, now companies are merging, buying out others etc and the govt lets them do it.

Hooray for capitalism.

Hooray for lining govts pockets.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 10-11-2018 at 06:06 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
...are creating few behemoths that have (and are basically free to do with) vast amounts of personal data.
Deaver wrote a novel on the topic in 2008:
https://www.jefferydeaver.com/novel/the-broken-window/

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Do people actually buy very overpriced stuff from CVS??? I can buy a bottle of Perrier mineral-water at Walmart for about $1.50...............CVS, it is nearly 2 dollars more. Same thing with a lot of items at CVS......a store even more overpriced than Target. How do places like this stay in business............I guess it is mainly the pills that makes them the big buck$?

CVS merging, I assume prices will be going up?

Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Do people actually buy very overpriced stuff from CVS??? I can buy a bottle of Perrier mineral-water at Walmart for about $1.50...............CVS, it is nearly 2 dollars more. Same thing with a lot of items at CVS......a store even more overpriced than Target. How do places like this stay in business............I guess it is mainly the pills that makes them the big buck$?

CVS/Caremark is a prescription drug company that happens to operate convenience stores as part of their storefronts. If you have Aetna health insurance, you're going to be heavily penalized if you don't do 90 day Rx by mail from Caremark. The plan with CVS is to turn those convenience stores into medical walk-in. If you have Aetna health insurance, you'll pay a huge penalty if you use the ER or some random urgent care instead of seeing the nurse-practitioner at your local CVS storefront. All your well care and the usual minor things get done by CVS/Aetna employees at the CVS storefront.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
CVS/Caremark is a prescription drug company that happens to operate convenience stores as part of their storefronts. If you have Aetna health insurance, you're going to be heavily penalized if you don't do 90 day Rx by mail from Caremark. The plan with CVS is to turn those convenience stores into medical walk-in. If you have Aetna health insurance, you'll pay a huge penalty if you use the ER or some random urgent care instead of seeing the nurse-practitioner at your local CVS storefront. All your well care and the usual minor things get done by CVS/Aetna employees at the CVS storefront.

Exactly!

It's all about captive audience/client base. That and the vast troves of data we all bring to table. Couple this with DT and GOP killing any sort of rules reigning in binding arbitration, gutting CFPB, and pretty much hell bent on letting big corporations do whatever they wish, and we're all in a world of trouble.

It has been over one year since the Experian hot mess; and they've largely gotten away with nothing more than being spoken to by federal government. Only reason DT/GOP are after FB, Google, and other tech firms is because they are run by (and favorites of) liberal/progressive democrats who won't do the bidding of conservatives.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Little by little Americans are being left with fewer choices across the board. This as federal government allows these mergers that pretty much leave many markets controlled by just a few players.

Add to this thanks to USA's nil to none existent federal laws on consumer privacy these mega mergers are creating few behemoths that have (and are basically free to do with) vast amounts of personal data.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/h...na-merger.html
Likely will push Buffett and Bezos to move quicker. into Pharma/healthcare

Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Exactly!

It's all about captive audience/client base. That and the vast troves of data we all bring to table. Couple this with DT and GOP killing any sort of rules reigning in binding arbitration, gutting CFPB, and pretty much hell bent on letting big corporations do whatever they wish, and we're all in a world of trouble.

It has been over one year since the Experian hot mess; and they've largely gotten away with nothing more than being spoken to by federal government. Only reason DT/GOP are after FB, Google, and other tech firms is because they are run by (and favorites of) liberal/progressive democrats who won't do the bidding of conservatives.
One note
The new WH attorney replacing Don McGahn is the attorney who represented those suing Experian
Thought that was an interesting client for him when I read his recent bio
Wonder how that ties into representing the WH...seems contradictory to me except for the money he likely made...so transactional behavior like Trump's...

Old 10-21-2018, 11:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

I moved my family's prescriptions from Walgreens and CVS to Kroger after the merger was announced. The grocery store is much closer to my house than the chain drugstores. It also sells the same items, like the bottle(s) of Perrier, cheaper than the corner pharmacies. Consolidating my purchases increases my fuel points on my Plus Card at the end of the month.

Target selling their pharmacy departments to CVS a few years ago was tame compared to the Aetna merger. Fewer choices was worse until this merger was proposed and it seems that the insurance company will cover prescriptions only at the company-owned store. Too bad the vertical merger (more dangerous) was approved, but this is a different administration. The last administration stopped the horizontal mergers of AT&T/T-Mobile and Staples-OfficeDepot.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:49 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
we have our part d from aetna . we can do mail order or get the same prices from cvs.

i had part d from humana and my wife had part d from aetna . i just switched to her aetna plan as the same generic prescriptions were way less. so we use humana for our supplement and aetna for part d .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics