Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 PM

172 posts, read 107,334 times

Advertisements

Instead of crying just start your own company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
They're free to buy as much stock as they want in any public company. If they work for a private company, they're free to quit and start their own business and take on all the risk that entails.

If none of that is palatable to them, they're free to immigrate to the country that better fits their social, political and economic philosophies.
Perhaps each employee should be granted stock automatically, making each a shareholder. Then they, as shareholders, can vote to cut their own pay to minimum wage so the stock price goes up! D'oh!

Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,400,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Instead of crying just start your own company.
I’m not crying, I’m educating.

And I will.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 PM

725 posts, read 802,584 times
Employees tend to be the most fortunate ones in a corporation because no matter how the company performs financially they get paid. If the company goes under they get paid while shareholders lose their capital investment. Employees have every option to buy shares in a company and sharing the same risks as other shareholders. I do understand companies that have profit sharing with workers because it gives employees an incentive to be the most productive and keep costs down.

The real problem in corporations are the management who reap enormous benefits and pay even when their poor decision making and performance destroys a company. These executives vote themselves these 20 million dollar severance packages and suck a company dry. People always talk about how evil the banks, Airlines or telecom companies are but it’s the management who are often responsible for problems and poor customer service that destroys a brands reputation. Shareholders which include pretty much everyone (through pension funds, 401Ks, IRAs, other retirement and brokerage accounts, every person is directly or indirectly invested in many companies through their parents, spouse or kids) suffer.

Shareholders have a right to vote but the way voting is structured the board of directions of a company make recommendations and nominate themselves to reappointment. It is very hard to get shareholder proposals put up for voting and when they are the board of directors recommend against it. There is also no way for shareholders to communicate with each other in a forum and coordinate their voting and proposals. Only shareholders with 5 to 10% ownership in a company get certain rights.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You’d have a point if the U.S wasn’t already the largest economy is the world decades before the pentagon was even a thought and before the usd replaced the pound.
That’s what rapid industrialization plus Latin American colonialism and the largest western population gets you.

The sustainment of the empire after WW2 was because of what I mentioned.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,768,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Perhaps each employee should be granted stock automatically, making each a shareholder. Then they, as shareholders, can vote to cut their own pay to minimum wage so the stock price goes up! D'oh!
How much stock does each employee get?

Do they vote on the wages of every existing and new employee individually?

What do the shareholders who have invested millions or billions get?

Who manages this whole process and how are they compensated?

How does the company make money if all they’re doing is voting on each other’s compensation all the time?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
How much stock does each employee get?

Do they vote on the wages of every existing and new employee individually?

What do the shareholders who have invested millions or billions get?

Who manages this whole process and how are they compensated?

How does the company make money if all they’re doing is voting on each other’s compensation all the time?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Stocks shouldn’t even exist being as labor production isn’t a commodity. Ownership should be equal among all employees.

Imagine if our political system was a stock market and non citizens would make decisions for use because they owned capital in our well being.

Equal say for everyone and only everyone who works in the company. They democratically control it.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:54 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,768,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Stocks shouldn’t even exist being as labor production isn’t a commodity. Ownership should be equal among all employees.

Imagine if our political system was a stock market and non citizens would make decisions for use because they owned capital in our well being.

Equal say for everyone and only everyone who works in the company. They democratically control it.
You still haven’t answered the question of where your money, if you have any, is invested.

Maybe you’re just sponging off mommy and daddy while you think about these things.

Anyway there’s a huge difference between being an employee and a citizen, maybe you should look into it in your spare time.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You still haven’t answered the question of where your money, if you have any, is invested.

Maybe you’re just sponging off mommy and daddy while you think about these things.

Anyway there’s a huge difference between being an employee and a citizen, maybe you should look into it in your spare time.
I know more about being a citizen and being an employee than most. I also don’t invest in stocks as I practice what I support.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,354,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't, I think companies should be worker run democratically since they are the ones who keep the company operating, not the ones who manage the capital.
So let us know the name of this utopian company after you create it, and we will all go work there.

And in your business model, when the company gets sued, do all the workers in the company pay for the lawsuit?

I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics