Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 04:26 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
In 2012, both Obama and Romney paid 12%. They both paid a lower rate than my 25 year old daughter.
I am no fan of Obama OR Romney but I really don't believe your 25 year old daughter paid much more than 12%. You have to look at the effective rate, not the marginal rate. Effective rate is the average after all deductions are taken out. Unless your daughter makes over $100k, it is unlikely she is paying much more than 12%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 04:35 PM

106,555 posts, read 108,696,306 times
most do not understand marginal vs effective tax rates . in fact they don't understand the AMT system either which can almost be a flat tax from dollar one with few allowed adjustments once the phase outs are hit .

Old 11-24-2018, 04:36 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,305,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How does that work? If you eliminated the income cap on FICA my taxes would go up so how do your surmise it wouldn’t?
LowExpectations refer to posts #226 and #231.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,778,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Eliminating the “cap” of FICA payroll taxes upon an individual’s annual wage not exceeding $132,900.00, doesn’t increase their taxes. For $200,000 in annual wage WITH NO ADDITIONAL NON-WAGE INCOME, there’s effectively slightly more than a half percent of tax increase.
The bolded statement is contradicted by the underlined statement.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
The bolded statement is contradicted by the underlined statement.
SuiteLiving, the contention in this case, (considering the survival of the Social Security retirement system and proportional to our entire tax rate), a half percent increase of tax rate upon gross income should not be considered as a material difference of our tax rates). Your post indicates that you’re among those sharing the contrary opinion.

I would suppose you do not agree with my appreciation of Social security retirement system’s contribution to our entire national economy.
Elections and horse races were both created to test differences of opinions.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,778,998 times
Quote:
SuiteLiving, the contention in this case, (considering the survival of the Social Security retirement system and proportional to our entire tax rate), a half percent increase of tax rate upon gross income should not be considered as a material difference of our tax rates). Your post indicates that you’re among those sharing the contrary opinion.

I would suppose you do not agree with my appreciation of Social security retirement system’s contribution to our entire national economy.
All I said was the second sentence contradicted the first. Everything else is a figment of your paranoid imagination.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
All I said was the second sentence contradicted the first. Everything else is a figment of your paranoid imagination.
SuiteLiving, we do not argue the fact that my second sentence literally contradicted my first (sentence).
Your second sentence. “Everything else is a figment of your paranoid imagination”, is another of your opinions upon which we differ.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:06 PM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:

When you take my money from me and give it to someone else, I can no longer spend that money, but the recipient of your largesse can spend it. How is this a positive contribution to the national economy?

Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
When you take my money from me and give it to someone else, I can no longer spend that money, but the recipient of your largesse can spend it. How is this a positive contribution to the national economy?
Depends on income level. Those who make a lot save a lot. My wife and I save more a month than I earned my first year out of college. If you doubled our taxes we'd just save less.

Increase taxes on the upper 5% of income earners and you won't effect the economy very much. Increase taxes on the bottom say 75%-80% and you will have an immediate ripple effect.

Fun fact most of the top income earners in the US make their money off of the bottom group. The phrase "pool people don't employ people" isn't really true - they spend 100% of their paycheck and that goes right to employing people, and driving profit to those who own the capital.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Depends on income level. Those who make a lot save a lot. My wife and I save more a month than I earned my first year out of college. If you doubled our taxes we'd just save less.

Increase taxes on the upper 5% of income earners and you won't effect the economy very much. Increase taxes on the bottom say 75%-80% and you will have an immediate ripple effect.

Fun fact most of the top income earners in the US make their money off of the bottom group. The phrase "pool people don't employ people" isn't really true - they spend 100% of their paycheck and that goes right to employing people, and driving profit to those who own the capital.
I can’t tell if you are answering my question or not. If you are, it isn’t clear what point you are making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics